What is the warmonger penalty for capping one city?

cephalo

Deity
I really don't like being declared on and then merely defending my cities. I'm about to take an enemy city in response to their surprise war, and I'm wondering if I'm going to lose friends over it.

If you fight a joint war with someone, and you end up taking a city from your common enemy, does your ally then hate you for the rest of the game because you took his enemy's city?

I find this mechanic rather unsatisfying.

So I took the enemy city, and here's what the tooltip said. The warmonger penalty is tripled for razing a city. If you keep the city, you get a warmonger penalty that can be refunded in the peace negotiation if you give it back.

All is not lost however, I found that if you take a city, you can immediately get favorable terms resource/gold-wise if you give the city back, and then you can go about your business.

EDIT: btw, the warmongering score for each choice was 'Egregious' at this point in history. So I have no idea if they are different or if there's a cap or whatever. Heh. They want to avoid giving us numbers, but around mid-game the game runs out of descriptors for how bad your action is.

If you fight a joint war with someone, and you end up taking a city from your common enemy, does your ally then hate you for the rest of the game because you took his enemy's city?

Sure, why not? Your ally doesn't want you getting spoils from war. They just want your help. Just as you (rightfully) don't want to see them getting any spoils from the war to be honest. We all want the best for our own civs only!

It would kind of make sense if they could work it out so that when you declare peace, you all come to a negotiation session. And as long as you and your ally get equal spoils, then there are no penalties. But that's just not a feature of the game.

Ok, I have a little update to report. I gave the city back to France, and I do not have warmonger score with any other civ. However, With France I have a -48 warmonger penalty! All I ever did to her was capture her city in response to her surprise attack, but then I gave it back. What is the source of this warmonger penalty then?

That, I don't know and in my games I haven't seen that although I've been in the same situation twice.

Like I said, it didn't happen to me and I killed plenty of enemy units; so that's not it.

So I go surprised attack by someone else, and this time I razed his city. For razing his city, I got a penalty, from relations with him for razing his city, NOT a warmonger penalty. Also I got no penalty from anyone else. This could be because he was denounced by everyone. So I'm guessing at this point that warmongering penalties are effected by relations between civs.

It could be. I conquered my first city in a defensive war today in the Industrial era. As far as I can see, I have suffered no warmonger penalty. Definitely nothing from my Ally unless the screen runs out of space and doesn't show all the modifiers. I can't find one with another civ who already denounced me, either.

Top Bottom