What is this Mod about?

Bill Bisco

Callous Calling
Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is this mod and what's different about it?

Thanks,
Bill

Excellent question and an oversight on my part to not include some kind of explanatory post/thread. (Gives me the idea to start a FAQ thread - but I've not had that many questions yet.)

Anyway, MOO2Civ is an attempt to recreate the MoO/MoO II/MoO III series civstyle. Originally released by NCCSavage mid-2007 as sort of a Civ-conversion of Master of Orion, based on the 2nd edition (MoO II or MOO2 for short). The mod is currently following in NCCSavage's footsteps and receives occasional help from many quarters.

So what is Master of Orion? Originally a space-based strategy game, somewhat similar to Civilization, featuring 7 races in the 1st edition, 11 in the 2nd and 16 in the 3rd.

You may or may not recall that the Fantastic Worlds expansion of Civilization 2 included a simplified MOOjr scenario. Here's some lines of my redo of that scenario:

Expand your empire by founding new colonies, seek out rival races, conquer alien worlds and then attack Orion and finally defeat the Antarans to become MASTER OF ORION.

This version greatly expands on the original MOOjr scenario by using a custom made map, adding many new units, Wonders, advances and greatly expanding the terrain, while several original units, buildings and Wonders have been edited to get a perfect Master of Orion jr feel.

The 7 races present are:

- Humans
- Sakkra
- Psilon
- Klackon
- Gnolam
- Darloks
- Elerians.

Aliens include several non-player races (Meklars, Silicoids, Alkari, etc.).

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=8267

It featured all the races now present in MOO2Civ, on which some detailed infos are uploaded here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=8135794&postcount=20. I've added a survey of the currently playable races below. (I may add a complete visual display of all races and leader to post #1 of the Download Latest Version thread later.)

Attachments

• MOO2Civ races0000.JPG
    MOO2Civ races0000.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,954
I'd like to give this mod a try. I'm a bit confused though, downloading it - do I need to download all the different patches or is there a full version that includes them all so far (I clicked on one that said it was full version but then it also says Patch 4I as well) Is this the right one? I am downloading it anyway, but I thought I had better ask before I try to install it)

Is the mod for Final Frontier? (do I need to load the final frontier mod first?)

Will it be interesting for someone who has not played Master of Orion? I am interested in space based strategy so that is why I would like to give it a try. Is there anything that players need to know who haven't played this particular game?

Patches marked Full Install are just that (like patch 4l); in-between patches may not be full versions and the download page will indicate the full version they belong to. Besides the info in post #2 there's always additional info on the download page of full versions, including screenshots. Originally MOO2Civ indeed was a Final Frontier mod, to be installed on top of a copy of FF; since Full Installs appeared this is no longer the case - you can play the mod as is. MOO2Civ is still a work in progress and if you're interested in space based mods, you might also want to have a look at Star Trek mod by deanej. Though MOO2Civ is obviously based on the Master of Orion series, I reckon it will still be interesting on its own merits.

Hope you have fun with it. ;)

PS If you have trouble getting patch 4l to load, you might want to try patch 4k (previous Full Install) here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13037

Great MOD,
I will definitely give it a try!

It would be great to see this thread or an expanded version with more details as a sticky!

On behalf of all the contributors so far: thx!

Forwarded your sticky suggestion to a moderator. ;)

Top Bottom