What is worse? Physical, psychlogical, or sexual abuse?

What's worse: physical, psychlogical, or sexual abuse?

• physical abuse

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • psychological abuse

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • sexual abuse

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • i like them all

Votes: 12 20.3%

• Total voters

angeleyes

mood indigo
What do you think is worse for the future of a child: physical, psychlogical, or sexual abuse? Of course it depends on how long and how bad, but besides this, do you think one is worse than the other?

with poll.

Sexual abuse is both psychological and physical abuse.

Usually Physical and Psychological torture go Hand to Hand. From a Tv Program i've seen based on several murderers(Who where captured eventually) it appears sexual abuse (Rape)in a young age may be the worst physical and psychological torture.

You understand that the Poll is invalid ?

This question seems rather nonsensical.

There's no sort of assault (besides the fatal kind, and surely we're excluding that?) that is as heinous as rape.

Maybe, just maybe, he meant for the first tow choices "physical" or "psychological" abuse that isn't explicitly sexual abuse as well.

Even if he did, the question still makes no sense.

Obviously, abuse comes in degrees. So someone grabbing your ass is sexual abuse, but its clearly better than slowly tortuing someone for days (physical abuse). On the other hand, raping someone (sexual abuse) is clearly worse then slapping them in the face (which is physical abuse). Thus, the entire thing comes in degrees.

Now you may be tempted to say "well which is worse when the offense is comparable". But the mode of comparison is how bad the offense is! So if the offenses are "comparable" then they are roughly equally bad by definition!

I guess the only option left is to compare the "worst example" of each of the three, but that seems a bit silly too, iif not completely nonsensical like the question as originally posed.

Sexual is by far the best. IMHO it shouldn't be punished more than normal abuse (ie beating someone up). I know way too many girls crying "wow I was raped" and getting rich because of it, when they admit to their friends without any trouble that it was just like normal sex, and they enjoyed it. In fact, I think it's more human than most of the abuses, if not all.

Psychological is the worst, but it needs really, really good planning, and few people are capable of exploiting even 5% of what psychological abuse can do.

Physical abuse is close to the psychological one, but not nearly as dangerous as the psychological one. The only thing is that it's so extremely easy to abuse someone this way. We all can. That's why in total, around the world, physical abuse probably harmed A LOT more people, though I maintain my opinion that psychological one is worse.

Edit: I agree with Fifty, BTW. The question doesn't really make much sense.

There's no sort of assault (besides the fatal kind, and surely we're excluding that?) that is as heinous as rape.

Why do you think that?

I'd say that psychological abuse is the worst. I also fail to see how sexual abuse is necessarily psychological abuse.
If you rape a 5-year old, he may well not even distinguish it from any other physical abuse.
Physical abuse gives the child a place to hide, inside itself. The child's mind can develop, and develop free from interference, although tainted by the danger of the world around it.
Sexual abuse is just a form of physical abuse.

Well when your third option is both option A and option B, it's probably going to be worse than A or B alone.

No, you could think it has only a little bit of A and B, not being as worse as plain A or B.

Even if he did, the question still makes no sense.

Obviously, abuse comes in degrees. .....

I think i captured this in pointing out "Of course it depends on how long and how bad", i'm curious what you think at first glance, i don't expect you to have a study of the topic first.

I think i captured this in pointing out "Of course it depends on how long and how bad", i'm curious what you think at first glance, i don't expect you to have a study of the topic first.

At first glance, the question makes no sense. :p

To be honest, i think sexual abuse and physical abuse both (as long as those don't give you something permanent as a child or something damaged forever) can be regarded as psychological abuses. Question remains what's worse.

At first glance, the question makes no sense. :p

Don't be shy to take a second one. Don't take the question too scientifically or phylosophically. I'm sure you have some thoughts about it: eg. is yelling at a child as bad as slapping him?

EDIT: even senseless questions can provoke interesting discussions:p

Why do you think that?

I'd say that psychological abuse is the worst. I also fail to see how sexual abuse is necessarily psychological abuse.
If you rape a 5-year old, he may well not even distinguish it from any other physical abuse.
Physical abuse give the child a place to hide, inside itself. The child's mind can develop, and develop free from interference, although tainted by the danger of the world around it.
Sexual abuse is just a form of physical abuse.

I think we got on the wrong footing here.

A few points i disagree.

Physical torture is also Pshycological torture. Psychological torture without Physical torture can produce Phychological torture with effects worse than those produced by Physical torture but both are psychological torture.

I disagree that little children couldn't understand the difference of a rape it is of my opinion that such events can change the whole life of a child. In the program i had seen Usually those who suffered sexual torture also suffered other different physical torture but it seemed like it was the Rape that they thought as more dangerous , caused the most fear.

The distinctions don't make as much sense as you'd like.

That said, psychological abuse is worse. Setting sexual abuse somewhat aside, the scars of psychological abuse (and the psychological impact of physical and sexual abuse) are more permanent and severe than the scars of physical abuse (including the physical element of sexual abuse).

Top Bottom