What Is Wrong With This !$(#@ Game?

Jason_Els

Chieftain
Fourth time I've tried to get a civ going on Warlord level and I keep getting dumped in horrendous terrains usually combining arctic ice, desert, high mountains, or dense jungles! I cannot get a foothold in the world and I invariably end up getting put next to the Zulu or Aztec. Last game I quit in frustration because 6 veteren archers and spearmen got wasted by ONE Elite Impi. The game before that I got all my cities stuck at 12 population waiting for Hospitals while still in the Renaissance and not only was growth extraordinarily slow but I got beaten out of every Wonder I attempted to build even when everyone was trailing me in technology. The "puny" Egyptians managed to crank out Leonardo's and Adam Smith's with just 4 cities to their nation.

Conducting war is nearly impossible on large maps with many civilizations and pausing to produce even a competitive military puts me so far behind in the tech race that I get wasted fast by smaller civs which don't seem to have a problem building a huge military and keeping technologically advanced at the same time.

I have to say this game is a huge letdown from Civ 2. If the AI is better in some areas it's cheap in others. No wonder movies (which I sorely miss), no animated rulers/emissarys, no world view even when satelllites are discovered (really disappointing omission), and music that's either rehashed from the old games or wildly inappropriate. Planting spys is impossibly difficult without saving/restoring ad infinitum and other espionage missions don't seem worth the time. Military units aren't as balanced as before either and my fighters just sit on the ground getting bombed when enemies attack! Why can't stealth fighters perform air superiority missions and why can't they do this ALL the time??

Forget about trying for military victories unless you starve conquered cities to near obvlivion or waste the other civ in one turn. This is my biggest complaint. Sitting around handing out technologies and furs for world maps and spices is nice in the beginning but the game quickly turns tedious as the only option for winning appears to be smiling, waving, and building the UN. And you can forget that if the Aztec or Zulu have any sizable civ anywhere in the world. They won't leave you in peace no matter how nice you are. Why on earth didn't Fundamentalism/Fascism stay in the game? Why do post-patch cities flip for inexplicable reasons?

I was hoping for animations, movies, more detailed views (certainly more than 2 zoom sizes), new units and tehcnologies that could offer increased depth of play, and certainly deeper trade and foreign affairs options. Trade in this game is a joke. I can't store all that wonderful iron I regularly find nobody has any surplus items to trade. There is also a trade bug where I lose the ability to trade with civs I have been trading with even when there are direct routes to that civ and there are items to trade.

Civ used to be a Mercedes-like franchise; outstanding in all its strengths and always a generous manual that was actually informative and interesting to read. I applaud Firaxis/Infogrames for including a manual but it's not exemplary.

Civ was about using different play styles to play the same game whether peaceful, warlike, or scheming. A player could win a variety of ways using different startegies. In Civ3 however, I feel greatly restricted in play style; forced to be U Thant in EVERY situation even when it isn't practical or healthy for the civ under my stewardship. This, combined with the un-random randomness of my starting positions and the numerous bugs such as in the middle of one game suddenly the Japanese, Egyptians, Babylonians, Germans, and Greeks appeared out of nowhere but weren't represented on my diplomacy or trade screens even after I initiated contact through a third party and established embassies?

This civ is a half-baked effort and particularly galling after the great Alpha Centauri. We are not amused and that, to me, makes the game less than enjoyable.

Sorry to make my first post a rant but when what is arguably the single best PC game ever made screws itself I get kinda mad. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well... Perhaps the game isn't as broken as you said and you need to learn to play better :) ... I've no problem playing at Regent, and many people even manage at Deity!

Hang out in the strategy section too, maybe you'll learn some tips :)

I'll agree one could always learn to play better but it is as broken as I said it is (opinions expressed being separate from bug issues).

Jason:

I'll agree with you on one point, sometimes the starting position is really nasty. There's an easy solution to this, however. Use the editor to create a random map, and then reset all of the starting positions to good ones.

Other than that, I think you just need to learn how to play better. I play on regent and monarch and kick some serious a$$. Also, the "Killer phalanx" problem seemed to sort itself out once I got to higher difficulty levels.

Good luck strategizing!

Hmmm, what to do, what to do?
If you find that you stink at the game, why not attempt to read the manual that Firaxis so generously included?

If, you find the comp 'cheats' at higher than minimal dificalty, why not set it lower?

If you theink that the trade system is not deeeeeeeeeep, enought for you, why not go play a game like Pharao, it has loads of trading.

If you ran into a battle that the enemy won against all odds, why not reload?

If you dont like the game, why do you tell the people that DO like it?:confused:

Tell me,why could you not do any of these things? Why could you not simply ask for help? Why bother ranting? Why do you not understand that Firaxis was under no obligation to program a game to your exact specifications? :confused:

-Sorry, I just dont like rants...:crazyeyes

*Oh, oops, this is a rant too...*;)

Thing is I didn't "stink" at Civ 1 or 2. On both of them I played regularly at Emperor level (and won) with occasional forays into Deity level.

"If you don't like it why don't you leave" replies really don't answer any of the problems. I'm not ready to give up on the game yet and if someone can kindly address these problems then I'd be happy to try out any suggestions. I bought Civ3 because of its heritage. Even Mercedes makes lemons sometimes (a lot recently it seems :( )

Really though, no need to be so insulting about it. My opinion differs from yours and sorry if you feel threatened by mine but dismissing my opinion doesn't do a thing to back-up yours.

Thanks,
Jason

If you were good at Civ's 1 & 2 because you could adapt your strategies quickly to meet new problems, then you should be able to get good at Civ 3.

If you stuck to the same strategy all the time when winning Civ's 1 & 2, Civ 3 isn't going to be a walk in the park. It is fundamentally different in several ways.

Thank you Sparrowhawk. I have won Civ 3 three times now by being elected SG of the UN but every time it's required that I appease aggresors to the point of extortion. I can't seem to keep military might balanced with technological improvements. I certainly do not get nearly the level of city production I did with the previous civs so it takes me much longer to do anything.

I still believe that at Warlord level (at least) there are some unreasonable AI advantages but if that's not anyone else's experience please let me know. I've been reading posts from others here and I've seen my same concerns addressed by others so I'm glad I'm not imagining all this.

So what do you do differently?

Thanks,
Jason

Someone else was having some problems and asked for tips back in this thread a couple of days ago.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12064

There are a lot of different strategies, all good in their own way. If you don't want to read them all, here's my general strategy:

In my opinion, one of the worst things you can do is start a war
earlier than you have to. I use the following strategy generally:

Build ~10 cities as soon as possible. Make sure to connect them
with roads, and improve them with mines. Build lots of workers.
If you build more than 2 or 3 defensive units per city you are
wasting your resources. Research "strategic resource
technology" as soon as you can, followed by republic. Build
wonders with maybe 2 of your biggest cities. The great library is
indespensable, as are the pyramids. I always keep my science
at max, and use luxury resources to keep people happy.

Contact as many civs as possible. Trade territory maps with them
for free until they are willing to trade world maps for free.
Sometimes just 2 gold will be enough to loosen their pockets
with their maps.

Give in to minor demands. One technology is not worth losing
cities over, and really not worth losing the resources to research
more techs over. If you rival gets too demanding though, war is
basically inevitable. As soon as someone extorts money/tech
from you, start reinforcing that border. If you are attacked, get
other civs to ally with you. All of a sudden your enemy will need
to defend several borders at once.

After you get knights, find an enemy. With knights, you should
be able to kick some serious butt. Keep attacking when you get
cavalry. Stop as soon as your enemy is using infantry. No
matter how much artillery you have, cavalry can't take out
infantry. When you get tanks, you can start attacking again.

With regards to restarting, I don't bother continuing play if I don't
have iron. Everything else is negotiable.

I prefer playing as the egyptians or persians, and the americans
are another of my favorites.

I've won twice with culture, once by diplomacy, and once with spaceship, although I could have won by conquest on all of them.

Well, my technology is quiet different (it only applies if you have 1-2 other countries in your continent and it is quiet small). Build military, research horseback riding, and attack. Destroy other civilisations in continent. You will have many cities without actually building them. You may build military and culture instead of settlers at that time.

I just attempted just that. I had started with the Greeks and immediately dropped 4 cities. Couldn't do more after that as I was boxed in on my penninsula and/or there were tall mountains. I build Pyramids and Oracle and then started building Hoplites and Horsemen.

They sucked.

At Ninevah, a lvl 1 city with 1 veteren spearman defending behind walls, I used up 2 waves of 6 horses and 9 Hoplites and didn't take the city. Taking Babylon required approximately 3x the number of Hoplites as it did Babylonian spearmen. One Babylon archer took out 6 Hoplites. All my forces were veterans. Horsemen were nearly useless usually unable to get an opposing spearman or archer to under half health. At least they were capable of retreating.

I was never able to take Ninevah no matter what I threw at it. Keeping track (and I'm serious) that one veteran spearman defended Ninevah against 21 Hoplites and Horsemen by the time I gave up and made peace. Of course by then the Zulu (who were dropped next door to me for the FIFTH time in a row) were trying to kill me. Though I had produced nothing but military units not only had the Zulu 2x as many cities as I had but their military forces were superior and the histogram showed everyone else as tiny (including Babylon). This represents the typical war-footing game I'm attempting to play and frankly it sucks. All my cities were doing nothing but cranking out units except for the 2 wonders very early on and throwing up walls and barracks. I had to drop all science production to support my units and even then I couldn't keep up. Like you, all the cities I captured (2 in total) had nothing left in them. So for all that effort against the wimpy Babylonians who had inferior troops I managed to get 2 cities of 1 population and finally ended up bankrupt and in last place.

This blows.

Hoplites at 1/3/1 are a strong defensive unit. But at 1 attack, of course they're going to be blown away by a spearman. By the time you finish tossing in all the defensive bonuses, a spearman could be at 4+ defense. Only losing 3x the number of Hoplites as enemy spearman was a lucky battle in your favor!

It sounds like you need to work on your military tactics a bit. Get fast attackers like horsemen out early. At lower difficulty levels, you should be able to get horses and archers to enemy cities while they're still defending with warriors. You'll blow them away. Once they upgrade to spearman, you should never be sending a 1 attack unit into battle. Use fast units to harrass them while not dying and swordsman to actually have a chance at hitting them. Always send in single-strike invasion forces not waves. Units standing in a city are going to be healing every time a turn ends, your units aren't.

Also, why build the Oracle if you aren't building temples? Did you really have that much unhappiness? And why build walls unless you're worried about being sieged? If the enemy counterattack can take out a pair of Hoplites defending a city, you're probably going after too strong a target early in the game.

Also, don't worry about "stinking" at Civ3 when you used to be good at earlier Civs. It happened to everybody. Civ3 is both harder to play well and the computer is a much better cheater. I used to stomp older Civs at Deity but found Prince an even match in Civ3. I thought I was hot **** the first time I beat Monarch :lol: Now, after a couple weeks, I'm back to beating Deity and haven't played anything lower since before the patch.

Because Sparta and Athens kept falling into disorder at lvl 6 from unhappiness under Despotism even though both had temples. I didn't have any units except warriors and bowmen and the bowmen get mowed in my experience. Either way I'm glad I didn't wait. I would have been boxed into my penninsula if I had waited to invade. I get 3 civs starting on my little continent while the Germans and Americans shared the one big one and each started at opposite ends. Now that I know about the end-of-turn battle bug though I'm sure my odds will improve if I wait until the very end of the turn to launch attacks.

I'll try again....... and NO Zulu!

Cat? You suggested reading the manual? Have you read the manual? The manual is incorrect so frequently as to hardly be recognizable as belonging to the game.

Other than your suggestion to "read the manual", I think that your comments are good.

The problems you had with not being good at civ 3 and kicking but at 1&2 is the exact same problem I had. However, I did not give up and now I think I am willing to go higher than warlord. I think. lol. Just do not give up and you will find that soon, it is so much better because you stuck with it and beat it all bu yourself.

Jason I must say most of your complaints are based on the fact you are not as yet a good CIV III player, maybe soon you will be, if you think the AI gets far too easier time of it at Warlord, then wow, you got problems at the higher levels.

I must say this, early on the AI seems to want to expand, and do it really fast, pump out settlers, and build wonders. So as early as possible you attack, if you are Greek take a hoplite and attackers as a group, attack with the archers or horseman, defend with the hoplites, move them as a group. and hit hard and fast while the AI has got only warriors. Then sue for peace when you have them stuffed, don't kill them off, use them to get techs and money, just keep them down like the dogs they are. lol

As for you building a wonder so early, don't waste the shields, most early wonders are a waste of time, you will just fall behind, get the wonders later by taking the AI cities that hold them.:D

And as for sadness even though you have temples, haha, temples are small fry, if you rush the hell out of your cities, you'll need temples, libraries, universities, every luxury you can get hold of, basically sometimes over rushing your buildings is long term bad news. You almost have to starve the citie to death and start again with new citizens. But only after you are going to Monarchy or republic.

I hope that wasn't too long, just wanted to say give it a chance Jason, your complaints are totally due to your own learning curve, not problems with the game.

Jason,

I can sympathize with most of what you say. Here's my take it. I suspect that the game has been altered so that it controls what you are allowed to do at various stages.

For instance, I have also had hoards of my knights rampaging through another civ which only has spearman defending. The game lets you capture maybe 3 cities then you meet the killer spearman who wont let you get that city whatever you throw at it. I can only conclude that the game controls the outcome and fixes the fight results accordingly. Therefore, I have taken what cities I can get in a particular war, agreed peace and come back later for the others. This is only my theory but it seems to fit my experiences and might explain yours

Similarly, I suspect, though I cant prove, that the science rate is also controlled. I have played games where I whacked up the science to the max but still couldnt get advances earlier than the norm. I think its because they dont want you building modern armour in AD500 so they fixed it so that its not possible.

This is my theory and I am adapting my strategy to fit in with it until I have more evidence one way or the other.

Cutiestar:

I claim to hold the record for "longest length of time a city suffered from past oppression". My capital was discontent because of past rushes from 500 BC to 1620! I estimate that I rush-built 40 horsemen in 120 turns (flood plains with wheat bonus... food production was enough to allow me to rush every third turn.)

Had it been any city other than my capital, I would simply have abandoned the city and rebuilt another on top of the ruins....

(In order to abandon a city, starve it down to size 2, then build settler. City will refuse to abandon even after settler is built unless the city is not producing any excess food.)

Captain:

The science rate is, indeed, controlled. You are prevented from researching a new science in less than 4 turns. This is the only outright restriction, but there is a strong indirect effect caused by the fact that the cost to research a tech decreases when other civilizations have learned that technology. What this means is that it if you fall behind in tech, it is relatively easy to catch up. (This mirrors the way that technology advances work in real life. Ethiopia has cell phones. Ethiopia could never have researched cell phones on their own (at their present rate of education and civil organization) but they can have cell phones because the technology becomes easier and easier to latch on to the more other countries know about it.)

I think that your other theory is incorrect though, (concerning the "killer spearman".)

Jason,

Were you whipping people left and right in those two cities to hurry production? Temple + Oracle + 2 garrison smileys + Warlord base support should keep a size 6 city out of disorder even if you had no luxuries. If you're going to despot rush, you'll never (well, for a lot of turns) be able to support large populations in the cities that you hurry production in. You always have to keep whipping to keep the population down at manageable levels (2 or 3 pop with a few luxuries). If you want to get by with large, happy cities, never whip more than 1 or 2 people per city and have at least one luxury per person whipped.

Also, bowmen will get mowed on defense, but they're your best attacker until you start building horsemen. Make sure they're always the one attacking and they'll do far better than anything but a fast move unit on a per shield and support basis until the enemy has a base 3 defense defender. After 2000 BC, warriors aren't much good except for the garrison smiley they give.

Top Bottom