1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your Dream Mod?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by lugaru, Mar 25, 2008.

1. lugaru

lugaru Chieftain

Dream Mod #1

"Battle of the Gods"

Heavily inspired on Gods of Old and Age of Mythology, in this mod you would play a god instead of a ruler. Makes sense, given how the ruler survives through all history.

It would be set in 'our world' only with the change that all polytheistic religions are true, therefore an Aztec civilization would be able to select deities such as Huitzilopotchli and Quetzalcoatl while a Viking civilization can select Loki and Thor. Each civilization gets 4 gods as leaders (with still portraits, I'm realistic) and depending your god you get bonuses related to War, Death, Love, Prosperity, Agriculture, Trickery or whatever it is your god is good at.

Each civilization would found a religion when they appear and each city that contains the religion produces 1 espionage (renamed Prayer). Your civilization can expend prayer points to perform miracles, summon mythical beasts and bring devastation down on enemies. Also more prayer points means your god can see further into other civilizations.

What is stopping me? Time and skill. I need to finish my current mod first and then maybe I'll be able do do another one and know what I'm doing this time around.

Dream Mod #2

"Fallout Mod"

Based on the excellent Fallout games, this would be a post apocalyptic mod where humanity must re-start after the nuclear war. This can be played on a USA/CANADA/MEXICO map provided or on a random one. The terrain features lots of radiation and 'barbarian' units such as Rad Scorpions, Raiders and Deathclaws.

Civilizations belong to a faction (Valt Dwelers, Brotherhood of Steel, Raiders, Mutants, Tribals) with about 2 to 3 civilizations per faction. Each faction has a very different set of starting bonuses with Vault people having the most Tech, Brotherhood the most Arms, Raiders the most Troops, Mutants the most potent troops and Tribals the most cities and population. Hopefully after a few dozen turns things should start to even themselves out and the game becomes competitive.

My favorite part would be working on new civics such as "Self Medication" and "Eat the Dead". Promotions become Perks that match the series and huts become ruins of cities. This game would be played on a large map where salvaging ancient vehicles, weapons and technology is very important.

What is stopping me? A million things, starting with the existance of appropriate units since I dont do modeling. After that it would be a pretty intense project remaking religion, civics, the tech tree and most assets. Still not a bad mod to daydream about and hopefully one day create.

2. aspower

aspower Chieftain

Nice ideas. I enjoy your posts in another game's forum (daerdevil). As to your idea for a Fallout mod, you might want to check out Colin's Necro Cristi mod. It's a post-apocalyptic mod that shows off some cool units. Instead of mutants, there are Undead troops as Barbarians. It's not quite Fallout, but it does have some good references to it. Plus it has a Road Warrior type civ, which is always a plus in my book.

Here's my idea:

Days of Future Past Mod

Ripped from the pages of the X-men, this would be an all out super-powered Mutants vs. Sentinels (robotic mutant hunters) mod. Civs could include:

Mutants (led by Magneto, Prof. X, Emma Frost)
    -Units: replace different units w/ a mutant
    fighters = Angel
    tank = Colossus
    Infantry = Wolverine (starts w/ medic upgrade)
    -UB: Cerebro- espionage bonus

Sentinels (Master Mold, Nimrod, Senator Kelly)
    -Units: different types of robots to match strengths of mutants
    -UB: Repair facility (restores unit's health in city)

Superheroes (Capt. America, Mr. Fantastic)
    Units: Similar to Mutants
    UB: Avengers HQ - = 25 % bonus production for certain units

Homo Sapiens (hadn't thought that one out completely)
    Units: Existing armor, infantry, fighters, bombers, etc
    UB: Fallout shelter -to hide from mutants, robots, etc. +1 :)

Atlanteans (Namor, Namorita, Attuma)
    Units: Sci-fi type vehicles, infantry w/ fishbowl helmets, maybe Killer Whales for Naval units
    UB: Atlantean Fountain: - 25% war weariness

What's stopping me? Well everything. There's almost no existing units (I've actually seen a Phoenix out there) and I'm not a modeler. The tech tree would almost be meaningless as this scenario IS the future, so I'm not sure how it would be modified to make it work. Play balance - how do I reflect how powerful a Sentinel, yet give the other Civs a fighting chance? Scaling: Does Wolverine = 1 person or 1 army of mutants? Do I limit how many Wolverines you can make? or does Wolverine just represent fighting style mutants? So lacking the skills and time, this is probably just a dream mod. Anyways, one can always dream.

3. micmc

micmc Warlord

actually my dream civ mod has more to do with the empire building than the combat aspect of the game.

1. a multi-layer "goods"(bonuses) progression,
    dye + silk/cotton = textiles,
    Gems + Gold/silver = jewelry
    textiles + Jewelry = trading goods (for either + to trade routes or better as "barter" with "lesser tribes" (non civ's, non barbarians) who will trade oil/coal/bison leather/whatever.

also with this basic system allowing civ3 type of buildings (that produce a unit ever X number of turns)

A gradual increase (by techs + buildings) to improvements allowing super cities..

and/or
    city buildings that cost enough to force a choice of city type, trade/learning/manufacture + a internal farm system so workers become pointless except for road building after the Renn or industrial age.

Unique bonus(es) per civ with a Marco Polo type of unit that can learn/steal the bonus type for the home-civ. Much like the far east and new world contributed to the european culture in the way of trade goods/uses of trade goods.

a delination point between Poly and Mono religions, where a choice has to be made between super strong mono religons and more adaptable Poly religions where either in the other's city would cause strife forcing the player to choose for a city/empire

Events triggered by a players choices,with religion (if you choose religions A B & C, religion D goes jihad) and with commerce (too much forestry turns a square into a desert) and with the military, (a heavy reliance on calvary will trigger your enemies to focus more on counter infantry.

what is stopping me? Mostly I'm just getting back into modding and still trying to relearn to keep all the little details straight. Most of what I want to do I think is doable through simple XML, except the barter and events,

4. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

Actually, I think this would even be possible in BtS since they handle multiple instances of resources (corporations!)

Not sure how hard it would be (still new to modding Civ), but having a building TEXTILE_MILL that requires BONUS_DYE and BONUS_COTTON (*new) and outputs BONUS_TEXTILE (*) would make trade very cool.

5. micmc

micmc Warlord

thanks duuk, I hadn't looked at those yet, but that gives me great hope, ..and how do you become a right wing liberal? I mean is there a class...or like corspondence school...maybe a video?

6. ripple01

ripple01 Emperor

TheLopez made a modcomp that does exactly this. I don't know if it's been updated for BtS...

Cheers,
    ripple01

7. vdogamez

vdogamez Chieftain

I was thinking of a space mod, with travel between planets or asteroids or space stations.

Another cool idea would be ants. The civs could be differient species, and there could be techs like fungus farming, domestication, bridge building, caste system, archetecture, weaving, hunting, and other things ants can do that are cool. Then the ants could go further and use tools or humanlike technology. That would be really fun.

8. lugaru

lugaru Chieftain

Days of Future past would be sweet... arent Freedom Force meshes are not compatible with the game? That could be a great source of models. Otherwise yeah, I would use 'mutants' as the main grunts (who have random promotions aka powers) leaving name characters as Heroes a la Fall From Heaven.

As for Ants I've considered that they would be great in an RTS but if you alter the landscape I guess they would rule in CIV 4 too. I've thought about an 'animal' mod that forces different species to evolve and become antropomorphic but that is a pretty much implausible future mod unless I became a really prolific mesh maker.

9. alms66

alms66 Warlord

My dream mod would be a total conversion of the game...

Take all wonders, units, buildings, etc out. Rip everything out except the tile engine and start with nothing but the concept, no pre-existing notions of what Civ should be...

The concept:
    A player leads his people from the dawn of civilization to the present and beyond, competing for resources in a world similar to our own, populated by many other players

Maybe when I retire, I'll have the time:cry:

10. lugaru

lugaru Chieftain

Nice, it would be like a total conversion... INTO CIVILIZATION. If someone did this mod I would love to see it start in the nomad period and still see nomadic tribes until late in the game.

11. seZereth

seZereth FfH´s art monk(ey)

I would love to see a mod on a smaller scale than worldspanning empires, more like settlers II, where you have to build up an economy with goods, being able to transfer them into different things. visually by small carts and peasants walking on the roads from your production sites to the different buildings, just to make everything look more alive. Then you build goods for trade (happiness, health, building stones, etc.) or war equipments (interchangable depending on what resources you have, giving you different weapon and armor and item combinations) and finally equip your soldiers. a unit should consist of around 10 to 20 models and you should not be able to stack two regiments, maybe only a regiment and a special person (healer, general, other support stuff). And thus introduce more tactical combat with huge regiments clashing in flanking strikes, ranged attack of archers, non deadly combat and stuff.
    The world would be filled with lots of interactable stuff, like ancient ruins, animals, tribes you can trade or hire mercanaries or stuff, caves, events and all those stuff which make it seem alive.
    It would focus on the very early years of mankind, starting from a stoneage like stuff (10.000 BC the movie anyone?) and evolving until the dark ages or something. so everything is still on a small not too global scale.
    It should not focus on a tech race and techs should only give minor advantages and might better be discovered by actually working things (like an economy with lots of woodproduction will likely evolve in that, if possible).

I would only be able to contribute Graphics to it, thats why this might not happen... ;)

12. cfkane

cfkane Emperor

I'm actually trying to pull together my dream mod right now. I just can't drum up enough support for it to get more skilled modders to help me, let alone get published.

13. rkade8583

rkade8583 Realism Invictus Player

My mod dream is very simple. Make Marathon look like a quick game. Make huge maps look like duel maps. Make 18 civs the low end.

14. Crayton

Crayton King

My favorite TV show has been Stargate and a basic mod for this would be enjoyable.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=265214

I'm having trouble adding a unit mission that allows a unit to be instantly transported to a random location, though (any help? :))

15. Crayton

Crayton King

Another "dream mod" may be one in which the number of civilizations starts at 2-4 and then empires break up over time, creating more (newer) civilizations.

Civilization traits and names are determined through the course of the game, most likely through religion (or other ideas using the religion/corporation dynamics).

16. Roads

Roads Warlord

I like many of the ideas here especially the ones about empire building. Top of my list are communities. That is, much like Jeckel's JZoC mod (needs culture), a 9 square block including a resource plot. So you could have farming communities, fishing villages, mining camps, etc. It would give much more flavor to the game and eliminate the need for those "marginal" cities that are such a pain. Actually it would be nothing more than a Civ3 colony and probably unbalance the game unless the AI also built communities. However it seems like you could just play on a more advanced level if the AI wasn't added. I know I'm having a hard time winning on Monarch right now.

Sure you could just make JZoC give culture and have the same thing but how the game looks is important and a map dotted with cities and forts and communities is a lot more appealing than just cities. I got the idea after playing with Jeckel's JZoC and liking it so much. Also I'm getting pretty sick of Montezuma plopping down a city on every resource on the map. :)

17. SerriaFox

SerriaFox King

I think my dream mod would be:

Master of Magic:

including to separate research trees, one for normal tech and the other for magic tech.

Implementation would be adding a magic sliders, or maybe replace the espionage slider