1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite Civ IV mod?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civ001, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Civ001

Civ001 Chieftain

So, which mod out of the Civ series did you enjoy the most?

2. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

I don't play mods. Unless you count BUG/BAT.

3. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

I would suggest excluding BUG/BAT and any other mods that are more like utilities than modifications. There are a lot of people who use BUG/BAT and don't consider their game to be 'modded' at all...and I'd be interested in knowing what those people play when they play what they do consider a modded game.

I've played Rhye's a few times and never tried anything else (though I play 25 civs on a huge map with better BAT AI all the time), so it would have to be my only choice for 'favorite' (unless you insist on calling better BAT AI 'modded').

4. MilesBeyond

MilesBeyond Prince

Really enjoy K-Mod. If you want a better game but aren't terribly interested in additional content, K-Mod is the way to go. A ton of improvements (especially to AI) but very little actual content is changed from BTS (the only thing I can think of is some of the corps have been altered and switched around on the tech tree - Cereal Mills is now competitive with Sid's Sushi Co, for example).

As far as actual additional content goes:

Realism Invictus is possibly my favourite. It's best to think of it as "Civ on steroids," as it adds an absurd amount to the game, while still keeping things more or less the same. That is to say, unlike some mods that turn the game into a completely new experience, RI just takes Civ for what it is and crams it full of millions of things. I would recommend playing the game on the slowest speed possible at first so that you won't get overwhelmed by all the new content.

Caveman to Cosmos (often abbreviated as C2C) is, well, RI on steroids. It adds in several new eras and an unbelievable amount of content. I believe that there is actually some shared content between the mods as well. It also adds in some unique gameplay features such as the ability to hunt animals, as well as a sort of almost RPG-esque experience where your leader gains experience over time and can use that experience to acquire new traits.

However, C2C is notoriously hardware-intensive, and all but the most modern PCs will struggle running it on anything other than standard. This is why it's not my favourite mod: my computer can barely even run it on tiny! LOL

Fall From Heaven and its sequels are mods that I've heard an immense amount of good things about, but that I've never actually been able to get into.

5. Windsor

Windsor Flawless

Among the full-conversion mods its DuneWars. A very solid mod that got less attention than it deserves since it got released so late.

But overall I find Civ4-mods to be overrated. Minor mods like K-Mod and pure interface/graphics like BUG and BlueMarble is good since your basically still playing the base game, but full conversion mods gets trapped in some kind of uncanny valley for me. Also, I hate the "everything and the kitchen sink"-mods.

6. Pomphis

Pomphis Warlord

Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn

7. duckstab

duckstab Child of Noble Family

So far, I have to say Sword of Islam is my favorite. But I haven't actually tried all that many.

I've been trying to get into C2C because it has certain features that I really like, such as having dynamic traits and tying availability of UUs and UBs to choices you make. Sadly, however, the actual gameplay has so far not lived up to my expectations. The early game just feels very repetitive, killing this animal and that and constructing one minor building after another. The version I have (which is not current) is also pretty buggy -- great people having no available actions, signs disappearing, and so on.

I'll probably come back and give it another try with the latest version someday. Things may have improved for all I know.

I've played a few games of FFH2 and I really like it for a change of pace.

8. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Not in any particular order, but;

R. I.
    VIP
    HRW
    ROM AND
    Quot Capita
    TTT series

Plus a host of others that I occasionally play just for a change of pace. Additionally, I also play TAC and RAR for Col, and am waiting for the update for Medieval.

9. Robo-Star

Robo-Star Prince

I also enjoy K-Mod, and it's the only mod I've completed a game with. It gives Serfdom a boost too (extra commerce from farms and towns plantations, less commerce from towns).

10. Ambidexter

Ambidexter Edjumacated Idjit

I just spent 60 hours playing a C2C game. Now I'm ready for another one.

11. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

The Yxklyx mod - half the fun's modding the game.

12. alex15

alex15 2004

Barbarians! mod that comes with Warlods expansion

Playing Civ4 since release but havent played any mods yet expect Barbs mod few days ago, i only tryed playing mods for few turns, horever id like to try playing mods later i hope.

13. The Diocletian

The Diocletian Fire Fly

RFC: Dawn of Civilization by far.

14. Qgqqqqq

Qgqqqqq Emperor

Fall form Heaven 2 (or more accurately, its child mods) by a long way. Took a little while to get into them, but now I rarely go back.

15. Pepo

Pepo Prince

Lor is a really good mod-it is basically a fan made expansion.it makes really intereating games with revolutions that make countries go to civil war
    Ffh2 and R .I are also really good.C2C can be great but i find that there are too much buildings

16. auagxa

auagxa Warlord

Isn't that also a feature of the base BTS? :crazyeye:

17. Yxklyx

Yxklyx King

I think he just means that Cereal Mills is about or as good as Sid's Sushi. I modded the corps too to make them more balanced.

18. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Similar with VIP mod, Corps are now comparable with their counterparts, and the guilds are actually worth while in investing time in during mid-game.

19. UncleJJ

UncleJJ Deity

Fall From Heaven 2. simply the best :D