What is your favorite Civ to Play and how you play them?

Thunda

Chieftain
What is your favorite Civ to play and how do you like to play them?

My favorite civ is Spain. I get a thrill out of scouting out natural wonders and the huge boosts they provide. When I play them, i'm in the mood to crush the world and so I will re-roll the map multiple times until I get at least 2 good wonders in settling distance :)

The more I play CIV, the more I find warmonger CIVs the best and most rewarding challenges. I'm currently playing on AUSTRALIA map as MONGOLIA on Diety/Marathon, and my 6 Keshiks are running amok.

England: love to crush the world with my Ships of the Line, on Continents map!

I don't have a favorite but one of my favorite things to do as Aztecs is spam jaguars and finish Honor turn 60-75, then race down piety and have my God of War religion and culture through roof. Very fun stuff.
Ethiopia: CITY SPAM, the stele helps :)
Venice: Since I'm allying lots of city-states anyway, I like to get all the militaristic city-states when their UU comes into effect so my army looks bizarre. Venetian Panzers, along Venetian Pranichas, with Venetian Infantry that ignore terrain cost. It's awesome :D

Portugal, because I`m a money whore. China is also good if you prioritize Paper Makers early, and I feel okay with completing any VC with them, not only domination.

I love playing as the Aztecs. Very strong military right from the Ancient Era, and a nice Culture boost early on from killing things. With Honor it's really easy to max out a tree or two off Barbarians (especially as I play with Raging Barbarians).

The Floating Gardens is so strong too and it never gets the glory of the Jaguar. The extra food becomes more science through population, more Production, more Gold, more everything.

Aztecs = awesome.

Sweden's probably my favorite...few things are quite so fun as playing nice and peacefully for the first part of the game and then going all warlike in the later part. Plus their music's good.

Babylon for Science. Planting that Great Scientist after Writing is so incredibly powerful.

Sweden's probably my favorite...few things are quite so fun as playing nice and peacefully for the first part of the game and then going all warlike in the later part. Plus their music's good.

Ditto. Carolean dance ftw.

I also like the Netherlands. Finding good polder cities (and Sid forbid, starting in desert with Flood Plains) and getting an early gpt from neighbours along with then pumping out those crazy Sea Beggars.

I personally find it more fun to play as the mediocre civs rather than the easy strong ones.

Venice. $. Trade routes galore. Hog all the wonders that give GM points or extra trade route (x2 for you!)

Siam, because I like the fact that their UA works differently each game depending on the map context, without making them wholly map dependent (yes, I am looking at you, Spain), and that it's an effect that rewards effort rather than a free boost like +2 naval movement or whatever. Siam is an extremely strong civ, but you only get out of it what you put in.

How I play them varies with the map, as mentioned, but usually I go for a diplomatic and cultural focus (although with every civ I ultimately aim for science victory as my 'main') - domination only if I have a lot of militaristic CSes.

Arabia. I love the extra trade route, I love having all that extra oil. I enjoy rushing to their UU, and the Bazaar is an awesome building.

a really close 2nd is Babylon for the early great scientist to plant. that gives me an easy tech boost early which on higher difficulties makes a huge difference.

Gandi. I maintain happiness easily with him which to me is mostly all that matters. I always open Liberty and spam settlements faster than the computer even on higher difficulty levels immortal etc.

I have different favorite civs, for different play styles. 90% of my games are Immortal/Standard (continents or pangea, sometimes small conts, or TSL's)

Warmongering, I will pick Shaka. Usually on pangea's, but I have had a group of 9 battleships with 7+ promotions on a fun continents map. Obvious 25% quicker upgrades is amazing, and I don't feel obligated to go into honor. Instead I grab Commerce, down to the discount of buying everything. I use the landshekts like my Impi's because they gain the same promotions and can be devastating later on when upgraded to Lancers. Not to mention +3 move melee units, are amazing for warmongering.

Everything else I'll pick Monty. Love, love, love their UB and UA. Their UU isn't that great, and I hardly utilize them. Hanging onto them all game, upgrading just for the 2 promotions they get, isn't worth it to me. I'll just upgrade my bows.

When I'm feeling like a whore, I'll play Egypt and spam wonders on Immortal/Epic. Usually re-roll until I get a solid Petra start, for the added OPness.

portugal is cool. I really like the UU an UI. Portugal's ability, having to do with commerce and diplomacy, does not really cease to be relevant at any point because of the WC. what wth the additions to these categories (trade routes and WC), portugal is fun, at least for someone new to BNW.

portugal is cool. I really like the UU an UI. Portugal's ability, having to do with commerce and diplomacy, does not really cease to be relevant at any point because of the WC. what wth the additions to these categories (trade routes and WC), portugal is fun, at least for someone new to BNW.

I'm playing a Portugal game now, but got perhaps the worst possible start for trying out the civ - on an isolated island with Venice on the opposite side - the only city I have that can trade with it has too few resources for the UA to make an obvious difference. No city-states anywhere to be found, so no UI yet (is it just me, or are there now many fewer city-states on large maps? I haven't played a game for a while where I've met more than four, even with 12 civs in play). Soon to reach Astronomy, though, and then the fun will begin - the extra distance will work in my favour for the Nau if not for trade.

Denmark, with maybe Zulu a close second, because they are the only ones where you can get extensive use out of a pre-Industrial non-ranged UU, which gives games with them a "feel" that is missing from all the other civs. But Denmark primarily because with them embarked armies don't obsolete by the time you reach target.

I'm playing a Portugal game now, but got perhaps the worst possible start for trying out the civ - on an isolated island with Venice on the opposite side - the only city I have that can trade with it has too few resources for the UA to make an obvious difference. No city-states anywhere to be found, so no UI yet (is it just me, or are there now many fewer city-states on large maps? I haven't played a game for a while where I've met more than four, even with 12 civs in play). Soon to reach Astronomy, though, and then the fun will begin - the extra distance will work in my favour for the Nau if not for trade.

It's true, it can be a little situational. But the thing about Astronomy is what I mean. As with many civs, the early game can be tough, and Portugal is one that reaches its fullest potential starting around the Renaissance Era :gold::gold::gold:

shame about the city-states, though, as that wastes the Feitoria

(is it just me, or are there now many fewer city-states on large maps? I haven't played a game for a while where I've met more than four, even with 12 civs in play).

That's crazy unless Austria obviously. Sounds more like the CS count advanced setting is switched on. Feitorias come in on Navigation anyway so no real harm having to hunt other continents first. But the frustration of Feitorias is that city states all seem to have the same 3-4 lux types now. You only get about 8 happiness you wouldn't have otherwise.

Mine has to be Japan post patch, I find them to be the most flexible so I can go for any VC.

The early culture boost that they can get helps immensely, their ability to keep fighting at full strength when weakened helps when at war and the fact the samurai are awesome fighters have just now got the ability to build fishing boats allowing for cheaper expansion mid game.

This just allows for any type of VC which I like being able to adapt to the changing circumstances of a game.

I just wish there was something better than a zero (while the unit is good, its sort of useless in most games) a unique building or improvement would better round out the Japanese I reckon.

Top Bottom