1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your favorite civ?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Hylt22, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Hylt22

Hylt22 Chieftain

What's your favorite civ in civ 4, and why?

2. CivNoobie

CivNoobie King

Justinian Bieber and Charles the Gay

3. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

I like the Sumerians a lot - pretty good UU, good UB. Hate the leader though, so I seldom play them.

4. jarhead_leif

jarhead_leif Civ2ToT Modder

.,i love picking the Carthaginians.. ,does that mean i'm cheating?? :mischief:

5. xenex

xenex Prince

Dutch and Carthage.

6. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Is this question exclusive of the Leader, as that changes things a lot?

Carthage as a Civ, exclusive of Leader, is okay. So-so UU and fairly specific UB. Hannibal is a fine leader though, so as a whole they are strong.

When thinking of a "Civ", exclusive of leader, I first think of Starting techs and synergy. UU and UB second.

So, for instance, Pacal is my favorite leader, but Mayans by themselves aren't that great although there UU/UB are quite solid. Starting techs aren't great.

Best starting tech combos are 2 of Agriculture, Mining and The Wheel.

So I'd say Ottomans, China and Mali are solid civs. And yeah, Sumeria is nice as a civ too - nice starting techs and good early UB. And, ofc, Egypt.

India and Spain get honorable mentions for the great UUs, but starting techs and UBs not so hot.

I'd probably say my favorite "Civ" are the Ottomans, probably as I really like Mehmed. (Don't even care about Janissary, by the way)

7. jarhead_leif

.,here either, i rarely use numidian cavalries(for flanking promotion but lesser strength??..for me they're still weak).,.i guess Fireaxis really tried to balance everything from traits to starting techs to UU to UB..:mischief:

8. elmurcis

elmurcis Emperor

I love Dutch.. Its just so nice CIV - starting techs that usually are great, traits that don't need to explain (creative is trait that allow to destroy early enemy city without war :D ), UU that let me to control seas, UB that let production jump up to the sky.. Best for big maps with lot of water and lot of AI :) And with this CIV i play 1 difficulty level higher to make it equal difficult than just with random civ/leader...

9. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

No, only picking Inca is cheating.

For a first time player, my favorite would be Hatty.

My personal favorite that I always seem to do well with is Washington. I know objectively there are better leaders but I do the best with him.

10. jarhead_leif

.,with those Q's??
    ,maybe..mostly in higher levels where ai's have opening archers...

.,so, it is prohibited then!?:mischief:

11. tdy99

tdy99 Prince

Probably Elizabeth of England. I love the trait combination. I also love Redcoats. They come at the perfect time as I tend to war at about the rifleman age.

12. Ataxerxes

Ataxerxes Deity

IIRC Inca isn't allowed for certain games but I'm not certain. :confused:

If you're playing lower levels the warrior rush is available and Q's have free Combat I, same as Agressive leaders. Q rush is actually better on lower levels, it's just that Agressive leaders can do the same.

Inca still has a tip-top UB and two good traits as well. Very few UB's can rival the Terrace.

13. babar

babar King

Playing unrestricted:

Yeah, Inca are the only civ with two top tier uniques as far as I'm concerned. Even without rushing with them, Quechuas are awesome. (Playing as god intended, Huayna is well above average too).

My favourite leader is Gandhi. Not sure why, as both his traits are above average rather than great. They have some synergy I guess, but nothing spectacular. Could be that I just get lucky maps with him...

I like Spain a lot recently. Both the uniques are fun, and for me at least have a novelty value since I used to avoid playing them. Mongols are definitely my favourite if I'm going to war early. Best with some kind of a Charismatic leader.

14. lymond

Gandhi's traits are fantastic.

Spain's Conquistador is the best UU next to the Faster worker, for me. (I'm not a Q guy) I never build Citadel's though unless for some reason I don't have horses and go the Steel route.

15. babar

babar King

I guess individually I would consider PHI and SPI better than anything except ORG and FIN, but not that much better (I rate all the other traits except AGG, PRO and IMP as average). My estimation of PHI has been going down steadily over the years, but it does suit my play-style.

Citadels are definitely a little frustrating, but I like taking out the first couple of cities and SoD with siege, and finishing off the rest of the empire with horses, so citadels help out there.

16. SamSniped

SamSniped DJ Goodboye

I personally love Justinian I/Byzantium, but I have no problem with playing any specific leaders.

17. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Russia/Catherine is my beloved ^^ Not when I'm playing it but when I play against it ! Don't You just love her when she slaps Your face in fury while Your SoD proceeds to take over her lands ? :lol:

18. nerdfighter13

nerdfighter13 Prince of the Universe

I like the Persians because Cyrus is creative, and his immortals are dominate in the early game.

19. lymond

Cyrus is charismatic and imperialistic. He is not bad though. Darius has obviously better traits, but although IMP is considered on the not-so-hot side, there is synergy there with charismatic. Cyrus can get a lot of GGs with IMP and CHAR makes good use of them. Plus, Persians have good starting techs to get IMMs online asap.

20. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Cyrus was creative in Vanilla.