What is Your Favorite Unique Unit?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Aarvaead, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Holycannoli

Holycannoli Deity

Nobody's mentioned Chu Ko No yet? I love Chu Ko Nu. They come at a very good time in the game for me, they get 2 first strikes, +50% vs melee (and melee is always the biggest threat facing me at that time), and they cause collateral damage.

Where I never use crossbowmen playing another civ, I always pump out Chu Ko Nu as the Chinese. They're walking catapults with more uses.

2. opticaljim

opticaljim Warlord

The Que-Cha. I've always believed in an early start to conquest or at least creating room and the Che-Qua is custom designed for just that.

They are built for effectiveness against the archers, primary city defenders. If you build barracks quickly and give them the City Raider upgrade you can destroy 1 or 2 civs before they even get off the ground. That, coupled with the Incan financial trait allows for quick civ expansion through the remnants.

3. flamingzaroc121

flamingzaroc121 Emperor

The Navy Seal if you think there so weak go into xml and make them 10 strength or something and play against them. see how that feels

4. bassist2119

bassist2119 Warlord

Janissary - always the first to gunpowder but never built a musket. If you have a tech lead, Janissaries get +50% vs. EVERYTHING!!!

5. Agarwaen

Agarwaen King

+25%;)

with turns the janissary almost a 11,25 str. Musketman, a strong unit but appears too close from riflemans and grenadiers:(

6. bassist2119

bassist2119 Warlord

I stand corrected. Still a reason to build a unit that I (and seems others) skip entirely.

7. AncientPlayer

AncientPlayer Warlord

My thoughts exactly. My normal style is a momentum builder and the Redcoat is devastating just when I need it most.

8. turquoiseninja

turquoiseninja Cylon Centurion

Aye. Redcoats are indeed a nice unit. Quite dominate, much like the preats.

9. Periander

Periander Chieftain

Haven't the Redcoats been nerfed, they used to be awesome, able to take on Infantry.

10. turquoiseninja

turquoiseninja Cylon Centurion

Well, they've been nerfed, but they can still kill riflemen....

11. botur2young

botur2young Warlord

i agree
    the only game i ever played as monty i had no iron.
    i was certainly grateful for jags then.

12. acidsatyr

acidsatyr be water my friend...

Janissary is perfect for drafting.
    It goes well with Otto's UB. It's like perfect package.

13. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Blast! He beat me to it!

I like the UUs that can be drafted...among them, the Redcoats and Janissaries the best (although to effectively draft a janissary army you need to be more advanced at the top of the tech tree than the bottom).

That's why the Redcoat is the best in my opinion: it's not vulnerable to grenadiers (did they change this in Warlords? Been too busy to check...), has a bonus against cavalry and gunpowder units (what other units are there on the map at that time? I know cannons, but they are strength 12), and they can be drafted (get a more powerful unit for your population sacrifice).

I've played only two games as England (both as the fellow redhead Elizabeth), and both were incredible Industrial-era fights until Domination wins in the early 19th century. Great games...

14. The Navy Seal

The Navy Seal Emperor

Redcoat can kill just about anything in there time period one time I was trying to destroy the English but as soon as they got the Redcoat they kicked my butt ouch!!

15. acidsatyr

acidsatyr be water my friend...

It's easily possible if you rush to liberalism via education and get free nationalism and just get relatively cheap gunpowder tech. The real issue is having relatively large cities so you can draft multiple units per city at this stage

16. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Good lord, has anyone posted about Carthage's UU yet?

It's one of the most well-designed UUs in the game, if I may be so bold. Sure, it takes a strength penalty, so I think most players would tend to skip over it. But, the +50% vs. melee and the Flanking I promotion gives you incredible options (with barracks and stables, two early promotions):

1. Immediately create a sentry for watching other's territories.
    2. Create a double flanker for a 50% withdrawal rate, and then add +10% strength.
    3. Create a combat/shock unit for melee hunters--look at the numbers:

Numidians: 5 Strength, +10% strength, +75% vs. melee = 9.25 with 20% withdrawal rate!
    Spearmen: 4 Strength, +100% vs. mounted, +20% (assume double-combat) = 8.8

Look at that! It beats a counter on the open field (no terrain defense for the spearman calculated--then it would be ahead barely). And against axes, I'd rather have Numidians than chariots!

The concept of the Numidian cavalry is reduced strength in some areas, but incredible boosts in others. That is what makes it awesome. Don't believe me? Try a game as Hannibal--with Financial/Charismatic traits and this UU, you'll have a blast.

17. JLH Fans

JLH Fans Chieftain

That's exactly what I wanted to read from word to word.

18. shivute

shivute Prince

My favourite is the Janissary - get gunpowder quickly before 1000 AD and nothing can stop you. He is a superb all rounder and nothing beats him in the field at that time. However doesn't get city raider promo which I adore and nothing upgrades to him which makes me :(
    He looks cool too.

The prat rules though - so strong and great promos and the best time to get your UU.

19. Cro_Army

Cro_Army Chieftain

I know that the best UU is imortals.

20. Kartik

Kartik Warlord

It use to be, but now it is far from the best. All the UU's are balanced now IMO.