What is your favorite xml editor?

planetfall

Emperor
I've been using jedit and it is great for syntax highlighting, but civ's xml files are long so sometimes scrolling can be a pain, and it's annoying to change the text font size.

Just curious what others are using and how they like the tool/app.

Notepad++

I have looked into GUI editors and every single one has the same problem: if a tag has MaxOccurs=0 in the schema and isn't mentioned in the xml file, then the tag is missing in the editors. This makes them somewhat useless, at least for mods where all the new tags are optional.

I started messing around in order to make my own, which is intended to fix this problem. First I used wxPerl, but it turned into a nightmare for moving the editor from one computer to another. I had a rethink on distribution and realized everybody have the game itself. That made me make a mod, which can modify xml files.
https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/xml-gui-progress.561743/page-2

Right now it's usable if you know what to avoid because parts aren't completely finished and/or are buggy. Maybe I should just disable everything, which isn't working as intended and release it as is. I still have some great plans, but being alone with this project (nobody would join me :cry:) is a pain particularly when I also have other stuff to attend to (like WTP).

I wonder if there are Notepad++ plugins that make tabbing through the XML cells easier, because that's the only thing that doesn't feel very convenient to me right now. I never looked into that though.

Notepad++ here as well. It has full syntax highlighting and even has a plugin that lets you check if the file has any broken tags or stuff.

Right now it's usable if you know what to avoid because parts aren't completely finished and/or are buggy. Maybe I should just disable everything, which isn't working as intended and release it as is. I still have some great plans, but being alone with this project (nobody would join me :cry:) is a pain particularly when I also have other stuff to attend to (like WTP).
I'd help you if I could but I literally have no knowledge of ruby.

hmmm, like the hyperlink search function in jedit better but the bold values in notepad++ better. Annoying issue with N++ is sometimes recent docs disappear from doc list and have to search

I've newer had that issue my self. What version are you using?

notepad++

The most annoying "feature" of notepad++ is menu-open folder-select explorer and often explorer does not launch. This was a bug with earlier versions, but still does not seem completely fixed.

Version is latest greatest: 7.6.2 64bit

The most annoying "feature" of notepad++ is menu-open folder-select explorer and often explorer does not launch. This was a bug with earlier versions, but still does not seem completely fixed.

Version is latest greatest: 7.6.2 64bit
Have never used that feature as I only work in one folder and it's files one at a time.

So do I, but jump list is defined as only 30 files of last edits, and too often need a file that would be number 31 to 40 so have to go to file open...

You really need to consider using more shortcuts at that point. I have my work folders set up with shortcuts to relevant files and folders to make work much faster. And as a result I rarely ever need to consult more than 2 or 3 recent files.

1. Right click on the file or folder you want.
2. Select the "copy" option.
3. Open the folder where you keep your work stuff shortcuts.
4. Right click.
5. Select the "paste shortcut" option.

Examples of good things to keep shortcuts include but are not limited to your XML folder, various commonly visited art folders, save files you use for testing etc.

FYI-- the open-folder-explorer fail in notebook++ can be resolved by closing and reopening the app. Guess it gets confused when switching between a vpn and non-vpn environment

Top Bottom