What is your favourite world wonder to build and least favourite?

Vahnstad

King
My favourite is Chichen Itza. It gives some amazing tiles. Likewise, i also like Petra, St. Basils Cathedral and in the late game Amundsen Research Station. Mausoleum of Halicarnassus is useful as well. Huey Teocalli isn't usually worth the production as those lake tiles are something you end up using secondary.

Other wonders i like are Forbidden City (extra wildcard policy slot is insanely powerful and gives you more room to choose a government), Colosseum, Oracle, Potala Palace and so on.

What i dislike: Great Bath

Never builded: most religious wonders, as i'm a noob in religious victories and have never actively pursued it.

Depends on the Civ.

Probably Petra, especially when playing Mali.

Huey when playing the Dutch. 8 production from a lake tile? Yes, please. ;)

It's fun to get ridiculous yields. :D

I probably build Oracle in every game but I also love Forbidden Palace.

I've never built the research station because it's just so late in the game and also with highly specific requirements I never have. In the games with tundra/snow tiles I'm more likely to be playing culture (Sweden or someone).

Pyramids or Oracle are my favorite. Least favorite could be anyone of the Deity trap wonders...Great Bath, Stonehenge, Machu Pichu.

Oracle, without a doubt. On King at least it's very easy to build, too. Also Pyramids, Temple of Artemis, Forbidden City and Big Ben. And Petra if I have a good spot for it. Basically all the Wonders but especially Oracle for those lovely GPP.

I don't build Stonehenge as a rule; even if I can build it, I generally want a Holy Site quite early anyway, so getting a religion isn't an issue. Also Great Bath... why would you even try?

I like building the Hanging Gardens because I think the model is absolutely beautiful.

But I never get to.
Machu is a wonder I will hustle to try to get, but ultimately Mausoleum + colosseum are the ones I truly try to plan around. I think mausoleum needs to lose its engineer ability because of the sea tile buffs (certain engineers are totally Op with it.)

Mausoleum. But it's totally OP

I hate building any of the ancient wonders that don't have strict requirements coz it feels like you're more likely than not to get scooped.

Machu Pichu, it completely upends the options for how you lay out your empire and that's fun.

The Oracle, to help me collect all those Great People, and then the Mausoleum at Halicarnassus to get the best return on my investment with Great Engineers! I'm quite attached to Petra too, under the right circumstances. I've never yet built the Great Bath or Colosseum, as there always seems to be something more important to do at the time.

Oracle would be one I'd hate to miss out on and I'll usually have a go at getting most of the extra policy card ones. I kind of miss the old Mausoleum bonuses to GAs as well as GEs - being able to get two free ironclads and then turn them both into armadas was always entertaining. The rest are situational, but I'm coming round to the general consensus that the Colosseum is A VERY GOOD THING.

The colosseum IS good obviously but it costs a lot more than you think at first considering everything you need to build in order to make it. Iknow other wonders have prerequesite buildings/districts too but those are more likely to be things you'd build otherwise (unpopular opinion I know). LIke I said it IS good though so

Love building: Golden Gate Bridge and Panama Canal. I don’t think I’ve ever really gotten much benefit from them, but they’re fantastically fun to build in the right (or hilariously wrong!) place.

Hate building: Amundsen-Scott because it’s setup is tedious (even if it is worth it) and Great Bath, because AI beelines it for some reason.

I get Pyramids every game. Even in those games where I do not get Pyramids, I do get Pyramids. Some friendly neighbor usually builds it for me. 'Mids is the only essential wonder in Civ 6. Most of my games I get Mausoleum, because it is very strong and never contested, even on Deity. Perhaps most underrated is Kilwa Kisilwani, which is usually easy to get. Aside from these three I only really go for the strong later game wonders: Forbidden (not that great since it is highly contested), Potala (less contested but less good), Oxford (pretty much guaranteed you'll get it unless you save it for the last few techs), Ruhr (pretty much always built in the spaceport city), Big Ben (not really worth it every game, I build it more for the slot than for the treasury), Amundsen (should almost always be built for SV). Greaz Zimbabwe is good situationally.

There are only a handful of wonders I get aside from these, being Angkor (if I have more than 15 cities and get it decently fast), Jebel (only in double monumentality games), Artemis (only when it's available later on in the game), Oracle (same as Artemis, not good enough at all to build instead of settlers, though very good if can you get it after t90-100), Coloseeum (realistically never get it, building entertainment districts is just masochism).

Some wonders are very much liked by the AI so often conquered: Alhambra, Colossus, Hanging Gardens, Great Bath, Stonehenge and most of the faith wonders. These mostly aren't even good enough to put hammers into so I either conquer them or don't even contest them.

[no GS] My favourite is the Mausoleum of Halicarnassus. I believe it was buffed with the yields, but the obscure bonus of additional charge for engineers is most interesting to me.
Also, I kinda like Angkor Wat too. The immediate effect is powerful, plus the wonder isn't really contested, as AI doesn't build many aqueducts.

Least favourite probably Kilwa Kisiwani or Casa de Contratacion. Their effect is unclear and usually not clearly helpful. Several city state suzerainty and cities on non-home continent with governors are very limiting circumstances. Plus Casa has to be put next to government plaza, which is better used by a district.

I consider Great Zimbabwe to be my personal good luck charm.

Because you need to be pretty lucky to have a good commercial hub location close enough to some cows to actually build the darn thing.

Machu is a wonder I will hustle to try to get, but ultimately Mausoleum + colosseum are the ones I truly try to plan around. I think mausoleum needs to lose its engineer ability because of the sea tile buffs (certain engineers are totally Op with it.)
Favorite if somewhat cheesy strategy with Mausoleum is to rush it with the Wonder building GE, who then gets an extra charge, which means you basically get it for free.

Favorite if somewhat cheesy strategy with Mausoleum is to rush it with the Wonder building GE, who then gets an extra charge, which means you basically get it for free.

Similiarly, using the last action of a builder to chop woods for Pyramids actually brings the builder back from the dead with one unholy action still remaining.

As I understang this thread, it is not about the objective power of the wonders, but rather about how and why individual players enjoy building one wonder or another.

I have always enjoyed building one of the original Seven Wonders of the Ancient World the most, because they are at the core of the cultural heritage I grew up learning about. From that perspective it is too bad not all of them are featured in the current iteration of the game. I am all for a world-wide representation of incredible achievments of humanity, and I enjoy learning about new places when they are included as wonders in Civilization, but I also want my Statue of Zeus back :)

Pyramids have got to be my absolute favourite wonder to build - I never skip their movie, even though I must have seen it dozens of times by now :). And they are powerful to boot, which adds to the enjoyment.

The modern wonders resonate the least with me, even if they look beautiful on the map, like the Golden Gate Bridge.

Last edited:
Top Bottom