1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[NFP] What is your first game in the Ethiopia pack going to be?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Kmart_Elvis, Jul 23, 2020.

?

What's your first game going to be?

1. Ethiopia

43 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Bull Moose Teddy

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Rough Rider Teddy

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Magnificence Catherine

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. Other

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. Fly_8888

Fly_8888 Chieftain

Phoenicia plus Wings of Minerva is going to be my first game. Want to see how the new envoy system stacks up. Dido's trade routes plus the gilded should allow for a lot of trade routes and therefore a lot of envoys.

Kmart_Elvis and 8housesofelixir like this.
  2. blackcatatonic

blackcatatonic Queen of Meme

Ethiopia + Secret Societies (Voidsingers)!

I can't hold all this faith :crazyeye:

Kmart_Elvis and tedhebert like this.
  3. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

Catherine, dressed as Owl of Minerva.

4. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis King

Finished my Ethiopia game. Religious victory, turn 170. Standard speed, 8 civs, Continents, Emperor difficulty, only cheese was a New World because I wanted hills and mountains. Only had 3 cities the entire time because I was stuck on a peninsula. I was really impressed by the Rock-Hewn churches and Menelik's leader ability. Didn't really get to try out their faith from resources (just didn't have enough), archaelogical bonuses (I was going RV) and never built their cavalry. Still, it was a great game to see what they do under pressure and they're really capable. Kept up with science and culture throughout the game based on my sheer faith economy. Rolled Secret Societies but only got to join Voidsingers on turn 150! It was a crappy map, but Ethiopia is powerful enough to make it work. All and all, really impressed.

Next game will probably be Magnificence Catherine going cultural.

5. Peserwin

Peserwin Chieftain

Apolalypse mode on a primordial map, with voidsingers mormon Ethiopia going mad with religious fanatism and spamming soothsayers. Pray to the lord! The end of the world is near

6. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I just won my second fastest Culture Victory with Ethiopia: I won only a few turns after Democracy, with my tourism based almost entirely on Rock-hewn Churches and eight National Parks. (As an interesting aside, despite the game including a handful of civs that are often strong culture players like Magnificent Catherine, Poland, Persia, and Georgia, my most significant competitor by far was Poundmaker.)

7. IvoryPavane

IvoryPavane Prince

Yeah, the game can be funny like that! The last game I won on Georgia, my biggest religious rival was Australia! Despite Poland, Arabia and Phillip kicking around.

(and my biggest rival overall because he forced a few hours of waltzing Matilda....)

Zaarin likes this.
  8. Zaarin

That's why I keep Australia disabled. :p

9. reddishrecue

reddishrecue Deity

I went random with large map and fractal. I found out soothsayers can flood rivers were better than making forest fires.

10. Navelgazer

Navelgazer King

Definitely currently on Ethiopia/Voidsingers as my first game, but Bull Moose Teddy looks super cool, Magnificence Catherine maybe something cool (I really love Black Queen though and will miss the spy stuff.)

I want to try a Kongo/Voidsingers game, Georgia/Owls, and Scotland/Hermetics. Dunno who I'm gonna try with the Vampires yet. Maybe GC.

11. Breadsmith

Breadsmith Warlord

Randomed Bull Moose Voidsinger. I got Earth Goddess, and the yeilds I got were insane. I was out scienceing Korea without Campuses. I had a little trouble building stuff until Conservation turned my land into a primeval forest, but just soo many yields.

12. Zaarin

I just started a game as Bull Moose Teddy with the Hermetic Order, but I've found Ley Lines to be so astonishingly rare (the only one I've found so far is in someone else's territory, and that's with a considerable amount of the map uncovered) that I'm thinking of rerolling and choosing a different society, even though Torres del Paine was in a wonderfully accessible spot for my second city...

13. Myomoto

Myomoto Prince

Almost finished my Bull Moose game. Probably one of my most enjoyable games in VI in a long long time.

This is probably the first time I genuinely cared about appeal, and how all the different improvements and districts influence it, it's really a big pity appeal is such an underused mechanic for 90% of the game unless you pick the Earth Goddess pantheon.

14. Mr. Shadows

Mr. Shadows Nomad of the time streams

I'm sure I'll play Ethiopia eventually but the Frontier Pass has been so disappointing that I uninstalled the game for the first time since its release so that's not going to happen soon.

15. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Will probably give bull moose Teddy a quick science spin after I finish trying to make Gran Colombia the last civ standing after the comets start falling in my current huge epic game...

16. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

I expected to play Ethiopia first, but then somehow I ended up playing Kongo instead. And with Kongo, I went for the Voidsingers and just filled my cities with Artifacts and Void Relics. Because, of course that's what I did. Yay Kongo!

I think playing Ethiopia now would feel too similar. I'll have to find another game or two before I get to Ethiopia. Hmm.

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  17. lindsay40k

lindsay40k Emperor

I went Bull Moose and cooked a natural wonder start on Immortal

Ended up in a mountain pass walled by Zhangye, was hoping for Mt Roraima but stuck with this, got lucky with Apostle promos and the AI fighting each other and grabbed a renaissance religious victory

LOVE THIS

...actually, my first game was an Apoc multiplayer, as Aztec

I had Spain pinned in and turned them into a builder piñata, whilst chucking units into volcanoes so I could grow the ultimate jungle with my four charge firestarters

Kmart_Elvis likes this.
  18. ClownWorld69

ClownWorld69 Chieftain

Ethiopia is sick and arguably the strongest Civ in the game now I think. Maybe it just suits my play style I am not sure but I cant see this Civ not being nerfed.

I played two games, both times just pumped out holy sites and focused on faith generation and adjacency bonuses as much as possible. Moksha to buy districts allows you to focus on food. Golden ages you can churn out builders and settlers and just spam the map, with Hic Sunt Dracones also being a monster when you combine with Moksha and massive faith production. Work Ethic along with meeting houses gives you huge production bumps if you landed decent adjacency, freeing up hills for rock churches and even more faith. Spamming out rock churches for huge faith payoffs (+9 faith on some tiles) with the tourism bonus once you hit flight just amplifies it. Throw up a Grand Chapel to punch out units for next to nothing

Being able to buy archaeologists and museums is the cherry on top though is insane the speed at which you can get them out when you combine Moskha being able to buy the districts is eye watering. And the science bonuses you get for cities built on hills, combined with a focus on food to get your population up for Moshkas spending spree is insane.

Myomoto and Kmart_Elvis like this.
  19. Kmart_Elvis

Kmart_Elvis King

I went Work Ethic with them and I was glad. Even though they don't get the insane production of civs like Russia, Brazil, or Mali, in an area with a lot of mountains, it's not hard to get +3, +4, +5 natural adjacency for your holy sites. Combine with the 100% holy adjacency card, and you got some good production right there. The main reason I went with Work Ethic is that Rock-Hewn Churches do compete directly with mines. By using Work Ethic, I was able to get great production in my cities, and just plop down those massive rock-hewn churches everywhere, even if they took up mine spots. Again, you're not getting Russia or Brazil levels of production, but it's plenty of production anyways to keep you afloat and viable.

20. ClownWorld69

ClownWorld69 Chieftain

I rolled a bit of desert with rivers in my second game, grabbed Desert Folklore. Combined with holy adjacency card the production yield on work ethic would have been huge. Had 4 HS's yielding +6 before bonuses and cards, once CH's and TS's started going up around then and along rivers it just got silly. Mid game once I had Hic Sunt Dracones i would drop in Moksha, buy the HS and TS with faith, buy the museum and an archaeologist. I think if you come across early religious CS on top of this you would just steam roll the AI if you secure an early golden age with monumentality