1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What is your opener and why?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by TheyMadeMeDoThis, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Naeshar

Naeshar Warlord

Sometimes I build a scout, sure. But my usual (as of now, on King dif) I do:
    Warrior -> Builder -> Warrior/Settler and buy a Settler.
    Craftsmanship inspiration is worth it but archery eureka isn't. Barbs are a much bigger threat now, sadly :(.
    Follow with some district and then it differs based on victory path.

2. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Well, no. One Slinger is all that you need for the Eureka. And you don't need it right away unless you're planning to go and attack another city early.

3. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Having one Slinger in the fight doesn't necessarily mean they'll get the kill. If it misses it's chance early on it could be outclassed by other units later. It's player preference but if I really need archers or horseback riding then I will likely build more than one.

4. Starwars

Starwars Warlord

First build is usually a Scout. I may build a Slinger or Warrior if I'm playing on something like Island Plates where there *may* not be much to explore. You never know though.

After the Scout, it's usually a Slinger to try and get the eureka for Archery. After that, it depends on what has been going on. If I have good land and no civilizations nearby I will go for a Settler. If there is a civilization nearby I will try to get a few military units out first usually.
    Most of the time I gold buy my first builder. But if I don't have techs for the tiles around me I'll gold buy something else instead and hold off on the builder.

And of course, with certain civs it just varies.
    If I'm playing Norway or Phoenicia I'll try to get their unique ships out early on. With Sumeria it's pumping out Warcarts etc.

5. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

Trying France on emperor right now it's been builder then wonder for that double tourism.

6. Tabarnak

Tabarnak R.I.P.

Scout-settler-settler. Buy another scout when available.

7. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

I agree. Too many slingers. However, for a long time (since Civ V) many players have subscribed themselves to armies consisting of little more than ranged units. One should be enough to get the eureka.

Then again, it's been a long before either barbs or other civ's have been particularly aggressive towards me. I mean, if you just remember to cough up your 25 gp for a delegation, they usually become friendly pretty quickly. And I don't tend to pick on anyone who isn't picking on me.

8. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

My caveat being that I play with the free scout mod, I generally start with a warrior/slinger, followed by builder, settler, and then trader or HS depending on my game. I’d shoot for scout first if I did not play with the mod. My objectives are to ensure an established zone of control to prevent AI forward-settling without resorting to war, and also to get my faith machine up early (I firmly believe faith is a great unsung currency, and the perks of early religion are worth the early effort).

I am pretty aggressive with barbars with my few units, so I play wisely to ensure they don’t get out of control and I end up having to focus too much on military production. Usually my freebie scout affords me enough goodie huts and first contact CS envoys to jumpstart the rest of my game. Plus, with the introduction of feature names, I like to get a jump on the AI to ensure my naming flags are planted first. :)

9. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

You may not have strategic resources, and have to rely on archers as the backbone of your army. Get them promoted for some extra effective crossbows.

I usually try to make slingers after craftsmanship because they are so cheap. But it is true that slingers are actually bad against early barbs like horse barbs as well as AI warrior rush. Opening warrior is the safest move anyone can possibly do.

MooFreaky and steveg700 like this.
  10. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

You don't need the Craftsmanship inspiration as part of an opener. That can be deferred a good while. Like I said, I can usually buy a builder with gold by the time it matters.

Settlers need to get out while the settling's good. Need to start generating population and a loyalty barrier. Need to jump on resources, river, mountains. Opening with builder is an edge case.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  11. EgonSpengler

EgonSpengler Deity

Playing on Emperor...

Warrior; Warrior; Warrior; Slinger; Slinger; Slinger; Slinger

The order changes a bit, depending on the terrain. If there's a hilly region, or if a city I want has a river on 2 or 3 sides, I'll build a couple of the slingers earlier.

12. BarbarianHunter

BarbarianHunter King

Deity: I always go builder-settler-settler unless forced to deviate. I buy units on an as needed basis with the gold I get from selling goods to the AI from builder improvements. Not a big fan of scouts.

On lower levels I will go for units perhaps as the AI will not have gold and will be easier to conquer.

13. borad

borad Warlord

Since it’s only prompted a tangential comment: are we all spending the 25 gold immediately upon meeting other civs? Because if you don’t, a builder or military unit can be bought much quicker.

Phoenix1595 likes this.
  14. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Depends! If I'm going for a Culture game, then yes, because I want open borders and happy friends ASAP. If not, then I'll only bribe the others if they're close enough to threaten me and not known for being passive. So, Alex gets paid, but maybe not Gandhi.

15. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

First look at settlement place.
    >=3 tile need improvement (hill in ring 1 + any resource in ring 1 & 2): Start with builder
    <3 tiles: Start with Scout
    Special Case: If there are >3 of non-resource plain, this count +1 (for potential horses)
    If you have early UI like Zigguraut, the count include every tile that you can build a UI.

After that:
    being detected by nearby barbarian: Build a Slinger then warrior, 2W1S is the minimal requirement for defending a barb camp rush.
    Special Case: For Cree and Aztec, build UU.

No barb: Build a settler.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Builderphile likes this.
  16. The Technomancer

The Technomancer Chieftain

Scout -> Builder -> Settler unless near a warlike AI.

If I have enough time before craftsmanship will finish, I might try to pop off a second settler. If not and the opening leads me straight into Agoge, slinger 3x, warrior, evaluate map. I try to build as few units as possible prior to them being half price.

With a warrior from each of the new cities, I can usually go raid, if not conquer, my neighbor with a 3 warrior 3 archer army.

I play on Emperor for fun and Immortal for staying sharp. I can beat deity, but I’m too much of a builder to play optimally for a whole game like that, so it’s not fun for me.

17. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Tbh I get greedy and open monument to builder... Then slinger. By this time the warrior has most likely found a barb camp nearby to ensure that the slinger gets a kill for Eureka.

I avoid exploring far like the plague on deity since classical dark age is awesome for the trade route card. Besides I like saving on the extra 25 gold and it's not like you have anything to sell the AI that early anyway. The safest way to play very early game is to not meet anyone.

18. Exterrestrial

Exterrestrial Chieftain

I play on emperor, and I start with a scout (mod).

I normally do this: scout > settler > builder (last two may be reversed, depending on terrain and how fast my city grows).

After that, I may squeeze in a warrior before getting out another settler. In my 2nd city, I almost always go monument > builder > warrior. Meanwhile, I usually try to get 3 slingers or 1-2 warriors in my main city.

19. toni10001

toni10001 Chieftain

For me since I mostly play on deity it's always the scout. Meeting CS first just gives to much opportunity to consider building something else first. a plus +2 science/culture/faith from meeting just 1 cs first is game changing while getting a military or industrial cs is great for that next monument or settler.

The huts can also give you an additional scout or builder or gold to rush buy that monument or builder you decided not to build on turn 1. And since these are all first come all or nothing, the unit with 3 ms and a faster woods/jungle or hills promotion level 1 promotion is the best choice.

The next build is really optional depending on what you see around you

20. ezzlar

ezzlar Emperor

Except for difficulty I´ve noticed that larger maps is a huge boon for players since the time required for the AI to move a huge blob of early military is long. First they have to discover you, then they have to move the troops. On smaller maps they can do the meet and greet ("Hi!" and denounced) in a handful of turns.

When I play Settler on Normal or Huge map, standard number of civs: Wonder - wonder - maybe settler

When I play Emperor/Immortal on Pangaea on a Duel map, 4 civs: Warrior - warrior - settler - warrior - settler/buy builder