What is your opinion on Venice possibly being included as a civ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Botswana, May 27, 2013.

?

What is your opinion on Venice possibly being included as a civ in BNW?

1. I think it's a great idea

135 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Good choice, but I would have preferred another civ

125 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Not too thrilled

157 vote(s)
    37.6%
  1. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

Still counts as overlap with Austria. I'm not saying that overlap matters, I'm saying that you can't say Venice is better than Hungary because it has overlap, because so does Venice with the same country.

2. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Austria also has attribute merger in that it has a unique unit of Hungarian origin. Austria has nothing of Venetian origin in their traits.

3. DonStamos

DonStamos Mobster Inc©

What? I don't care about geographic overlap. I think Italy, Venice and Hungary are culturally distinct enough to all be Civs in the game.

I just wanted to point out that the Austrian part of their history only came really late, that's all.

4. Peasley

Peasley Warlord

The problem with Hungary is that Austria has been built with a lot of cultural overlap over Hungary. I don't think that we're likely to see them.

5. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

If what Firaxis includes in BNW is in fact the Italian civilization, then fine. But it is clear Firaxis is probably opting for a Venetian civilization which is obviously something different.

6. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

I don't want Venice.

7. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Deity

The only overlap is the Hussar UU
    That can easily be changed, Austria have a couple good non-mounted UU possibilities with bonuses on hills. Much more suited for them.
    Even if Firaxis doesn't want to change the current Austrian UU, Hungary can easily get another one. There are many great options for a Hungarian UU.

A couple examples:
    Early mounted UU, to represent the Hungarian raids in the 9-10th century:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_invasions_of_Europe

Or a medieval UU, probably the Black Army of Matthias Corvinus in some form.
    Maybe something connected to the Order of the Dragon, founded by King Sigismund in 1408

8. 78stonewobble

78stonewobble Chieftain

It's not that racist to claim there were tents in mud. Pretty much everywhere had mud at the time. And little to no cobbled or paved roads.

However I'd say that the truely racist thing is that there is little to no movement to give any land back to the native americans in these enlightened times. 20-40 percent of the nations of both americas ought to be a big enough (atleast morally) compensation.

9. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

Given this just posted on the Civ 5 Facebook "Learn to become a commercial and naval super power in this week’s installment." and given the idea most people have that Venice will have some sort of commerce or naval expertise we may see a whiff of them in this week's video

10. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

It's this week's featurette. They usually don't show new civs that way since they recorded everything so long ago. This one is probably the trade route one.

11. sukritact

sukritact Artist and Modder

I will be looking forward to this most serene video! Hopefully we'll see Venice.

12. Bakspatel

Bakspatel Prince

I got the same idea but then again they'd have to make the civ's announcement (perhaps meaning that Venice will have a different treat than trade). And if Venice would truly be the super-duper civ I'd expect them to wait until the last weeks till release.

13. Scaramanga

Scaramanga Brickhead

It could just mean explanation of the Exploration and Commerce policies.

14. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

That picture they put on Facebook with it has our fist look at a Bazooka.

15. Luziadus

Luziadus Warlord

Hi no I didnt, I found this mod of the Kongo civ when I was googling for its Leaders pictures.
    I have the same opinion of the Huns.

16. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

An early mounted unit might be too similar to the Huns.
    I'd say that the Black Army and the Order of the Dragon would be good UUs for Hungary, as they'd both be in the medieval/early renaissance era and this is the time period at which Hungary was strongest.

17. Sikandar

Sikandar Prince

Hungary could work if Austria had the Landsknecht and Germany had something else (maybe the Junker to represent Prussia). But Hungary doesn't fit the alphabet rule anyway so it's a moot point.

18. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

Cuba and Israel would've been better.

19. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

Neither are trade civilizations, which is the focus of the expansion. Israel lost its chance for inclusion at G&K.

20. Joe Hoofer

Joe Hoofer Chieftain

Okay. Well, sand can be found near pretty much anywhere. Caves can be found all over the world, too. And people use towels on their heads all the time, drying themselves off. So should I have been offended when people said that I hide out in caves and live in the sand? When my family and I were called a bunch of towelheads? Was that not racist, either?