What kind of DG would you participate in next?

• A DG that focused on playing a perfect (or very good) Civ 4 game.

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • A DG that focused on roleplaying and DG government structure.

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Both of the above (two different games).

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • A traditional DG with a balance between a perfect Civ 4 game and role playing/government.

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • None - I'm done with these DGs.

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Abstain.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

donsig

Low level intermediary

Options:

A DG that focused on playing a perfect (or very good) Civ 4 game.

A DG that focused on roleplaying and DG government structure.

Both of the above (two different games).

A traditional DG with a balance between a perfect Civ 4 game and role playing/government.

None - I'm done with these DGs.

Abstain.

This poll will be open indefinately and is private.

A traditional DG with a balance between a perfect Civ 4 game and role playing/government.

I think it's a mischaracterization to say the Civ game side of a traditional DG is aiming for a perfect game. "Not intentionally obviously bad" would be more accurate in my opinion. :mischief:

There's a 100 character limit to poll options - I did my best with option 4 but had to edit it twice as it was. Could never have fit your suggestion in there.

I voted for the "perfect" game. But don't get it wrong the "perfect" is still a
DG, and mostly a forum game.

Due to my poor English, an example is easier: I posted about Berlin that will be
"a great GP farm"; I waited, among "builderish" players two opponent groups,
they who want a commercial city and they who want a fast GP farm. And the
discussion will follow; if it was good enough, no one would want a poll.

Similar to the "warmongers" , "scientists" and others.

To make it clear, each task is open to every one, and nothing forbids each one takes more than one hat, even all.

The decisions must be global and coherent among themselves; not taken by an individual or small group.

Best regards,

Where's the multiple choice option? There's a decent chance I'd participate in any of the first 4 options.

A secret poll, why?

Why not? It doesn't really matter in this case does it?

@dutchfire: Making it a multiple choice poll would make it more difficult to interpret the results. The idea behind the poll is to imagine we can only do one of the options and see how much support each option gets under those conditions.

Good poll, donsig. I'll let you guess at which option I chose....

Good poll, donsig. I'll let you guess at which option I chose....

See, now there's the reason for the private poll. If it was public we wouldn't have the added fun of trying to figure out how Cyc voted. :lol:

I would like to have a roleplaying/government based game. I would definitely still like to play a civ game along with it, but I think our in game decisions (like where to build a city for example) should be based on roleplay decisions and not what is the best way to play a civ game.

When I hear this, I've got to ask the following.

What's the differance? Quite often the best spot to found a city via roleplay is the best spot to put a city for a serious game. Who wants a 'sick' city anyway?

If I rightly read the poll' s results (until now) it looks:

The "roleplayers" with 7 people/votes can have their game right now.
Congratulations!

The "civvers" with just 3 people/votes depend on the meaning/will of the
4 "balanced".

If these 4 partners want to play any or both games, then everybody is happy
with 7 players to the civ game and 11 to the role playing.

If not... at least our "roleplayers" partners can enjoy their game without our
strain.

(To Donsig as representative of the roleplayers: when Napoleon declared war
on us, we could very well lose due to the lack of the civic slavery, and that
was a crime much worse than the "accident" with the German longbowman :lol: ).

Enjoy your game, partners.

With 7 people, a game simply doesn't work 0.0

My vote's here btw - A traditional DG with a balance between a perfect Civ 4 game and role playing/government.

But I can't vote yet.

Assuming there are many who would participate but aren't here to vote, and assuming they would all vote in the same proportions then at least half would be happy with a DG that emphasizes roleplaying over perfect/real good civ play.

But I can't vote yet.

You still need to go to "My Account", then group memberships (on the left panel of the screen) and request membership in the group "Civ4 Democracy Game II: Citizens".

The likely actual result, if there is another game at all, is one game in which both "civvers" and "roleplayers" are welcome. I hope there is no disagreement that neither "side" should be allowed to exclude the other from participation.

This poll is interesting, but the poll which actually matters is ratification of a ruleset.

It was politics, more than anything else, that drew me into the first Civ3 DG all those years ago (and as a side note, I was 14 years old when I got my first governorship. I'm 20 now .:crazyeye: )

That said, I'd really like to see a system that is more political in nature - even if that does detract from our ability to play a good CIV game. Elected leaders with a greater deal autonomy is important to this vision, because it really makes their jobs more political in nature. Believe it or not, I even miss the old Council votes that could override decisions made by other leaders, and the turnchat votes (the ones I know that donsig loves :p). Even the threat of a Presidential veto hanging over certain plans sounds like a lot of fun. Its inefficient, its partially unfair, and its the beauty of politics at work. :D

The likely actual result, if there is another game at all, is one game in which both "civvers" and "roleplayers" are welcome. I hope there is no disagreement that neither "side" should be allowed to exclude the other from participation.

Why is that result likely DaveShack? Because you or Thunderfall have decided already? Why is it we can't run two games, each open to everyone, yet each with it's own focus and consequently its own ruleset?

This poll is interesting, but the poll which actually matters is ratification of a ruleset.

LOOK at the poll results DaveShack. If you do you will see that there is a split between the roleplayers and civ players. We've been at this for four or five years now and can't put together a game that satisfies both. With only one game and one ruleset and the mentality to be all inclusive we get games with conflict that soon turn boring for everyone. Let's see if we can set up tandem games before we try to make another failed ruleset.

Why is that result likely DaveShack? Because you or Thunderfall have decided already?
No, far from it. It seems to me you have a bad habit of assuming ulterior motives, where there are none. I think it's likely because I don't expect enough warm bodies to get two games off the ground.
Why is it we can't run two games, each open to everyone, yet each with it's own focus and consequently its own ruleset?
I think we need a lot more people to give their input. Seven people per side aren't enough to make a game. IMO the "half" which does have enough people (barely) must entice the remaining folks to participate, or it won't have enough people either.

LOOK at the poll results DaveShack.
There are two kinds of questions. This poll asks "what kind of game do you prefer". The missing data, IMO, is "what kind of game will you run away from". I enjoy demogames no matter the format.
Edit: If you look at the history, you will see I have never refused to participate because of events. RL yes, but even when I completely disagreed with the 5BC game format, I still participated.
If you do you will see that there is a split between the roleplayers and civ players.
We know that, even without a poll.
We've been at this for four or five years now and can't put together a game that satisfies both.
Several of the games over that time have satisfied both. Maybe not completely satisfied, but they have been palatable. It usually works when neither side gives up.
With only one game and one ruleset and the mentality to be all inclusive we get games with conflict that soon turn boring for everyone.
Not sure I really agree with saying it is conflict (by itself) that makes the game turn boring. I see games running along peacefully and reasonably balanced, and then an issue becomes a catalyst for a swing too far to one side. The failures happen because the force driving the game in that direction don't recognize they're killing it. The sad thing about swing issues is that the pattern seems to be an action which is motivated by that person's desire to give the people a say, followed by backlash against that person by others who claim to want to give the people a say. :crazyeye:

Let's see if we can set up tandem games before we try to make another failed ruleset.
I'm interested in your opinion of how many active players per game it takes to make that idea work?

Top Bottom