What kind of laptop should I get?

MagisterCultuum

Great Sage
The HP Pavillion dv6-2088dx that I have been using since December 2009 recently died. (Luckily, I backed up every file I care about on an external hard drive the night before it crashed.) Apparently the integrated video card overheated enough to melt the solder holding it to the motherboard and caused enough damage to require replacing the motherboard as a whole. (The guy as the shop where I took it for a free diagnostic said that the model had a design flaw where the solder melted at an unusually low temperature.) At it would cost at least $245+tax to fix it, I figure I'm better off getting a new one. It might be a different story if

Currently I am typing on my previous laptop, the Toshiba Satelite P106 that I got back in 2006 before starting college. I got the HP because the screen on this machine was slowly failing. I thought it would be dead by now, but actually has not changed much in the past 2 years. Still, its screen is rather dim and has an inch on the right that is pure black, 2 inches next to that that display things pale a blurry, and about 125 vertical lines of random colors that are rather distracting. It handled Civ IV fine when it was new (despite saying it was below recommendations), but these days struggles on even the smallest maps.

I would like to purchase a new machine soon, but am on a tight budget. My last two laptops were Graduation or Christmas presents, but this one I will have to pay for myself. My current savings total almost exactly $400. I also have a $20 gift card to Best Buy, and have convinced mom to chip in $50 as an Easter present. As I am currently living at home I have no other expenses, but as I am still looking for work I also have no source of income.

I graduated from Georgia Tech at in December of 2010 with a degree in civil engineering, and am still looking primarily for work in that field. It would be nice to have a home laptop that could handle programs like AutoCAD once I get a job, even though I'm sure most of that kind of work would be done on a different machine at work. For the time being, the most processor and graphics intensive program I would be using is Civ IV. I am not the most hard core gamer, but I definitely want a machine that is good enough for playtesting my modmod of the Fall from Heaven 2 mod for Civ IV. It would also be used for viewing a fair amount of streaming video, and of course basic email and forum browsing.

I definitely like having a number pad, and while I was fine with the 16" widescreen of my dead computer I was happier with the 17" screen of this one when it worked properly. I don't need anything super portable, just enough to take with me to different rooms of my house.

What kind of laptops would you recommend?

When I asked the guy at the repair shop for any recommendations about laptops under $400, his first recommendation was not to buy one. He said that entry level starts at $450 and most things below that are poorly made. When I mentioned a few I had been looking at on the BestBuy website, he said he would steer clear of the $379.99 Toshibas (claiming their low end merchandise is unreliable) but might consider the $349.99 Asus a good deal. It turns out that BestBuy sold out of that model everywhere near me and they are not available for shipping, but NewEgg.com offers the same thing with 50% more ram for $379.99. (That was brought to my attention by someone in my modmod's thread.) This model is in my budget and seems to have overwhelmingly positive reviews. I particularly like that its USB3 port would allow me to use my USB3 external hard drive much faster. I am not sure that its processor of graphics are good enough thou

When I stopped by BestBuy a salesman convinced me that this Toshiba is best suited for my needs. After bit of research online though, I found that he seemed to have lied about a couple things. He claimed that it had a dedicated graphics card which could not ruin my motherboard if it failed. My research shows that the AMD Radeon HD 6520G is integrated rather than discrete and could not be replaced separately like he claimed. It does however seem to be universally agreed that the AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon HD 6520G graphics is superior to the Intel Pentium B960 2.2GHz with Intel HD 3000 graphics. The reviews for this model seem mixed. One half say it is a great deal and functions well, while the other half complain of poor quality control and customer service once it breaks.

He may have misrepresented their offer of 18 month 0 interest financing too, or maybe I just misunderstood. It sounded like there would be no payments for 18 months rather than no interest so long as monthly payments are made. He also claimed I could get it on that $400 model even though it actually only applies on purchases of $429+ (about $1.02 more than the laptop would cost including tax). I might still be eligible if I purchase a cooling pad (which I am planning on getting anyway) from them at the same time too though.

The guy at the repair shop also said that I should look into refurbished computers, claiming that quality control only tests 1 in 10 new computers but every single refurbished machine. I haven't actually come across many good deals on refurbished models though. I am considering this one, even though it is not within my current budget, because of the 0 interest 18 month financing. Even if I have terrible luck in the job market, I could get enough money for Christmas and my Birthday to pay it off before I completely deplete my savings.

Also, what cooling pads would you recommend? I strongly prefer being able to use my laptop on my lap when sitting and on my stomach when lying in bed watching streaming tv, so I don't want anything with exposed blades on the bottom. So far the only ones that would seem to work for me are the Targus Lap Chill Mat and the Logitech N200 Laptop Cooling Pad. I have actually been keeping my laptops on top of that Targus model for years, even though its cord broke as soon as its 1 year warranty expired. I am comfortable with getting the same thing again, although the longer warranty, dual speed fans, and off switch of the Logitech sound nice. (The repairman recommended a Logitech Lapdesk with dual fans, and off switch, and spare USB ports for about that same price, but it does not appear that such a model exists. I do not have the money to spend on their lapdesk that includes speakers, and prefer to use headphones anyway.)

Edit: I just remembered that I get 5% cash back this month at Amazon.com on one of my credit cards, so good deals there would be especially appreciated.

I just bought a HP Pavilion g7-1365dx, and I'm very happy with it. It cost about $450 at best buy. Last year's model, but I don't play a lot of new games that have high system requirements, so it's good.

I can't believe I just plugged HP. Not my favorite company.

I just bought a HP Pavilion g7-1365dx, and I'm very happy with it. It cost about $450 at best buy. Last year's model, but I don't play a lot of new games that have high system requirements, so it's good.

I can't believe I just plugged HP. Not my favorite company.

It appears that Best Buy is not selling that exact model anymore, although this one differs only in that its hard drive is a bit smaller. That is not an issue I really care about, since I have plenty of room on my 1.5 TB external hard drive. (If I could get USB 3 I really wouldn't care about HD size.)

I'm a bit reluctant to get another HP so soon after my last HP died from the overheating problems that seem to plague that brand. I also recall seeing a chart that showed HP as the least durable brand, with Toshiba almost tied with Asus for most reliable. The overheating issues of HP seem more serious than the hard drive problems of HP, considering that I back things up often on my external HD and that I still have a perfectly functional internal HD from my HP which I might be able to use in the new machine if and when that fails.

This Toshiba appears to have identical specifications and price as that HP. Do you think it would be just as good?

That one appears to be identical to the one the salesman recommended, except for the screen size and price. I do like bigger screens, and was actually leaning towards the L775D already despite not having quite enough in savings to get it without taking advantage of their 18 month 0 interest financing offer. (I'm not sure I could get the financing on the L755D, as it is below the $429 minimum requirement. Getting a cooling pad to bring the total purchase price over that limit might be enough, but I'm not sure.)

(I've heard that the lower end Toshibas are not so reliable, but I believe that this one was originally around $600 so might not count as low end.)

I'm assuming that all the machines would function equivalently, as their CPU, GPU, RAM, and HD are identical. Can you confirm that your HP Pavilion g7-1365dx runs Civilization IV well? That is the only sort of gaming I really care about. (The one consumer review on the closest available HP model says it runs Civilization V well on medium settings, but Civ V was optimized for multiple core processors and DirectX11 whereas Civ IV was not.)

Edit: Huh, it seems that the HP (almost) like yours is one of the weekly deals this week. Its price hasn't changed, but it gets special billing in the weekly flier. It has one clear advantage over the equivalent Toshiba: I could pick it up in the store tomorrow afternoon instead of waiting a week for it to be shipped to me.

I got tired of waiting for more advice on what laptop to get. I went to Best Buy a couple hours ago and purchased the HP that is essentially the same as what Turner recommended. (I was leaning towards one of the Toshibas when I got there, but the large one was sold out at that branch and the smaller one sold out everywhere.) I didn't want to spend too much right now, so I decided that the cooling pad can wait a few months. So far I'm pretty happy with the laptop I am using to type this, although it will take a while to get used to how scrolling and zooming work on this touch pad.

There isn't much of a point in getting advice after making a purchase, so you might as well close this thread.

I don't know which one you got, but my touchpad has multi-touch. Takes a bit of getting used to and doesn't always work the way I expect, but for the most part it's pretty nice.

Yes, this has multi-touch too. It seems a lot more natural than it did a few hours ago, so I think I'll get the hang of it.

Apparently our two laptop are identical except for their hard drives. The g7-1326dx model was created when a shortage of hard drives required HP to use 500GB instead of 680GB drives in most of what were meant to be g7-1365dx laptops.

A couple weeks ago I started noticing randomly flickering horizontal lines on the screen if I left the computer on for more than a day. One time when I left it on for close to a week most of the screen flickered, there were ghost images, and changing the resolution resulted in the far right inch of the screen showing on the far left and the bottom inch showing at the top. It was always fixed by restarting, but it got me worried.

Yesterday just before sunrise a transformer on my street blew out, and the power surge it caused broke my mother's desktop PC. (It was the only computer in the house that wasturned on at the time.) I took it to shop for a free diagnostic today. I also brought them her old desktop, which became unusable last summer as it would overheat and restart itself after only a couple minutes. Since she only needs one PC, I told them they can use the other for spare parts.

While I was there I brought up the issue with my HP's screen. He sound that it sounded like a defective video chip that this laptop would likely die the same way as my old one but sooner. He highly recommended returning it while I still can.

I believe that tomorrow is the last day I could have gotten a refund for it, so I returned it today. I was planning on doing an even swap for a Samsung, either one with identical stats or one I would have to order online that has an Intel Core i3 processor. I wasn't that comfortable with the Samsung keyboard though, and ended up purchasing this Asus even though it cost $30 more. It has a 2nd Gen Intel® Core i5 processor (at $150 less than their next cheapest model with so good a CPU), and it also has a USB3 port that should make my external hard drive function better.

I am typing on it now, while installing Civ IV. I obviously don't know for sure how well it will run, but don't expect any problems. I was rather surprised by the complete lack of bloatware on the Asus. The Recycling Bin was literally the only thing on the desktop once setup was completed.

Top Bottom