What kind of Leader archetypes are you hoping/expecting to see filled?

moysturfurmer

Emperor
Gamespot released concept art of Daoming Sochua, it's not getting a lot of play so I thought I'd make this topic. I get the impression that the Faction would govern the AI's "focus" (military economy culture etc) but the Leader would govern the Affinity choice. Daoming strikes me as a purity/supremacy type.

I imagine we'd be getting 2 more girls, 4 more guys, and 1 person who could be either because I'm hedging my bets but it's also 2014 and I'm all about transhumans

1. Daoming Sochua
2. Some sort of hippy older woman who's all about Harmony and worm riding
3. Younger woman with a xenophobic chip on (but not in) her shoulder and a talent for espionage.
4. Square jawed, cigar chomping soldier type dude. Purity & guns.
5. Scrawny science dude who waxes philosophical about the Singularity & supremacy of man.
6. Wizened agricultural industrialist who looks to exploit/domesticate the alien fauna.
7. Hard core, thick-headed male technocrat.
8. Male or female or both wild card. Somebody's gonna have to go for a Contact victory.

Moderator Action: Changed language in the post to reflect the forum PG-13 standards without changing your meaning. Please read the language rules.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Will Miller has already stated that one of the leaders bares a striking resemblance to Yuri Gagarin. Take that to mean whatever you want.

Could we get multiple leaders per faction?

Or do you pick a leader and then choose a faction as a sponsor?

I think I read that, like cities and units, the leaders themselves will look different depending on their Affinity. Last Civ game that did something similar was Civ 3 with a leader's background and garb changing in each era.

Just to remind people of what happened last time, Civ3's punk Joan of Arc:

EDIT: To give people a balanced viewpoint of things, industrial Joan of Arc:

Also: The evolution of Lincoln.

I would imagine that each of the affinities will have one leader geared to take advantage of it, plus at least one that has a militaristic bent.

Id like factions focused on the following areas:

Military
Research
Commercial
Ecological
Industrial
Great people
Growth

Civ3 had an excellent mix of good leaderheads, even those who were nominally out-of-era, and insanely bad ones.

Backgrounds may vary:
-Diplomat
-Soldier
-Lawyer
-Activist/Rabble rouser
-Venture Capitalist
-Organized Crime Boss might be interesting

Individual personalities will vary as well:
-Peaceful vs. Warlike
-Expansionist vs. Traditionalist
-Religious vs. Secular
-Trustworthy vs. Deceitful
-Focus of Interest: science, military, economics, covert ops, exploration
-Trusting of alien vs. Xenophobic

I think they'll probably have brainstormed this far more than I have here and will create a cast of interesting characters. I hope they allow for them to vary from game to game so that things don't get stale and so you can't immediately set your strategy when you meet your neighbors - something along the lines of having multiple defined leadership personalities per civ, like Elizabeth or Victoria for England or Peter the Great vs. Gorbachev for Russia.

It could be interesting to see the Pan-Asian guy be either a venture capitalist or a former Yakuza boss or the traditional statesman. There's a lot of potential here.

Backgrounds may vary:
-Diplomat
-Soldier
-Lawyer
-Activist/Rabble rouser
-Venture Capitalist
-Organized Crime Boss might be interesting

Individual personalities will vary as well:
-Peaceful vs. Warlike
-Expansionist vs. Traditionalist
-Religious vs. Secular
-Trustworthy vs. Deceitful
-Focus of Interest: science, military, economics, covert ops, exploration
-Trusting of alien vs. Xenophobic

I think they'll probably have brainstormed this far more than I have here and will create a cast of interesting characters. I hope they allow for them to vary from game to game so that things don't get stale and so you can't immediately set your strategy when you meet your neighbors - something along the lines of having multiple defined leadership personalities per civ, like Elizabeth or Victoria for England or Peter the Great vs. Gorbachev for Russia.

It could be interesting to see the Pan-Asian guy be either a venture capitalist or a former Yakuza boss or the traditional statesman. There's a lot of potential here.

Hopefully you can still "mix+Match" ie the Leader isn't necessarily the same as the sponsoring Faction (just like Christopher Columbus wasn't Spanish)

That would provide a good degree of variability.

I don't really want there to be set "leaders." I'd like to have the choice of building a leader from certain attributes, strengths and weaknesses. Sort of like custom races in Galactic Civilization 2, but with more appropriate - and less min/maxy choices.

Some articles have said that leader choice isn't coupled to faction while the article that first said this lady's name said she was for the Panasian Cooperative. So we have information going both ways.

I hope they make leaders that resemble human beings rather than just caricatures. Science fiction is notorious for being one-dimensional. Human beings with just one belief. Worlds with one type of terrain. Species with one type of culture. One climate. One profession. I do not want over the top archetypes blindly espousing their one belief.

I like that civ3 leaders change with time, but yeah there were some bad ones like JoA. :/

Anyway, since this is the future I like the idea of having a gender neutral character. In all seriousness, our society is only just beginning to understand how gender is spectrum and not binary, and that more people than we know operate with different interpretations of gender, sexuality and orientation. Infact these three terms used to be synonymous but no more. In the future a third sex may well be defined. When dealing with transhumanism and homosapien evolution it is only right that this may be considered.

Top Bottom