1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What living in today's world means for the younger generation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aelf, May 31, 2011.

1. aelf

aelf Ashen One

According to one Republican pundit, it apparently means the need for good old-fashioned conformism:

Well, I think this guy seems to be missing something. Ironically, it's he who seems to be marching to the beat of previous generations. It's fascinating how, in the same breath, he manages to mention the example of people we admire and advocate that people conform to the roles that are handed to them. Do we admire the tons of people who can be "part of the team" by sitting in an office cubicle somewhere? Or do we admire the people who manage to beat the odds and 'stay true to themselves' while being successful?

Would you agree that world of openness is a world of risks as well as possibilities? It's a world that seems to be asking that people take the risks to reach for the possibilities. But instead of advocating creativity and freshness in our approach, this guy advocates that we simply conform to whatever roles we happen to come across. Maybe there are millions of people who'd actually do well to take his advice, but I guess those are the same people who have no will to take on life as individuals with their own aspirations and personalities.

I think this comment sums it up perfectly:

It makes me think that he wrote this because there's he knows that business owners have a need for pliable drone-like workers who know nothing else in life but their jobs.

Thoughts?

2. Arwon

Arwon

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart.

Or something.

He's strawmanning with the "selfish self-centred Gen Y" nonsense, and the basic point that life is what happens while you're making other plans is simplistic and obvious to the point of truism. Gee, thanks, guy.

3. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

His advice seems Unamerican. I expect to see that kind of life plan in East Asia.

4. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

We didn't start the fire.

5. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

I would say he has some sort of grasp on contemporary problems but he has incorrectly equated it with liberty to delve into whatever area of life one chooses

In my opinion the problem really is the rampant ideological relativism of modern society. This I would say is harmful as with relativism there is no absolute moral truth and what is right and good in modern society has become the product of majority opinion at any given time. This creates a dictatorship of relativism where anyone who holds to differing ideas on truth is shouted down as intolerant and oppressive when the reality is the exact opposite.

I think that there must be absolute moral values for the good of society or otherwise there is not foundation to choose what path to take and one simply is set adrift like a boat at sea. This ideological relativism is the real problem, not the freedom to choose whatever life path one wishes.

6. TopGearFanatic

TopGearFanatic Duke of St. Louis

Doesn't this come up like every decade?

7. Theige

Theige American Baron

He may think "business owners have a need for pliable drone-like workers who know nothing else in life but their jobs," but in reality companies are moving in the complete opposite direction.

8. Gustave5436

Gustave5436 Emperor

Doesn't the Bible itself say not to judge others, because final judgment is God's job and his job alone, and therefore that when you judge someone, you're essentially saying that you think you're God? I've never read it myself, but if Jesus was half as good of a person as Christians say he was, I can't really see him being an arrogant, self-righteous jerk. Because that's exactly what the process of judgment is; claiming that you know best, everyone else is idiots, and that they should do as you say. Not exactly an expression of humility.

9. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

:crazyeye: this
    Am I an arrogant, self-righteous jerk to claim genocide is evil? Am I an arrogant, self-righteous jerk to claim that raping babies is evil? Am I an arrogant, self-righteous jerk to claim that slaughtering homosexuals is evil?

PS, have you ever been introduced to the Trilemma?

10. Trajan12

Trajan12 Deity

It's David "Moral Panic" Brooks. The guy is insidious. He always sounds reasonable, but at the end of the day his message is "conform to conservative lifestyles."

And I don't believe our education system is as open and inward focused as he says. Sure, we pay lip service to the idea of "finding yourself" just because we like to feel better than those strict East Asians who teach by rote and eat the souls of pupils, but we're still working with a public education system based on a model favored by 19th century industrialists to produce assembly line workers. It doesn't matter if college is more open if by the end of high school most have been indoctrinated with biased ideas about the nature of intelligence and what to pursue in life.

11. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Life's hard. You spend half your life struggling against the fact that everyone over 45 thinks your generation will be the end of civilization as we know it. Then you spend the second half of your life petrified that those youngsters are going to be the end of civilization as we know it.

12. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

13. Miles Teg

Miles Teg Nuclear Powered Mentat

Admittedly, that shirt is strong evidence for an imminent collapse of civilization.

14. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

15. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

the condemnation is to judge whether someone is damned or not as one cannot know the fate of another at any given time. As for the rest Civ-kings previous post is enlightening as under your logic it would be presumptuous of me to condemn the Shoah (genocide of the jews) as evil amongst other things.

16. aelf

aelf Ashen One

On an amusing note, media students seem to like this article and heartily agree with what he says. I should've known.
    :vomit:

17. Shylock

Shylock Hey smiling strange

What's so diverse about "sorry, you're not qualified"? Jobs all look the same when the answer from everyone is 'no'.

Getting married seems like a very poor idea, especially if you're male. There's nothing in it for men unless you happen to like having an axe above your head waiting to drop after which you'll lose your money and kids.

Besides, the world is getting worse not better. All the resources the 1st world relies on rapidly being depleted. It isn't just oil. Starting a family seems like a bad idea. Why would I want to have kids? So I can watch them die while the world fights over the last scraps of oil and rare metals? Imagine having a daughter during all that. Forget it, I love my hypothetical children too much to put them through that.

Barring them dying horribly I probably still won't be able to give them a better life than me, or even as good a life as I have now, no matter how hard I try.

18. Flying Pig

Flying Pig Utrinque Paratus Retired Moderator

...Pain is a sensation
    Sensation is pleasure
    So shut up and enjoy your pain!

Not really, a proper moral relativist should judge what he thinks is right, but accept that everyone else's judgement is equally valid and be willing to change his own views if he finds something else that makes better sense. Thinking everyone else is an idiot is arrogance straight away.

Turn off the death metal for a while. The world isn't going to collapse in on itself any time soon. How old are you out of interest?

19. Shekwan

Shekwan Kim Chi Quaffing Celt

I think he wrote it because he is one of those people and is trying to justify his actions.

That seems to be where 90% of people's opinions come from.

20. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

This reminds me of where a certain musician's father thought he could become an architect and kept bugging his son about it. Eventually the boy said "if you'll just leave me alone, I'll be a millionaire by the time I'm 35." He did.

But if that kid had just conformed.... I don't wanna think about it.