What living in today's world means for the younger generation

I have absolutely no idea what the writer of the article is trying to say. He conferred absolutely no knowledge or wisdom in his writing to me whatsoever. My god that was a complete waste of time. Meaningless waffle.

That was my reaction, but I was afraid that I was missing something and would look a fool by pointing it out.

I have a feeling its this reaction that lets 90% of crap writers skate by...

I have absolutely no idea what the writer of the article is trying to say. He conferred absolutely no knowledge or wisdom in his writing to me whatsoever. My god that was a complete waste of time. Meaningless waffle.

Let me paraphrase:

"We are the borg, you will assimilate, resistance is futile"

Maybe open mindedness is the new closed mindedness?

Turn off the death metal for a while. The world isn't going to collapse in on itself any time soon. How old are you out of interest?

I'm 21 and don't like death metal.

Resources are being consumed faster and faster. When they run out (or more likely, become way too expensive for anyone to afford) what happens then? People are going to start fighting like dogs for the scraps. The western lifestyle isn't going to last.

Like I said, it isn't just about oil. All the fancy gadgets we like rely on some rare metal that are going to deplete even before that does.

Like I said, it isn't just about oil. All the fancy gadgets we like rely on some rare metal that are going to deplete even before that does.

So we'll invent new gadgets or do without. We did perfectly well before computers, mobile phones, and the internet; it's hardly going to end civilization if we have to do so again.

So we'll invent new gadgets or do without. We did perfectly well before computers, mobile phones, and the internet; it's hardly going to end civilization if we have to do so again.

But it is a step backwards, especially for those who have known nothing else. Sure we'd survive, I never said humanity doesn't survive, but quality of life definitely is going to go down.

The Internet isn't just a frivolous little toy. Businesses and governments rely on it. Entire industries will just die when the internet does. What about all those in the IT profession?

Pretty much. :p We have 2 factors in play here. One is that he is a professional columnist who is expected to have an article ready for print on a recurring deadline; whether he has anything to say or not. Two, we have an old foggie complaining about the next generation in much the same way old foggies have been doing since ancient Greece. And probably several thousand years before that.

Ladies and gents, we have a winner.

That said, this is David Brooks. He kind of makes a living writing this stuff, for better or worse.

God I'm so glad I'm not the only one who failed to distil a point from that article :wow:

Well, is this what the American Dream has become in the eyes of Republicans? Don't even try 'cause y'all are losers and will be miserable anyway? Are Republicans un-American? :eek:

All the fancy gadgets we like rely on some rare metal that are going to deplete even before that does.

They don't consume the metal the same ways cars consume oil.

Most will spend a decade wandering from job to job and clique to clique, searching for a role.
Sounds about right.

Life's hard. You spend half your life struggling against the fact that everyone over 45 thinks your generation will be the end of civilization as we know it. Then you spend the second half of your life petrified that those youngsters are going to be the end of civilization as we know it.
Technically the end of civilization as we know it is mostly going to be the older generations fault.

Well, is this what the American Dream has become in the eyes of Republicans? Don't even try 'cause y'all are losers and will be miserable anyway? Are Republicans un-American? :eek:

Well, yeah... :p The core point of Republican domestic policy is ending the American Dream.

Traditional conformism is horrible and I will actively attempt to avoid it. Counterculture is a culture in itself and I embrace that culture. I'm not a punk or an angsty emo kid. I just refuse to give in to traditions and morals when they make people's lives worse.

...Pain is a sensation
Sensation is pleasure
So shut up and enjoy your pain!

Where I live youth culture endorses sex, condones drugs (mostly Marijuana) and lesbianism is cool
:cringe:
If this is culture I'll be counterculture with professional dress plus prim and proper behaviour

You got it backwards. They're the only true Americans, and if you don't dream their dream, you're obviously un-American yourself :D

Top Bottom