What living in today's world means for the younger generation

Where I live youth culture endorses sex, condones drugs (mostly Marijuana) and lesbianism is cool
:cringe:
If this is culture I'll be counterculture with professional dress plus prim and proper behaviour

That's uncanny. I've got an old box set of House on at the minute and Hugh Laurie just smote a job applicant for having long hair and a tattoo and saying he 'didn't care what anyone thought' - he pointed out that 'those Asian kids who spend 20 hours a day in the library; they're the ones who don't care'.

Where I live youth culture endorses sex, condones drugs (mostly Marijuana) and lesbianism is cool
If this is culture I'll be counterculture with professional dress plus prim and proper behaviour

:D

I of course assume this is irony.

That's uncanny. I've got an old box set of House on at the minute and Hugh Laurie just smote a job applicant for having long hair and a tattoo and saying he 'didn't care what anyone thought' - he pointed out that 'those Asian kids who spend 20 hours a day in the library; they're the ones who don't care'.

I'm not quoting you to talk against you if you had any point with it (I'm very tired), but I want to point out that I'm not one of the former stereotypes.

:D

I of course assume this is irony.

I'm not quoting you to talk against you if you had any point with it (I'm very tired), but I want to point out that I'm not one of the former stereotypes.

That isn't irony, that is serious

I'm 21 and don't like death metal.

Resources are being consumed faster and faster. When they run out (or more likely, become way too expensive for anyone to afford) what happens then? People are going to start fighting like dogs for the scraps. The western lifestyle isn't going to last.

Like I said, it isn't just about oil. All the fancy gadgets we like rely on some rare metal that are going to deplete even before that does.

Have some more Popular Apathy(TM). It will go great with your long hair and dark clothes. :rolleyes:

So you're straight edge? ;)

Where I live youth culture endorses sex, condones drugs (mostly Marijuana) and lesbianism is cool.
Is it intentional that you try to sound so much purer then vulgar, weak, licentious masses because that how it really comes off.

For some reason this whole discussion reminds me of a newspaper clipping

Would you agree that world of openness is a world of risks as well as possibilities? It's a world that seems to be asking that people take the risks to reach for the possibilities. But instead of advocating creativity and freshness in our approach, this guy advocates that we simply conform to whatever roles we happen to come across. Maybe there are millions of people who'd actually do well to take his advice, but I guess those are the same people who have no will to take on life as individuals with their own aspirations and personalities.

Thoughts?

Human society never changes in that it keeps changing. It's both comforting and depressing. Comforting because there's something "new" to expect, depressing because it turns out that the damn thing seems cyclical.
You're stating the position still popular in this stage of the generational cycle. Individualism. Celebrate while you can, soon you'll be in the minority. Live long enough, and it may change again - though probably just by the time when you're coming to terms with the new social mood! :lol:

But, I forget, you are asian. I believe that social mood in Asia is not quite in sync with Europe or North America. So I may be wrong on the proximity of a change.

Human society never changes in that it keeps changing. It's both comforting and depressing. Comforting because there's something "new" to expect, depressing because it turns out that the damn thing seems cyclical.
You're stating the position still popular in this stage of the generational cycle. Individualism. Celebrate while you can, soon you'll be in the minority. Live long enough, and it may change again - though probably just by the time when you're coming to terms with the new social mood! :lol:

But, I forget, you are asian. I believe that social mood in Asia is not quite in sync with Europe or North America. So I may be wrong on the proximity of a change.

And what's your point? That you agree with David Brooks?

Two thoughts:

1) professional dress + sex, drugs and lesbianism = WIN

2) Brooks talks like a communist

Parties I go to are lively to say the least, rock n roll, techno, other stuff, booze (though there is always someone there to make sure no one gets drunk), black light, massive subwoofers.

Party 'til you drop (usually they kick out everyone still standing at two). No illicit drugs, sex or homosexuality though.

Parties I go to are lively to say the least, rock n roll, techno, other stuff, booze (though there is always someone there to make sure no one gets drunk), black light, massive subwoofers.

What a terrible idea for a night out.

Party 'til you drop (usually they kick out everyone still standing at two). No illicit drugs, sex or homosexuality though.

Oh, no wonder you don't understand them. You've never partied with them!

Pro-tip, they don't all want to have sex with you when you party with them. If that's your fear, get over it. If you just don't approve, and so don't want to even see them, enjoy your shell.

pm, i assume?

2 AM is not wild, civ king. It's actually pretty normal for a party. Wild parties end at the next sundown.

"Youth Culture" has been endorsing those things since time immemorial. Nothing unproper about it.

Haha what? You really think that's a "wild" party?:lol::lol::lol:

The whole point of a party is to do away with "rules" and other niggling annoyances, like some shriveled killjoy trying to take a drink outta my hand. It's to cut loose and have a good time, without having to worry about anyone bothering you just because you're gay or like to drink a lot.:rolleyes:

But oh well, there have always been, and always will be those prudish folk who refuse to live in the moment.

Top Bottom