1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What luxury did u have today?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by GKShaman, Jul 20, 2013.

1. seancolorado

seancolorado Deity

During my Phoenician Heritage mountain hike I saw a small fox. But that's about it

2. Talcove

Talcove Slayer of Spies

It smelled a bit off in the living room, so I lit some INCENSE, but the First Conference of Trevor embargo'd INCENSE so I didn't get any happiness from the (bad) smell.

When I woke up I put on shirts made of SILK and COTTON that had been coloured with DYES.

I had some WINE with my lunch earlier, and it went nice with the TRUFFLES and SUGAR in my tea.

Other people saw me and were all like, "Man, I wish I could have that guy's culture!" and they started switching over to my table!

3. Byzantine Bomb

Byzantine Bomb Warlord

No luxury yet but I did finish a Great Work of Literature for school :)

4. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Why is coffee not a luxury good in Civ? It makes no sense. I believe the fall patch should include it. Though I guess it might complicate Austria's Unique Building (Coffee House).

5. Bandersnatching

Bandersnatching Warlord

I don't think it necessarily needs to be the hunting of whales. Nowadays it's much more common as an entertainment/luxury, at least in my part of the world, to go whale watching.
    You know what's nice? Being able to go into the wilderness and enjoy many of the luxuries of my civilization. Spices, Salt, Truffles (or just good mushrooms), to name a few. Coffee, Tea and Chocolate really should be luxuries too.
    Luxuries are really so common in my culture today, all you have to do is look around and think about how many of the normal things we consume and enjoy come from around the world to bring us happiness.

6. Jatta Pake

Jatta Pake Warlord

I went to Sea World before so ... yeah ... Whales.

New map luxes I'd like to see:
    Tobacco
    Coffee
    Chocolate
    Olives
    Mint
    Mango (mangoes are consumed worldwide by a factor of three to one over bananas and ten to one over apples according to some sources)
    Tomato
    Tea

New CS or civ luxes I'd like to see:
    Bricks
    Stained Glass
    Grand Pianos
    Watches

7. Brutha2

Brutha2 Chieftain

Being in Bergen, Norway, atm, I could go down to the fish market and get both whale and fur (they have deer hide there for some reason).

8. Nyanko

Nyanko Prince

I saw some whales; does that count?

9. GKShaman

GKShaman Prince

Wow totally forgot sea world and yes seeing whales count as long as u felt happy.

Now we just need pearls and marble!

10. rodrigoq

rodrigoq Warlord

My counter tops are marble, and I caught and ate 3 dungeness crabs while fishing.. I also saw 2 Orca whales and a humpback pod while heading to my fishing spot, and I has a fur hat I wear in the winter. Pearls? wtf, my wife doesn't even like them. But there is the "other" type of pearl necklace.....

11. VainoValkea

VainoValkea Emperor

I have no idea. Also, tobacco and tea leaves should be in.

I've only used porcelain this morning, of Civ V luxuries. And wearing dye and cotton. And posting on this forum using copper wire.

12. Polisurgist

Polisurgist King

I live in DC, which has done its best to exploit the wonder-building bonus you get from access to Marble.

13. quantum42

quantum42 Linux User

I think it's ironic that this game considers salt and sugar luxury items. They are both essential for life.

14. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

Salt, yeah. But salt mines had value. Same with sugar plantations, which generated lots of money in the Conquest of the New World era. Which is why they are in the game as luxuries.

But again, that begs the question as to why coffee is not in the game (and why Indonesian clover, pepper and other spices are not included in the luxury "Spices," as they are distinct luxuries).

15. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

Oil is apparently a strategic resource. Fill your gas tank and it's so strategic eh?

16. mrwho

mrwho Prince

Both were considered luxuries in the past. Romans were sometimes even paid in salt, it was that rare and valuable.

17. Pythakoreas

Pythakoreas Chef Tain

Salt in Korean is "Little Gold".