What major adjustments to play style will you make/have you made?

Xoon

Warlord
I haven't bought this yet, but I can already tell that my wonder hoarding in one city will have to stop. I'm a Wonder junkie, but it looks like with the new tile system, I'll have to be more judicious in my collections. Not sure what I think about that yet.

What major systemic changes do you have to make to your preferred play style to accommodate the new systems in VI?

I've built more early units than I used to, just to deal with the barbs.

And I don't beeline the science district because I rarely have a decent spot for it and population is pretty good for science by itself.

Probably the biggest derp I've made was beelining certain wonders, then realising I couldn't build them (e.g. Great Library, because my capital is surrounded by hills and I chose the +3 mountains tile for my campus instead of the +1 mountain tile next to the only flat land available. But probably benefiting more from the farmland, so, meh.)

Another one is trade routes. I kept expecting to get more from tech/civics (yeah, I know, should have looked it up) and then realised that I'd been building Settlers so my capital wasn't big enough to build the commercial district yet, either.

Also, access to fresh water is more important than it was in Civ 5.

Definitely building (more) units earlier. You absolutely need them for both barbarians and A.I. Even on lower difficulties. There the A.I. might not threaten a loss - but they'll roam around your city and make it slow to improve which at the very least feels more punishing now that workers are builders.

How I settle cities is completely different. Before, you pretty much eyeballed only resources and tried to land a city that nabs as many as you can in it's radius. Now, I barely pay attention to them - rather seeing how the city fits into the overall puzzle of my empire and mapping out the inevitable sprawl. Also water, obviously.

I still shoot for luxuries and bonus resources, but the settling patterns are completely different.

King Jason, that is a really interesting point. I have yet to play, but I can see what you mean from the LPs I have seen.

i hate this 1upt non-sense, waiting for a fix, until then, spreading my units in the field is new to me lol
It's basically the same as in Civ 5, isn't it?
========================
Regarding the question:
I built more units, necessarily so, and also built more cities, because happiness is per city and not global which gives a lot of room for expansion.

Agree with the general trend to building more units early. The "Slinger kills a Barb gets the Archery tech boost" is set to be a standard early turn moment in most of my games. In Civ V I used to get a worker going early. However, now that it doesn't take umpteen turns to build a farm or a mine or a plantation etc, I don't sense the need to rush out Builders. Early moments for me are dealing with Barbs, getting a scout going, monument, couple of districts...that sort of thing. Early game is more appealing to me than Civ V.

I never worried about early game wonders before. Now I am finding myself building them.

Top Bottom