1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What makes Japan a strong cultural Civ?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Leathaface, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Leathaface

Leathaface Emperor

I've seen a couple of posts where people have said that Japan is strong at culture, however the only strength I can see it half-price theatre squares.

What other strengths does Japan have when going for a culture victory?

2. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

Fast Holy Sites too, for founding a religion and getting Choral Music or the triple tourism relic boost.

3. Softly

Softly Warlord

(1) Half price theater squares in and of itself makes them a very strong culture civ.
    (2) Theater Squares are also one of the hardest districts to get decent adjacency bonuses for. Much easier with Japan. This becomes especially important in R&F if you want to use the bonus to theater square building card.
    (3) There can be alot of synergy between the cultural victory and religion/faith generation. Japan is one of the best civs at founding a religion at higher difficulty.
    (4) Electronics factory. Not much but every bit helps on your late game push twords globalization.
    (5) Going for cultural victory requires you to settle cities near the coast for seaside resort tiles. Japan has an easier time conquering and defending coastal cities.

4. Bizrock

Bizrock Chieftain

I'm in a game (Immortal difficult) that in Renaissance Era I'm getting 210 Culture per turn as Japan. Japan get Pantheon faster, which means Divine Spark faster, more Great Writers. Get Theater Squares faster, which mean ever more Great persons. Clustering the districts altogether and near Wonders get crazy adjacency bonus to Theaters Square. R&F indirect buffs Japan because Government plaza get +2 Adjacency bonus to near Districts. So with a lot of Great Works (Which is not hard to get because you will get first) and with Theater Square Policy Card you will get crazy amount of culture. (Didn't even need the Electronics Factory)

The funny thing that Japan can do that not just with culture, but with faith, science or production or all of them together making Japan the most versatile Civ in my opnion.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    Depravo likes this.
  5. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I think you're underestimating how good half-priced theater squares can be.

Victoria and Depravo like this.
  6. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

I don't think they are. They're more of a jack of all trades civ, as they have bonuses to auxiliary districts that can help supplement your win along with the extra adjacency. So you can do a lot of combinations like religion + culture, or science + culture, or great generals to help you wage war.

Half price theater districts are good but remember that you probably don't have the population to fully take advantage of all those districts (nor would you want to)

Basically, Holy Sites and Encampments are pretty bad districts on their own, but Japan's bonus makes them less bad. Theater districts, well, that depends.

7. ShakaKhan

ShakaKhan King

Aside from time victory (which most of us disregard), there are four victory conditions: space, tourism, domination, and religious. Japan's three districts that they get at half price are the "victory condition districts" of three of the four of these: theater squares for tourism, holy sites for religious, and (arguably) encampments for domination (although I feel that campus, industrial zones, and commercial hubs are more beneficial to domination games, but I digress...) The only one that they left out was campus for science victory, I guess because science progression is so important for all victory types and would make them overpowered.

As such, I'd agree w/ @Archon_Wing that they are kind of a jack-of-all-trades civ. except that jack-of-all-trade civs usually has a weak bonus towards several ends, but a half-priced victory condition is a rather potent boost; strong enough that I wouldn't consider them weak bonuses. And this is only 1/2 of one of their four bonuses.

@Softly did a great job of listing their advantages towards a tourism victory. I hadn't considered the relationship between extra coastal combat strength and acquiring/keeping cities that can build resorts. All of the other reasons are pretty good, and again to emphasize what others have noted, a 1/2 priced theater square district is very potent by itself in achieving a tourism victory. Also theater square districts have the hardest requirements for adjacency bonuses (by design?) and Japan's strategy of simply having their theater squares in the middle of district-blocks is a good way to get extra points of culture there.

While it relies on map luck, the encampments at 1/2 priced can be very beneficial if Carthage is around you. Then you can have 2 trade routes per city by building two districts and one of them is 1/2-priced. This can lead to a very productive empire, which helps all victory conditions.

8. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

Carriage no longer gives an extra trade route for encampment, at least in rise and fall.

9. Art Morte

Art Morte Prince

I wouldn't call them strong culturally. The half-price theater is good, that's about it.

But I kind of like Japan. Half-price holy and theater districts and better adjacency bonuses make them a jack-of-all-trades civ for me. So, you can have cheaper districts towards two victories and easier to get campus adjacency bonuses, which, imo, is the most important district to have adjacency bonuses for.

10. Benzombie

Benzombie Warlord

For me, half price theater squares are cool but not main center point, I prefer domination victories as Japan. Also, since I use the adjacency bonuses for big boosts in science, I use the electronic factories as a catch up in culture.

11. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Super Moderator

Their adjacency bonuses means they are a good all round civ

12. myclan

myclan Prince

Now we can faith buy archaeologists and museum make Japan strong culture civ

13. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

I don't think they are. For stable cultural victory, the tier list is the following.

T1: Civs with tourism UI( or Indonesia UI) , which only require Flight to make effect.
    T2: Civs with strong Science bonus, which allows faster Radio and Computer.
    T3: Civs with culture bonus, making getting great writers and archealogists earlier.

For unstable cultural victory, there're two other factors.
    P1: Civs with more book slots, making Cultural victory with Great Writer only becomes possible.
    P2: Civs with strong religion bonus and more relic slots, making it possible for fast relic victory.( for this you really have to be fast otherwise it will be slower than Flight(T110ish) or even Computer(T125ish))
    (The above 2 victory type can be fast given good map condition, but are not very stable)

Japan have a tiny T3/P2 bonus, making it about an average civ for cultural victory.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
    BrotherInJah and Jarms48 like this.
  14. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

I find them nice all around (half price holy sites with extra adjacency are good due to monumentality... Still nowhere near as abusable as harvest pantheon but it works) half price TS as well means you will get discounted campi and CHs once your cities have those two districts up.

They are probably below Russia though. Russia gets the TS out slower but the GPP are given with the lavras... And Russia usually has a great faith output.

15. Softly

Softly Warlord

Wait what you can do this?

16. myclan

myclan Prince

Enter a golden age and then choose monumentality

17. Softly

Softly Warlord

Archaeologists come around in the late Industrial Era. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think you even get the option for monumentality that late in the game.

18. kb27787

kb27787 Deity

Doesn't matter what age the world is in, if you get the civic, you can buy them.
    They are around ~800 faith each.

19. cakes

cakes Prince

They're pretty average but what sets them over the edge is the +1 culture from encampments, which for them are half price

20. isau

isau Deity

The half-cost districts make them bearable to play because I'm not watching little meters tick down as much. :D