What makes music addicting?

CC-2224

Look! A Chicken!
Many people, upon hearing a song will become immersed in the music and will find themselves listening to the same song over and over again. Why?

I feel that music changes your mental state. For example, some songs will put me in a happy state of mind. Others will make me sad, or energetic. Listening to music is an experience that we want to repeat over and over again.

What makes a song addicting to you? Is it the beat? Or is it the lyrics? Is it how the song sound? What about the generally theme/idea behind the song?

I think is mostly the beat and rhythm, which can be related with that sport activity everybody likes; sex, but it can be the whole music thing. Somehow I think there is a mental link between music and sex.

Music is an integral part of being human.

It just clicks with the human psyche.

Beat and Rhythm. Sometimes, a person can relate to a song and they believe that song is talking about themselves, so they really get into it.

"Music is like a drug. You play it, it goes in your ear, and you get a vision. MTV is video. If you listen to music, and you get a vision, and you go home and watch MTV, and the vision that you had is the same as the music video they're playing, kill yourself."

Lewis Black.

"Music is like a drug. You play it, it goes in your ear, and you get a vision. MTV is video. If you listen to music, and you get a vision, and you go home and watch MTV, and the vision that you had is the same as the music video they're playing, kill yourself."

Lewis Black.

Lol :lol:. I think that music stimulates the imagination, making people more creative.

Sometimes, a person can relate to a song and they believe that song is talking about themselves, so they really get into it.

Interesting. I think that you can tell what a person is like just by his/her music.

As has been said: the rhythm. There also needs to be enough "stuff" going on to make it interesting. Meaning, long chords with no movement bores me.

So thats why I am addicted to "What is love - Haddaway" and start boppin' my head like them Roxbury guys :ack:.

its good at makin teenagers feel like all the stupid crap they get depressed over is actually worth getting depressed over

Mood makes it addicting. If i'm in a bad mood i'll listen to Nightwish songs over and over again. If not then i listen to them every now and then. :)

Yeah, I'm much more sensible to the melodic line and harmony than to the rhythm. I'm a musician myself, and I think all these music theory studies made me focusing more on harmony than the rest (including lyrics by the way).

Top Bottom