What maps do you prefer to play on?

Larsenex

King
My last several games have been continents using YaMPGC. In fact I have not ventured out of my comfort zone and was willing to give it a whirl.

As a side issue >>> lately my turn times with Yampgc have been longer than normal. I am wondering if there is a conflict with one of the mods but I will troubleshoot that later.

Do we have the equivelent of Big n Small yet?

What Civ do you like to use for Pangea? (I am going to try this next.)

Aside from Gedomons map, has anyone made a mod to limit the ice over the poles that prevents circumnavigation? Gedemons map works wonders, I was just curious if anyone made something as a stand alone that can be added to other map mods.

Cheers!

I also prefer the YNAMP maps. I've been experimenting with the Detailed worlds mod, it's fairly interesting. Continents tend to have cool bays, inlets and the like, and the river scripting seems to produce some good results for city placements.

Island plates. Small. Two extra civs.

Going wide is a too good strategy so I try to make expansion costly.

Ynaemp, GEM ludicrous size (230x115).

I generally prefer fractal (sometimes pangaea) maps if I plan to do any warring (which is often), and island plates maps for secluded and peaceful games.

I prefer Fractal with the Detailed Worlds mod. Sometimes I'll play Pangaea or Continents, but most often it's Fractal. That seems to provide the most interesting and unusual land shapes.

Last edited:
Continents/Pangea

As with most Civ games, large, shuffle, all random civs. I like the unknown.... :mischief:

Huge continents.
Roman epic, other wise standard...

Maps plus - no ice locking etc..
Terra Plus, huge, high sea level (this will reduce the chance of there being a coastal path to the new world), abundant resources, balanced start, and new world age.
New world (americas) has its own set of luxuries, CS, and natural wonders. The CS do a good job managing the barbs in the new world. Southern and Northern circumnavigation paths are free of ice.
Playing with max number major civs and no CS is my current preference.
I usually have to restart a couple of times in order to get the desired number of civs to be placed.
Great map to play as Norway.
The AI will settle the new world.

95% of my games have been standard size continents... I played a 6 leaf and internal lake once. Islands twice.
I never used advanced options as I consider it cheating but I will reload and restart so go figure that logic.

BTW, I have never lost to religion on continents, the AI just cannot take that much religion off another civ that late.

I haven't tried any of the map mods mentioned above, but I have tried the bulk of the built-in maps. I think I like inland sea the best, tons of room to expand and develop. I've had mixed results with Island plates, it really depends on the start you get there. I will often play on Huge size maps, but the games take a while so I'll probably start dropping the map size down a bit.

Usually random since I like not knowing.
But if I had to choose, continents is probably the more balanced, and fractal the funnier because randomness here as well :)

Top Bottom