What Metacritic rating do you think Civ VI will get?

What Metacritic rating do you think Civ VI will get?

• 90+

Votes: 37 69.8%
  • 90-80

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • 80-70

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • 70-60

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Don't like to guess

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kouvb593kdnuewnd

Left Forever
Just for fun:c5happy:
Rating of previous civ games:
  • Civilization V: 90
  • Civilization IV: 94
  • Civilization III: 90
  • Civilization II: 94

93 from people who got early copies and want to stay in the publisher's good graces

81 from the uncorrupted reviews

Has to be above a 90 from everything I've seen. I'd say 92-94
Remember Rome II. Although people disliked Rome II for several reasons it is possible that reviewer may dislike some stuff about civilization VI which push it below a 90+ score.

If we go by user score neither civ V or civ IV would be 90+ games.

Seems be pretty unambiguously better than Civ V on release--less innovative, perhaps, but way more polished and playable. But Civ IV is a tough bar to clear. I'll say 92.

I think you probably shouldn't pay much attention to Metacritic pretty much ever.

Do you realize how many people are going to give Civ 6 a 0/10 because there's no Persia or Ottomans, but Scythia and two Greek leaders made it?

"the graphics are too cartoony and the character models look weird 0/10"

Incidentally, I believe that anyone who gives a 0/10 on a AAA game has never actually played a real "0/10" game.

Metacritic just sucks.

There's no gender controversy to bring in hordes of Gamergaters to drag the score down (like happened to Dragon Age: Inquisition, which ended up winning numerous game of the year awards and selling big anyway). So that just leaves the "The graphics look cartoony! Wah!" crowd. That's why I'm voting for a 80-90 score, even though I suspect knowledgeable players will eventually rate it over 90.

And that's the point. The Metacritic score tells you nothing about the game besides (maybe) hive-mind attitudes towards it.

Edit: posted simultaneously with Drubell--I agree with him :)

It will depend on a few things we don't yet know. For example one of my favourite games ever, Fallout: New Vegas got a Metascore of 84 while Fallout 3 got 91, simply because of the amount of bugs in New Vegas. Most Fallout-players will agree that FO:NW was as least as good as FO3.

But I'm thinking it will be around 90 if there are not a whole lot of bugs and crashes. The user score, however, will be lower. Because people give a game 0/10 if the slightest thing is not to their liking, especially if it comes from a big publisher and gets a good score from press.

Which metacritic score I do not mean the user score part.

Civ V made 90+ only barely. Had the critics just be slightly more harsh, then it would not be a 90+ game.

Last edited:
Let's be honest: if your advertising budget is large enough, you get a 90+ if the game is decent. Reviewers whose lifeblood depends on advertising cannot afford to antagonize the publishers that spend the big bucks. Smaller reviewers cannot antagonize large publishers for fear of losing access.

Even if the game is a total turd it can get an 80+ for the same reasons. Dragon Age II, anyone?

From what we've seen, I'm betting 90+ rather than 80+.

Smaller reviewers cannot antagonize large publishers for fear of losing access.

And then some are like the site I'm from - too small to even be a blip on 2K's galacto-scale radar array. ;)

As for my bets, 94-95 if the AI shapes up as better than it was in the media build, 88-91 if it's bad enough it significantly dampens some reviewers' experience.

Like a 10%. The raging assclowns who are angry about the art style will make a billion accounts and vote 0.

Zero Bombing has totally ruined the validity of user scores for games anyhow, ironically defeating itself in the process. Good riddance, zero bombers should be hanged, drawn and quartered.

Top Bottom