1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What Mods do you want to see come out first?

Discussion in 'CivBE - Requests and Ideas' started by gunnergoz, Sep 16, 2014.

1. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Assuming the game releases with an editor similar to Worldbuilder and is on the Steam Workshop from the beginning, what mods do you want to see come out first?

My vote, in no particular order, is for:

- more biomes (assuming they are simply terrain sets and relatively straightforward to create)
    - more Sponsors (or at least varied UA's for the existing sponsors)
    - more map scripts
    - more Quests
    - Affinity and Virtues variations
    - UB's and UU's (if feasible)

2. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

I do hope the game is extremely moddable. Civilization 5 was promised to be the most moddable Civ yet and that really didn't pan out.

I would hope that there would be a way to get rid of 1UPT and at least allow for limited stacking of units. Say a limit of three units plus a "civilian unit" like a worker or a great person. (If they have great people in the game.)

Perhaps be able to assign unit weights and modify the stacking limit according to terrain. In other words, some terrains would allow for 3 units to be stacked and other more inhospitable terrains would only allow 1UPT.

However, this may not be possible with the 32 bit strategy engine. If at all possible, I'd love to see a 64 bit strategy engine for Civ VI. Here is a good article talking about the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit strategy engines by Derek Paxton of Fall from Heaven fame:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/stardocks-derek-paxton-explains-how-new-64-bit-engine-can-revitalize-strategy-gaming

3. DarkestOnion

DarkestOnion Chieftain

I would like to see Modders first experiment with cosmetic mods such as making my Marines look like Marines from various Science Fiction movies/books. After that I would like to see New Factions, New Tile Improvements, and New Alien Lifeforms.

4. Chapel

Chapel Chieftain

I am hoping there will be some way for someone to mod a tech tree replacement for the tech web. And more biomes for sure would be nice. Also a little bit of SMAC porting. At least the factions would be nice but I would love to be able to see some mind worms also.

5. bite

bite Moderator Moderator

Honestly a Mars mod, how much you could simulate terraforming might hamper this, but I would still be all over that

6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

Soren Johnson is apparently doing a Mars type game that has been described as M.U.L.E. on steroids. :)

7. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

I don't know the first thing about modding, but there are already plenty of mods for Civ 5 that get rid of 1UPT . . . and Civ BE is based on the Civ 5 engine . . . so this seems like it would be an extremely doable mod. Maybe the Civ 5 mods will already work, or maybe they might need some minor tweaks.

8. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Chieftain

yes, the guy who works at Stardock which is working on a new 64-bit strategy gaming engine, will happily let you know it's better ;)

edit:

it is though. 64-bit games need to become standard over the next year or two though.

9. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

Nothing wrong with a little hype. ;)

I must admit I was impressed with the 100 player Gal Civ III game, though. :eek:

It is the wave of the future. I really hope Civ VI will be a 64 bit game. :)

10. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Yep, concur, have been convinced that 64 bit seems to be the way to go.

11. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

I guess the problem is that 1UPT is so deeply engrained in the game that you'd have to rebalance literally everything to make it work. Plus, the AI would need to be changed.

I'll keep my eye out for it, though. Thanks. :)

12. iRule

iRule Chieftain

Honestly?

A complete artwork overhaul that doesn't make the game look so childish and stereotypical 21st century Transformers-like-sci-fi.

I had great hope for this title's artwork but they blew it. If only they had kept the "feeling" of the trailer - but I'm guessing it was done by a completely different team that had nothing to do with the game's development.

I can go for the Harmony, Supremacy and Purity thing, but please, don't make it so stereotypical and bland. Purity soldiers wearing bulletproof, retro European medieval armor... seriously guys?

I'm all for the fantastic sci-fi theme, but just don't make it bland. No, I'm sorry, but unlike they've been saying at Firaxis I things it's pretty evident that the transition from the "near-future" to the "far-feature" is too abrupt for me to being able to keep my suspension of disbelief.

I love the early game artwork but I find the late-game so, so awful...

So yeah, I'm hoping for a good artwork overhaul. Purity units? Sure, but just don't try to make those tanks look like World War 1 ones.

Edit:

13. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

More sponsors. I plan on porting my custom civ asap. Erotic ninja musical comedy in space, I know what the people want. I really hope they use the same format for texture files.

14. Alkyon

Alkyon Chieftain

More sponsors is pretty much my only desire. Perhaps an XCOM sponsor that gets a weakened version of the Scavenging Virtue automatically? Or just make silly versions of old Civs like the Space Zulu (fly fifty lightyears and fight a battle).

After that more biome types. The aforementioned "red planet" would be great.

15. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

That Supremacy Unit is based off of Striker Eureka from Pacific Rim, not Transformers.

Anyway, the first thing that I'll be doing for sure is more Sponsors.

16. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

I'd love to see a mod that let us land after some other factions are already down...but only after we get a good look at each one's landing zones (a real planetary survey) first. Certain details like alien nests could be left out to leave some excitement (!) and surprises (!!) to greet our lander, of course. :D Realistically, I don't think we'll have the ability to mod our arrival time.

17. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

1. Alpha Centauri mod
    2. Dune mod
    3. A mod adding all the factions people really want but don't get in the base game (Japan, Germany, etc.)
    4. More affinities if possible
    5. More mapscripts
    6. SPESS MEHRENS

18. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Is #6 = "space maidens" as said with one's mouth full of breakfast cereal?

19. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Actually space marines, but the lore of Dawn of War holds that the one true way to say it is SPEHS MEHRENS

Link to video.
    The above is why.

20. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Cool, but I'll hold out for the Wild Space Maidens, thank you. The mind boggles. :D