What mods would you like me to make?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Dale, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Chinese American

Chinese American Hamtastic Knight

Railroad Tycoon subgame. Each city supplies and demands specific resource, depending on buildings, resource, and improvements on nearby tiles. you build caravans that carry these materials and freight, they move between cities and give revenue upon arrival. random event at random city demanding specific resource and grant huge profits.

One city only. Capital occupies unlimited amount of tiles. Such that every resource within the national border belongs to this city. if you take over a city, it disappears and every tile that belonged to it now belongs to your city. your units can move faster inside your borders.

2. Dale

Dale Mohawk Games Developer

I'm trying to avoid anything "modern" due to the amount of contention that was created during my stint making RtW. This is why there is a lack of Cold War mods (or even modern war mods) just because it causes too many disagreements on the Gameplay / Realism split.

I REALLY loved Panzer General, Imperialism II and Colonization, so I'm seriously leaning towards a blending of all three. This would be my major project.

In terms of modcomps, if not covered somehow I've got natural wonders, urban sprawl and possibly a combat extension mod (like DCM) if required. :)

Modding is really about changing the game. Anything that alters the original released format is a mod. Anything that deviates away from official patch changes or expansion packs is a mod.

For Civ4Col what they're referring to is my PatchMod, which was adopted later by Firaxis (well 95% of it) for the official patch to Civilization IV: Colonization. I also developed on that base to produce Age of Discovery II, which I believe fills out the game into a much more fun and realistic experience of how the Colonization era was.

3. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

Thanks Dale, I am equally honoured for your recognition my efforts. :D

The first 12 months while you are making the mods, I'll be learning to code, so your support during the first 12 months may simply be pointers to this learning.

4. trevort

trevort Corporal of Marines

I loved RtW. Was the contention within the modding community or at firaxis. You won't here me complain about any modern war mods you might make for Civ5. ;)
    Would it be possible to convert RtW to be Civ5 compatible? Is it too far away from release for you to be able to give a good answer to that?
    Civ5 DCM would be awesome. Urban sprawl is a must, I think.

5. kiwitt

kiwitt Road to War Modder

You need to read the The Road to War forum to get where Dale is coming from. And I can see how it will be quite draining, to manage many different views to history, while trying to address playability and balance.

6. Dale

It was always my intention to make a "playable" version of World War II instead of a "realistic" version. You have to remember that Road to War went out to every copy of BtS sold, and the final UE-version downloaded over 250,000 times. I'm proud that I made WW2 accessible to that many people. And I hope I passed on some history, as well as something that is uniquely me. :)

But what kiwitt has done is take my core and expand the realism to form a version of RtW that is pleasing for the hard-cores. For that, kiwitt gets a dip of my hat. :)

Thus you can understand why a lot of the gameplay over realism choices I made caused some contention on the forums. I took more than a couple posts of abuse for that decision. :lol:

But personally, I think the end result certainly outweighs the abuse. :)

7. Dale

I can't answer that yet.

8. trevort

Thanks for your work. RtW is one of the reasons I bought BtS. It did make WW2 accessible and playable. That's the important part. Mod on. You rock.:band:

9. trevort

Don't know can't. Or Non disclosure agreement can't. :mischief:

10. Ahovking

Ahovking Cyber Nations

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DALE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A Globe WW2 OR WW1 map

ONE WORD EPIC

11. Dale

Please read post #122 of this thread. :)

12. trickofthehand

trickofthehand Prince

alien invasion. why hasn't this been done yet?

Well's War of the Worlds is fine, since you're not a fan of making late-game mods

13. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

The first thing I always look for with a new release is new terrain graphics. The vanilla ones are usually good, but, at least in 2 and 3, modders always made something a little bit better. There was only really Blue Marble and some variations on it in 4, but I figure it's got to be one of the most popular and ubiquitous mods made for 4.

Other than that - I'd really have to play the game to know. Obviously it's fun to turn it into a fantasy game in the style of Fall From Heaven, but as far as proper civ, my favourite in civ4 so far has been RevolutionDCM. RevDCM is a whole lot of little changes to the way civ4 works and I think something along those lines will probably be my preferred mod in civ5 as well - and it would be necessary to play the game first to get an idea of what would be nice to change.

OK, I can think of one thing, if it's not there. Civ3 style human sacrifice. Call me sadistic but I've really missed that one. Meshes nicely with a fantasy mod, too, although the absence wasn't really a big deal in regular civ.

Damn! Imperialism II! I thought I was the only one! I still play it occasionally, because it's portable. It doesn't need to be installed so you can stick it on a thumb drive and play it anywhere. It's great. Yep, the resource and transportation systems in Imperialism I and II still have never been equalled. It was a great balance between depth and simplicity, and I've always longed to see it featured in civ.

14. Dale

I no longer have Civ4 on my computer, but Imp2 has been a staple. Always there. :)

BTW, this thread (at weplayciv) may interest you: http://www.weplayciv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2736

15. Andrew_Jay

Andrew_Jay Prince

That's what I plan on doing, updating my Sengoku Jidai scenario (see signature), should be fun to try and make a new map in hexes (I was able to cheat last time, having found a map of Japan already converted into a grid).

But I'm no modding genius like Dale, so it would be pretty basic (I can only handle XML and some graphics, no Python or SDK).

I know Dale doesn't want to do anything modern, but would like to see 1UPT put to good use in "proper" versions of their First and Second World War scenarios.

Really looking forward to something like Imperialism though, it was a favorite of mine too. Hard to say which I liked better - the interface was definitely a lot better in II.

16. The Cosmic Kid

The Cosmic Kid Warlord

Or an update to Civ2's Verne scenario. That would be amazing.

17. Willem

Willem Deity

Give us a break! Until we know more about how the game is going to play out, it's next to impossible to come up with any suggestions as to what may be needed, or wanted. Maybe you have an inside track into how Civ 5 works but the rest of us are completely in the dark.

18. Dale

You may want to continue past that post and read the remaining 100 posts. There's some really awesome ideas. :mischief:

19. frekk

frekk Scourge of St. Lawrence

If you're going to do that, why stop with just the colonization era?

Imperialism II's resource models gels nicely with other historical periods, as well. The first challenge for me in a game of Imp2 is finding some tin (often difficult), so I can add it to copper (which is usually ubiquitious) to create bronze, in order to make ships (bronze doesn't rust, that's why you need it for fittings etc on the early ships) and the early bronze cannon.

Can anything be better suited to a depiction of how the Bronze Age worked, and the importance of tin during that era? To be honest I find it a little out of place in Imp2's timeframe. Bronze certainly regained alot of importance but tin became alot easier to get owing to deep shaft mining. In the Bronze Age, tin was a critical resource, expensive and not easily obtained. Large amounts were needed for certain things - for instance, the rams on triremes, which were solid bronze and required hundreds of pounds of the metal.

20. Willem

Willem Deity

Well yeah, I'm sure there are. But since we don't really know how the various game mechanics are going to work out, it's pretty hard for us to make any concrete suggestions. I suspect you're already playtesting Civ 5 so you're in a much better position to judge what will be needed than anyone else here. Other than suggesting various scenarios, and I second the Napoleanic era idea, we're just going to be stabbing in the dark. I did however glance at your idea of adding religions back into the game, which I would heartily approve of. Provided Firaxis isn't already planning on reintroducing them in some future expansion. And some aspects of Colonization would be nice. In particular the possibility of developing some sort of manufacturing industry based on resources.