What movie(s) have you recently seen 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen American Gangster? It looks pretty good and I'm curious if I ought to plunk down the $ to see it in a theater.

It's gotten great reviews, from what I hear Denzel Washington is seriously on top of his game in this one, as is everyone else. Overall I'd say paying ~$7 to see Denzel at his best can't be a waste of money.

The original or the recent remake?
I suppose the recent remake with Nicholas Cage. I did not realize it was a remake, though.

Ooh, just found the original on IMDB. Christopher Lee as the pagan leader, eh?

Night of the Living Dead:

Absolutely brilliant. This film lived up to its reputation - and then some. It's a very fine demonstration of 'simple but effective' in action. It is simply told, simply shot and simply delivered, with no flashiness and over complication, meaning that Romero's masterful story telling capabilities are foregrounded. The pacing is deftly controlled, with it getting going pretty quickly and escalating at a pace to keep one always uneasy, if not all that scared.

What really makes it of huge value though, even and especially today, is its bold social and political commentary, plainly apparent in so many areas: The carnage of the Vietnam War being visited on eastern USA, with search and destroy missions by helicopter, flickering news footage, and at times unfathomable motivations and conditions. In it you can also see capitalists devouring mankind; untrustworthy, unreliable, heavy handed and incompetent government and civil authorities; promotion of violence by them and the media; resistance being divided for various reasons; flawed news media unable to process and deal with extreme crisis, relying on uncertain, unreliable and belligerent government sources; and the outright nihilistic tragedy and despair when faced with all this. Then there are the taboos aplenty, arising out of this situation; cannibalism and killing of parents being the obvious ones, upping the ante nicely.

The black and white handling served this all very well, meaning that you were never really aghast or distracted by the colour of blood and guts, but left to ponder on the meaning instead. The use of chiaroscuro lighting is most appropriate, giving it that moral wasteland effect that I just love in the gothic and film noir genres. And the ending is one of the best I've seen.

I could bang on about this film for ages. Just go ahead and watch it.

Land of the Dead:

This was visually quite delicious, but not a patch on his first zombie offering above, or "Dawn of The Dead". You get an updated and still damning critique of society and government, but I got the impression that it was somewhat over complicated and, at times, too blunt with its metaphors. The big budget, sfx (which were outstanding), internal and external references to other movies (like Mad Max), the fiddling of Universal Studios (resulting in an un-Romero-like ending) and a number of other factors are all to blame for this. Nevertheless, it was hugely enjoyable and I'd still recommend it.

Evil Dead:

I thought this was a pile of crap, if not a hot steaming one. Especially as I watched it after the two above. This was purely and simply a gore-fest and a shock-fest and was totally devoid of any kind of social or political commentary. So it felt totally empty. And it was.

What was done well though was the use of point of view shots, which kept switching around, meaning you were unsettled most of the time. The use of lighting to create confusion in perspective was also pretty good and had a similar effect. When the first shock came, I was genuinely scared. Pity it was mainly about the gore though from there on in. I mean, the unrelenting goriness was generally poorly executed with terrible sfx and animation, and then it was given centre stage and lingered upon, ad nauseum. I was just sitting there shaking my head in the last half. Add to that the blatant misogynism, childish scary lines (like "we're gonna get you") and the inexplicable premise of ancient Sumerian spirits located in America, and it all amounted to not a lot. This just didn't do it for me.

Necrophiliac much? :D :crazyeye:

V for Vendetta

Greatest Ever.

Marat/Sade.

It...was...INSANE!:mwaha:

I suppose the recent remake with Nicholas Cage. I did not realize it was a remake, though.

Ooh, just found the original on IMDB. Christopher Lee as the pagan leader, eh?

Aye! Didn't see the one with Cage, but Lee does a good job in the original.

Wanted to go see Stardust with my girls (aged 4 and 7) this week-end, but missed it and ended seeing meet the robinsons and...
I had a blast !
Think Jimmy Neutron on steroids and you're not even close.
Enjoyed it very much, the girls loved it too (although they didn't get the time travel part...)
Now I have to go watch Stardust later this week (because I loved the book).

Transformers.

end monologue is kinda creepy. (voyeurs)

Bullets Blood and a Fistful of Ca$h

as action, quality B movies go, this is top quality.
highly recommended if youd like some vigelante killing mobsters kind of movie.
rather new, it has that classic 80's feel to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom