What movie(s) have you seen IX:The Police Academy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I saw Dark Dungeons, I've also watched the three The Gamers films, the first two covering RPGs and the third a CCG similar to L5R. The second one was easily the funniest.

It was enjoyable and unique. Flawed, and it kinda fell apart towards the end, but I don't regret watching it.

I just saw Snowpiercer and I thought it was great :D

That old British chick was amazing.
Captain America was ok.

Why wasn't this in movie theatres in the USA?

Approximately 94% of SP's critics will die.

But, in my view, it was a 7/10 movie or around that, but also with likely zero rewatchability. Good scenery/space/context, some pronounced sequences (eg stuff of protein :) ), but very linear (i know they are moving in a train).

"You know what I hate most about myself?
The fact that I know what people taste like.
And that babies taste the best."

:sad:

How can that line be topped when said in a tearful manner?
By Captain America!

And the end scene?
It's kind of like the Architect from the Matrix 2, only way better.
Just like the Korean guy was the key master.
And Neo was being chased by Baptists.

This reminds me of:

Soylent Green is made of people!

also Jonathan Swift's A Modest Proposal. You should read it, it's pretty short.

Snowpiercer (2014) - 6/10

I would have given it a 7/10, until the ending. I haven't quite decided how to interpret the ending, but everything I come up with is 'meh.'

Just watched Snowpiercer. Good movie, but... god, what a stupid ending.
I agree completely.

Alien (1979) - 10/10

As classic as classics get, it pretty much nails everything it's aiming at. The script, the performances, the creature, the ship, the tone, the pacing, the opening, the climax. I really don't have a quibble with this movie, anywhere. Sigourney Weaver takes over the film and sets a massive stone in the foundation of an entire category of women in science fiction. Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, Katee Sackhoff in Battlestar Galactica, Gina Torres in Firefly, Anna Torv in Fringe, Eve Myles in Torchwood, Amanda Tapping in Stargate SG-1. We could go on and on, I expect. Famously, the script was originally written with a male protagonist, and when they cast Weaver, they didn't alter anything to make Ripley "more female", they just changed the pronouns and made history.

If you haven't seen it, it belongs on your "to see" list, and it doesn't matter whether you're normally interested in science fiction or horror.

Link to video.

Snowpiercer (2014) - 6/10

I would have given it a 7/10, until the ending. I haven't quite decided how to interpret the ending, but everything I come up with is 'meh.'

I give Snowpiercer a 7/10 because of the ending. A few thoughts:

Spoiler :
1. They shouldn't have revealed why everyone was on the train until they saw the first windows. It would have been more interesting to have the big reveal be "OMG! The earth is a frozen wasteland!" That is to say, since it had been 17 years, many would have forgotten what happened, just scraping by on hand-outs, like living in the doldrums. You lose a lot by living like that, it sucks the life out of you.

2. It makes sense, then, to have the rebellion be instigated in a Malthusian way by Wilford. That's what I liked about the reveal. I also saw it coming. Who didn't? However, the dissonance of the elite was way too comical. It detracted from the intensity.

3. While it differed from the graphic novels, I thought the differences gave it more of the 21st century edge that the original Mitterand-era French story didn't have. Though, the original GN train had 1001 cars.

4. Too violent.

5. The end was great, and also a sharp difference from the Graphic novels -- they all died of a virus, and Proloff, the Curtis of the original, spends the rest of his life tending the empty train. In the.film, the children escaping (and more people may have) seeing the polar bear means that life DID survive after all...

But, then, they are likely to end up as polar bear food...

I also saw all four Mission Impossible films, because a friend of mine was cast in #5. They were all worth watching, but #2 I liked the least, #3 The Best, and #4 had THE best setpiece with the Dubai tower. Awesome.

So:
MI 1 = 7/10
MI 2 = 6/10
MI 3 = 9/10
MI 4 = 8/10

Nah, the ending is really dumb.

Spoiler :
Well, instead of trying to fix the problems on the train so we can continue to survive while the earth warms back up, let's rig an explosive that will destroy the train and kill everyone except for two kids about to get eaten by a polar bear.

Spoiler :
Zack, the dude was high. Not thinking.

But there is no fixing a rigged system. The train was doomed as soon as the secret was out and the boy left the compartment. It was the only solution. Revolution is ugly, but when 1789 comes, 1793 is.not far behind.

Just because it's not someyhing you would do does not make it a good.ending.

However, read the graphic novels. Awesome

Spoiler :
That's a cop-out to say "he was high." He explains that this is something he has been contemplating and working towards for years. The whole reason he agreed to help and collected the kronole in the first place was so that he could make the bomb. Getting high was just a bonus and didn't affect his decision. His ability to fight clearly wasn't affected. Plus the surviving girl (and future of humanity) was just as high, and drunk to boot.

That's not really what makes it bad, though. What makes it so terrible is that it's portrayed as a happy ending, like it was the right thing to do, and in a heavy-handed way. Personally, I believe that killing the entire human race was not the correct choice, but the movie portrays the guy (can't remember his name) as a hero.

Saying it's "the only solution" is like saying the only solution to the problems in the American government today is to nuke the whole country to oblivion.

The Weight of Chains (2011). Srbija stronk!

Spoiler :

Saying it's "the only solution" is like saying the only solution to the problems in the American government today is to nuke the whole country to oblivion.

Nah... Get rid of the rigged system... 1789 style...

Spoiler alert: class-based systems reap what they sew. Boom!

Read the graphic novel. Seriously.

Edit: Here is a discussion of the ending, including the director's take...

Just watched Interstellar. Woah, man. Just Woah.

It's the most visually stunning film I've seen. when they're passing by Saturn or near the black hole... I was about to cry because it was so beautiful.

Story-wise, it aimed high and fell short. It gets kinda lame towards the end. It's still really cool and visually it's an experience that defies 2001 as Nolan intended, but a couple inconsistencies and weak plot devices are a downer. Some twists are unnecessary but they are well executed, so I'd give it a pass.

Remarkably, I have the opposite feeling than I do with some Kurosawa films. In the latter, I sometimes feel the story takes too long, yet there isn't really anything you could cut. With Interstellar, I felt like every minute was well spent yet some parts could have been done away with entirely. Like the end, which is the only somehow bad part of the movie. The rest is fine or even good at some points.

10/10 for visuals and music

5.5/10 for story and (I guess?) cut

7.5/10 overall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom