What movie(s) have you seen IX:The Police Academy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Freeyway" scene was way too long. I saw it at the cinema and got a crick in my neck for watching half an hour of "blink and you miss it" stuff. Pacing, what is it?

I saw The Godfather for the first time this weekend. People consistently list it as one of the best movies ever but I don't get what all the fuss
Felt similar. Good movie, by all means. Not the best thing ever. But I also really couldn't care less about aesthetic/technical criteria. I want a movie that moves me in some way, in a enjoyable way and the better the movie does it the better it is for me. That's it.

About the Matrix, i agree. The first movie was quite good :) The other two were trash (particularly the Merovingian/Twins/Architect).

Of course elements of that were around even in the first movie, with the 'oracle' or what she was termed as. There is no spoon :\

So I just learnt that The Matrix: Reloaded contains "the worst line ever delivered in a mainstream Hollywood film. Any guesses what it is?

Spoiler :
"Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of The Matrix."

I remember scratching my head at this. What does it even mean? :confused:

I saw The Three Musketeers (2011) last night. It's a frankly ridiculous film, but it is quite amusing and features some fine acting talent. I don't know why they had to recruit a very obviously American actor for d'Artagnan when everyone else in the cast was British or mainland European.

So I just learnt that The Matrix: Reloaded contains "the worst line ever delivered in a mainstream Hollywood film. Any guesses what it is?

Spoiler :
"Your life is the sum of a remainder of an unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of The Matrix."

While the architect-crap was terrible, i personally regard that line as pretty decent. I mean if it was not given by (i assume) that person in the film, it would have been reasonably ominous and cancelling, cause it meant that your life was just there due to some remainder needed for an equation to function, the equation having nothing to do with you anyway (much like the inconsequential mass of dusty substance lost in a factory line when the bulk of the substance is automatically placed in neat little boxes :) ).

About the Matrix, i agree. The first movie was quite good :) The other two were trash (particularly the Merovingian/Twins/Architect).

Of course elements of that were around even in the first movie, with the 'oracle' or what she was termed as. There is no spoon :\
Hey, the Merovingian was awesome.

Spoiler :

It's the totally alien view of humans and their place in the world that the Architect has.

^A bit crude that the supposed 'architect' cares enough about humans to have (even momentarily) a human form with a white costume and other nonsense, while maintaining he barely can observe anything not tied to the core code of the matrix :mischief:

Edit:

It would have been far more believable if the 'architect' was some kind of amorphous blob, and it was not even evident it noticed humans at all, and if it did it would tend to be repulsed or alarmed :)

so recently saw close encounters of the third kind (1977) and i know that voice (2013)

I had seen some of close encounters when I was much younger; overall it's good, but it drags out a bit. My memory from when I was a child seeing it was that I thought the communication was in the middle of the movie and not the very end :p. Maybe 6.7/10

I know that voice is a little documentary (really series of interviews) on american voice actors. It's ok, nothing really compelling about it. 6/10.

"11:14" I have not seen a movie like it before, seams pretty unique to me, very well worth to spend time on.

Gantz! Now I need to watch the second part.

The Wind Rises - fun film.

While the architect-crap was terrible, i personally regard that line as pretty decent. I mean if it was not given by (i assume) that person in the film, it would have been reasonably ominous and cancelling, cause it meant that your life was just there due to some remainder needed for an equation to function, the equation having nothing to do with you anyway (much like the inconsequential mass of dusty substance lost in a factory line when the bulk of the substance is automatically placed in neat little boxes :) ).

Without all the pseudo-intellectual words in the architect scene it could have been quite a good scene and helped to explain the whole situation, but instead it had most people scratching their heads going "what is this crap"? The potential was there in the 2nd film, but the messed it up and after that scene it was rubbish from there.

The Big Red One (1980) -- small-scale, low-budget WW II action yarn I hadn't seen since it came out, circa 1981. Well done for its scale. I cried at the end, just like I did when I was 13.

Easily one of my favorite war films.

7/10.

Not a movie, but i tried to watch the first episode of Penny Dreadful.

I really had hoped that Eva Green would finally have a great role. But this series seems cheap and poorly-thought through.

the wolf on wall street (2013), what about bob (1991), and about time (2013)

So wolf on wall street was very good and entertaining, it dragged out a little bit at the end but hey, maybe about 82/100.

What about bob is a pretty straightforward bill murray movie, I'd seen at least the vast majority of it before on tv at some point in time, and really just watched it while looking at some other things (didn't devote full attention). It's ok. 5.8/10.

about time (2013) drags on way too much (or at the very least, it tries to be too sappy). It has its (funny) moments, so I'll slap a generic 6/10 on it. A good chunk of it is delightful, but that's because I am a sap for the subject matter (time travel romcom).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom