What Movies Have You Watched? 17: Blowed Up Real Good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Inglorious Basterds was my first Tarantino and is still his best. On the matter of language, the French characters speak French, the Germans speak German, and the Americans pretend to speak Italian.

There's also English in there somewhere.

I'll also have to look up why the silent movies were silent. They played music along with it, so it was possible to record stuff before and play it along with the movie. I guess recording the whole movie could have been a problem, but a narrator should have been possible, no?
Depends how old you're looking. Commercially viable, theatre-quality synchronized sound only emerged in the 1920s; prior to then the soundtrack would be performed by a live band, sometimes improvised. What you hear in modern copies of films like The Gold Rush isn't necessarily what was played to audiences at the time; Man with a Movie Camera alone has been screened with over 20 different soundtracks, and that's AFTER 1983!

Friday: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. We approve. Much nicer design aesthetic than Black Widow (sorry, Scarlett) and the tipping of hats to Jackie Chan movies and Crouching Tiger were also nice touches. Also Michelle Yeoh.

Yesterday: Red Notice. As previous posters have noted, this was utter nonsense, but still very entertaining. Definitely meant to be a spoof of heist/action movies, rather than a serious attempt at one, with lampshades galore.

(My favourite moment was when they broke into the Nazi treasure vault: my wife said, "Ooh, now they're doing Indiana Jones!" -- and less than 2 seconds later, Reynolds' character began whistling the theme tune)

Today I've first tried Dynasty Warriors, and after roughly 30 min I checked the wiki entry, and apparently a critic noted that the story is pretty much incomprehensible if you don't know the games. So... good... it wasn't me, so I stopped there. Then I watched Crank 2, which I also shouldn't have done. The first one is an action must-see, but the second one shouldn't have been made. The first is at least somewhat creative and fun, whereas the second doesn't have any of that, and just chucks in more obscenity and violence, to a level which isn't entertaining. Do NOT watch.

Soldier Boy on Amazon.

Russian film about a 6 year old soldier.

It's a tear jerker. Haven't cried since mum died in 2018. Still haven't but it's so sad.

the Girl with Dragon tattoo . Dexter was nothing like this ; and not all the perverts talk in Bible things .

What the crap did you just say.
I didn't stutter.
Forgive him, Father, for he has sinned.

Watch five Escape From New Yorks, and three Big Trouble In Little Chinas, and may God have mercy on your immortal soul.
I saw both of those, way more than five times apiece, but that's just it, that all there is for him*... so like I said, he's just not on The Governator and Stallone's level.

*I mean I guess there's Overboard, which... by today's standards... eww.

I saw both of those, way more than five times apiece, but that's just it, that all there is for him*... so like I said, he's just not on The Governator and Stallone's level.
I would beg to differ. He's done multiple other actioners (in addition to The Thing, which I thought of more as horror). Here's a few you might have seen...
Tequila Sunrise
(1988)
Tango & Cash
(1989)
Backdraft (1991)
Tombstone (1993)
Stargate (1994)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)

I realise I have merged Kurt Russel and Jeff Bridges in my mind! I thought they "both" were in Tron.

I realise I have merged Kurt Russel and Jeff Bridges in my mind! I thought they "both" were in Tron.

I sentence you to watching Jeff's dad, Lloyd. Go watch High Noon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom