What Mythology is Subjectively Better

attackfighter

Emperor
During a foray into the land of haughty scholars, otherwise known as the history section of this forum, I posed a similar question and was verbosely rebuked by claims that culture could not be objectively judged. Now I come to this arena of similarly verbose dispute to put forth this somewhat similar inquiry, "What mythology is your favorite?"

Aye, this is a question that has plagued mankind for ages. Whether sirens and centaurs measure up to damsels in white gowns and ironclad knights is something determined by our subconscious. No doubt there is no clear cut answer, but that does not mean you cannot answer. So then, what is your contribution? Perhaps you might familiar variety, such as sirens or knights, or perhaps you might settle with something a little more ethnic. Does Zimbabwe have any great mythology we could look at?

The rule, though, is that if you choose something no one else is likely to know anything about, then you must also cite source material, so that we might all read up on and judge the subject ourselves.

Celtic / Arthurian fairy stories.

They rule because the fairies are these naked displays of our own emotional selves.

Their stories are great because the fairies have all these weird rules you have to follow. As long as you, you're fine, but eventually everyone breaks the rules and pays for it.

Yeah, subjectively and objectively, Greek mythology is better.

If it ain't got Luthien and Beren, it sucks.

That said, I'm pretty fond of dead green guys and others folks with animal heads.

Yeah, subjectively and objectively, Greek mythology is better.
Well, it's probably the mythology most Westerners are familiar with, even though some parts may be more well-known by the Roman counterpart (ie. Cupid on Valentine's Day instead of Eros).

And certainly the Greek gods in the Xena/Hercules series are interesting (not to mention Ares was very nice to look at :mischief:).

But I'm curious as to why you say the Greek mythology is objectively better. What did/does it accomplish better than others, or what beneficial thing did/does it do that other mythologies did not?

Star Trek.
The in-universe mythology or overall? 'Cause as more and more people involved with the Original Series die or write their memoirs, more and more dirty laundry gets aired. Turn out that the Great Bird of the Galaxy (aka Gene Roddenberry) had some very sad and ugly secrets that tarnish his place in the mythos. :(

Well...

Matthew 26:53 said:
Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?

Still, though, from a purely mythological (not a mythology of course, but that's not really the subject of this thread) view, Christianity is kinda boring compared to others.

I have a crush on Greek one but objectively Greek gods get their butt handed to them by the Indian ones anytime.

At least the greek gods don't look like mutants/ human-insect-elephant hybrids :)
Medusa, centaurus, cyclops? But to be fair Mother Kali to which you seem to refer here is supposedly golden being. The terifying aspect she puts on only when she kills the hostiles.

And didn't Hercules actually campaign all the way up to India?
I dont know, I think I should try to become more familiar with it.

The Brothers Grimm.

Yeah. Peas and princesses. And geese. And foxes. And dogs with eyes as big as saucepan lids.

Medusa, centaurus, cyclops? But to be fair Mother Kali to which you seem to refer here is supposedly golden being. The terifying aspect she puts on only when she kills the hostiles.

I dont know, I think I should try to become more familiar with it.

Technically those aren't gods, though. Polyphemus was (afaik) the only Cyclops related to a god (Poseidon). The centaurs were maybe immortal, but not really gods in any other manner. The gorgones likely are the most powerful in those groups you noted, given from the myth of Perseas it seems that not even the olympian help could kill the remaining two Gorgones (but they were immortal anyway, unlike the Medusa) ;)

Only Pan was a minor deity and had the lower half body of an animal (goat). Although i think the 'real form' of some of the gods was argued to be rather scarier, or at least far more dangerous (Pure lighting for Zeus, which killed a girl who asked him to be seen in his real form).

The Ecatoncheirae (100-handed giants), Typhon (worst monster of Greek mythology) and Chimera (his dragon-shaped wife) weren't deemed as gods either (and neither their offspring such as the Lernaea Hydra, the Nemean Lion, the immortal dragon Ladon etc), although Titans were a fallen order so they likely used to be deemed as gods as long as they still could leave the Tartara.

Top Bottom