1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

What new civs would you like to see added in an expansion pack?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Oivind, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Oivind

Oivind Chieftain

As this game is probably going to be a bestseller we can be quite certain that there will be an expasion pack. If so, what Civs would you like to see added and why does that civ deserve to be in the game?

LET THE DEBATE BEGIN!

2. Oivind

Oivind Chieftain

I would like a Norse civilization. Cultural and philosophical maybe? ;P

3. Elindil

Elindil Chieftain

Norsmen rule :D

4. Elindil

Elindil Chieftain

and as far as i know they were primely traders so some bonus to go with that

and the they got to have some combat bonus to :)

5. Sayounara

Sayounara Chieftain

-Scandanavia
    -BABYLON (can't believe they were left out in the first place)
    -Iroquoius
    -Maya
    -Dutch
    -Portuguese
    -Ottomen
    -Zululand (I want another African civ)

6. Equisilus

Equisilus Unlikely

Have to say, I'm not all that interested in additional civs. Afterall, there's not a lot of difference in the way the different civs play to change my overall gameplay experience to a great extent (this is in my limited experience, of course).

I'd much rather an expansion focus on new buildings, extend technologies beyond 'Future Tech', new terrain and resource types, new units for all current civs, and add additional features (like the ability to migrate population between cities). Those would add a lot more to the game than civs would.

7. Xen

Xen Magister

Ethiopia!- Great civ choice for the following reasons

1)Its in Africa
    2)Through most of its history it been a major regional power in terms of trade, military might, and culture
    3)Its got hundreds of leaders spanning its history, including several of the ever precious female rulers that firaxis likes to put in
    4)It well known, in todays world mainlly for drought and poverty, but including it in a game like civ is the perfect way to enlighten people to the past of what really is a country with a magnificent history

Byzantium- the great Orthidox nation of eastern europe, one fo the major preservers of classical thougth and wisdom to be restored to the western world, fully diserves to be main civ, rather then a minor inclusion in the middle ages scenario

8. SPQR300

SPQR300 Deity

Turkey with better siege units. (cannon with 2 movoment points for example)

9. Seanirl

Seanirl U-Boat Commander

The Celts! The Celts! and The Celts! :mischief:

They were even one of the best civs in CivIII because of the agricultural trait...

Now I would perhaps suggest Aggresive and Spiritual. That sounds about right.

10. Oivind

Oivind Chieftain

Yes, financial would be a good trait for the norse maybe expasionist/militaristic too

11. Oivind

Oivind Chieftain

I would not want the Dutch they have a history so similar to the French an English and they dont have the bite of the norsmen...

12. dh_epic

dh_epic Cold War Veteran

Ethiopia/Abyssinia is the only country to resist European colonization. Which is more than even China or India can say. They're near the top of the list, along with the Turks/Ottomans. Can't ignore Scandinavia too long, as well as the Portugese and Dutch for their role in colonization. I'd add the Phonecians in there for their role in early civilization, but also the height of their empire which stretched from Lebanon to Carthage. And after all that, the Mayans and Celts would fit.

So, if I had to choose 8:

1. Turkish
    2. Abyssinian
    3. Scandinavian (Nautical)
    4. Portugese (Nautical)
    5. Dutch (Nautical)
    6. Phonecian (Nautical)
    7. Mayan
    8. Celts

As you can see, 4 of those civilizations are famous for their use of water for exploration and/or trade. Could be a good opportunity to add a new trait, and shuffle around some of the old ones so you can still have roughly unique civ choices.

13. Seanirl

Seanirl U-Boat Commander

The Celtic leader could be Brian Boru or William Wallace. Or hey... both of them :mischief: In fact, just put Mel Gibson as their leader and we'll be set.

14. King Flevance

King Flevance Chieftain

-Norse (Agg/Exp)
    -Aussie (Fin/Exp)
    -Polish (Ind/Org)
    -Mayans (Agg/Cre) Imagine that, conquer and city expands :D
    -Zulu (Agg/Spi)
    -Native American tribe
    -Someone that is (Phi/Ind) :D

15. CrazyMrLeo

CrazyMrLeo Wild Child

Babylonians - No brainer
    Turks - likewise
    Norse - Fun Factor
    Byzantines - They're already in a scenario, might as go all the way
    Maya - Mesoamerica is always cool
    Khmers - Southeast Asia is always unrepresented in Civ. If you have Angkor Wat in the game, you might as well have the people who built it.
    Thai - To go along with the Khmers
    Ethiopians - Xen's post essentially sums it up
    Dutch - As evil and reviled as eurocentricity is, The Netherlands deserve a spot in game
    Portuguese - See above
    Koreans - Another east asian power would be nice, and it makes sense from a sales point of view.
    Brazilians - If America is in, other post-colonial civs deserve a spot as well, and Brazil's the next best choice.
    Carthaginians - Who doesn't want to recreate the Punic wars?
    Hawaiians - Yeah, Hawai'i didn't have a huge impact on world affairs, but it's different, it fills up an empty area of the map, and I think it'd be fun to play as.
    Iroquois - Can't forget the Native Americans. The Iroquois Confederacy is the closest thing to a state you could hope to find in pre-Columbian North America. If they were good enough for Civ 3, they're good enough for C-IV.

16. Undertaker798

Undertaker798 I studied on killin' you!

Gaulish Tribes

17. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ

There are many worthy civs that could be included. The beauty of Civ 4 is that apparently it will be easy to mod in these things.
    My vote is for the Vietnamese. South-East Asia is not represented in the game right now. They have a fascinating history having defeated their powerful neighbours the Chinese on many occasions. They defeated a huge Mongol army as well. They also defeated the French, Americans and Chinese in the 20th century. Having soundly defeated four civs that are currently in the game has to give them strong consideration at least. Just my two cents anyway. It really is a wonderful game. ;) Kudos to Sid Meir. ^^

18. BearMan

BearMan One More Turn...

I would like any firaxian to start a poll here at civfanatics with all the possible expansion packs civs, and then they pick the top X winners, where X is the number of civs they will include in the expansion.
    If that is not possible, I will start a poll when the time is right, and hopefully
    some firaxian will read it and take it into account ;).

19. pris

pris Chieftain

none im still trying to do the tutorial

20. Sayounara

Sayounara Chieftain

lol I never got through the first 10 messages of the tutorial it was so boring.

Yes... the Koreons too, I want them in.