What new wonders would you like to see in civ VII?

Ranger0001

Chieftain
I've been thinking about what wonders should be added a lot lately. And do you think wonders should work another way/what changes would you like to see to them?

Personally I think we need to see way more non-European wonders, mainly African and Native American. I think there were way too many European ones. I'm not sure exactly which ones I want though I think there needs to be a larger African focus. I wouldn't mind some more Indian and Arab ones as well. I also could see using older ones in favor of the oddly large amount from recentish times we have and would prefer less new ones.

It's hard to come up with many Native American world wonders but here's several I could think of of the top of my head if they aren't associated with a city-state:
Mesa Verde or Chaco Canyon
Cahokia Mounds

Also it's not Native American but I'd like to see Mt. Rushmore.

I Suppose you meant Architectural Wonders, in that case I would like to see (From Africa):
- Karnak or Valley of the Kings (Egypt - alongside the Pyramid I mean)
- Bete Giyorgis (Ethiopia - not as a Unique Improvement)
- Great Mosque of Djenne (Mali - taking the place of University (or actually Madrasa) of Sankore)
- Hassan II Mosque or Chefchaouen (the Blue Pearl) or Ait Ben Haddou (More Desert Wonders!) (Morocco)
- African Renaissance Monument (Senegal) or Reunification Monument (Cameroon) *
(*) more late Game wonders from non european/american Countries

As buildable Wonders from Africa, and for Natural Wonders I would like to have:
- The Nile (why isn't it already in the Game?)
- Underwater Waterfall, Mauritius
- The Blyde River Canyon (Imagine Grand Canyon with Green Vegetation - would be cool if both are in the Game)
- Aldabra
- Dallol Hot Springs and Geysers
- Mount Nyiragongo
- Amguid Crater

Huaca del Sol. Largest man made structure in the Americas when the Spanish arrived.

Here are some good names for African wonders that have never been in the game:

Abu Simbel
The Rock-hewn Churches of Lalibela
Fasil Ghebbi
University of al-Qarawiyyin
Hassan Tower
Royal Mausoleum of Mauretania
Ketchaoua Mosque
Hassan II Mosque
Kano Walls
Palácio de Ferro

On the manmade wonder side, I'd like to see the addition of Registan, Naqsh-e Rustam, Gyeongbokgung, the Rock-hewn Churches of Lalibela, and of course the return of Notre Dame (whose absence in Civ6 is appalling).

On the natural side, I really, really want Mt. Ararat. As my favorite place in the world, I'd like to see Crater Lake again. I'd like to see either Grand Prismatic Spring (or a broader Yellowstone). And even though it's niche I'd affectionately like to see Meteor Crater again. If we don't see Crater Lake and Meteor Crater, Pingualuk Lake in Canada would also be interesting. Depending on definitions, Denali is one of the highest mountains in the world, making it a little surprising it hasn't been featured yet. Finally, we've never had a forest natural wonder, and I propose the Cedars of God.

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but just thought off a cool idea that would probably be annoying AF: What if, in a civilization that has appauling culture output, there is a chance to spawn horrendous 'wonders' (AKA famous eyesores). Being the lowest culture producer in the contemporary age yields the WalkieTalkie Building (20 Fenchurch Street), or any example of brutalism (WHY!? WHO CAME UP WITH THAT!?). Problem with this idea is that I can't think of any ugly ancient buildings for the ancient era winner of lowest culture output.

Manmade Wonders, focusing on Native American and African as suggested but including some others as well:

Cliff Palace (Puebloan, Medieval, someone already mentioned Mesa Verde but that's more a region where wonders are found)
Axum Obliesk (Ethiopian, Classical)
Kutubiyya Mosque (Morocco, Medieval)
Kremlin (Russian, Renaissance - and don't confuse it with St. Basil's Cathedral this time)
Djinguereber Mosque (Mali, Medieval)
Bo-Kaap (South Africa, Industrial)
Kowloon Walled City (Hong Kong/China, Modern - this one's kind of an anti-wonder lol, but it has a pretty iconic status in certain circles)
Ajanta Caves (India, Classical)
Habitat 67 (Canada, Modern/Atomic but I think those eras should be merged anyway)
Palast der Republik (Germany, Modern/Atomic, ditto)
Eden Project (England, Information)
Uffington White Horse ("Celtic" I guess, but located in present day England, Ancient/Classical)
Shaolin Monastry (China, Medieval)

Last edited:
Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but just thought off a cool idea that would probably be annoying AF: What if, in a civilization that has appauling culture output, there is a chance to spawn horrendous 'wonders' (AKA famous eyesores). Being the lowest culture producer in the contemporary age yields the WalkieTalkie Building (20 Fenchurch Street), or any example of brutalism (WHY!? WHO CAME UP WITH THAT!?). Problem with this idea is that I can't think of any ugly ancient buildings for the ancient era winner of lowest culture output.
Yeah my mind literally just went to a Berlin Wall spawning in the middle of one of your cities. :shifty:

As for Ancient Era, the only thing I could think of is the Tower of Babel. :mischief:

Uffington White Horse ("Celtic" I guess, but located in present day England, Ancient/Classical)
Pre-Celtic, as are Stonehenge, Tara, Newgrange, etc.

Pre-Celtic, as are Stonehenge, Tara, Newgrange, etc.
I was actually unsure as to wherever the White Horse was pre-Celtic or not, but it doesn't seem 100% clear either way due to the lack of exact dates on either its creation or the Celticization of Britain, although it leans pre-Celtic but in any case it isn't particularly important since I was just listing culture/location due to the OP suggestion. Ironically the other wonder I listed from England is in Cornwall, so someone could argue that's Celtic despite it being built in the early 2000s

I really should have made the Kowloon Walled City suggestion a reply to this

also unrelated but Bo-Kaap is at the top of my wishlist jsyk

I was actually unsure as to wherever the White Horse was pre-Celtic or not, but it doesn't seem 100% clear either way due to the lack of exact dates on either its creation or the Celticization of Britain, although it leans pre-Celtic but in any case it isn't particularly important since I was just listing culture/location due to the OP suggestion. Ironically the other wonder I listed from England is in Cornwall, so someone could argue that's Celtic despite it being built in the early 2000s
Yeah, the latest date given on Wikipedia for the Uffington White Horse is definitely borderline for the earliest dates I've seen for the Celts arrival in Britain so it's possible--but the Bronze Age people who preceded the Celts seem to have really liked their monumental architecture while the Celts did not so much so I'd lean towards pre-Celtic.

Yeah, the latest date given on Wikipedia for the Uffington White Horse is definitely borderline for the earliest dates I've seen for the Celts arrival in Britain so it's possible--but the Bronze Age people who preceded the Celts seem to have really liked their monumental architecture while the Celts did not so much so I'd lean towards pre-Celtic.

There seems to have been a long history of Monument Building throughout northwestern and central Europe (and as far south as Sardinia and Malta in the Mediterranean) long before the Celts. The surviving examples include stone circles, cromlechs, dolmens, barrows, 'carnak stones', as well as 'woodhenges' used as calendrical constructions in both the British Isles and Germany. The chalk works like the Uffington Horse I think have to be considered part of this tradition rather than the start of a new Celtic one - which is not represented in any later Celtic societies. What is intriguing is that dolmens and cromlech-like structures are also found as far east as the Ukraine and the Caucasus, and they are similar to stone tombs, dolmens and circles in western Europe, and all of them date back to 3000 BCE and earlier, so the 'monumental' tradition predates even the Indo-European migrations into Europe or the earliest Proto-Indo-European speakers on the steppes, let alone the rise of any identifiable Celtic group.

There seems to have been a long history of Monument Building throughout northwestern and central Europe (and as far south as Sardinia and Malta in the Mediterranean) long before the Celts. The surviving examples include stone circles, cromlechs, dolmens, barrows, 'carnak stones', as well as 'woodhenges' used as calendrical constructions in both the British Isles and Germany. The chalk works like the Uffington Horse I think have to be considered part of this tradition rather than the start of a new Celtic one - which is not represented in any later Celtic societies. What is intriguing is that dolmens and cromlech-like structures are also found as far east as the Ukraine and the Caucasus, and they are similar to stone tombs, dolmens and circles in western Europe, and all of them date back to 3000 BCE and earlier, so the 'monumental' tradition predates even the Indo-European migrations into Europe or the earliest Proto-Indo-European speakers on the steppes, let alone the rise of any identifiable Celtic group.
I've read some speculation that all of the Megalith Building cultures from Turkey to Great Britain represent a singular cultural tradition, though I think that's perhaps a precipitous conclusion. Nevertheless, I agree that the dolmens, standing stones, passage tombs, and so forth in France, Germany, and the British Isles are best regarded as reflecting a single pre-Indo-European culture.

I've read some speculation that all of the Megalith Building cultures from Turkey to Great Britain represent a singular cultural tradition, though I think that's perhaps a precipitous conclusion. Nevertheless, I agree that the dolmens, standing stones, passage tombs, and so forth in France, Germany, and the British Isles are best regarded as reflecting a single pre-Indo-European culture.

Look up the Dolmens of the North Caucasus and the Cromlech of Novoaleksandrovke in the Ukraine: both stone monuments closely resembling those of northwestern Europe and pre-dating Stonehenge (3500 - 3000 BCE) - I agree that a 'singular cultural tradition' is a bit much, because the monument building covers a range of cultures from pastoral to agricultural and from the Caucasus all the way across Europe and Anatolia to the British Isles

I'd love to see more universities in the game... it's always annoying when you get both Oxford and Sancor snatched away from you....

Mesa Verde would be interesting as a natural wonder, could give bonus food if you farm it, bonus culture if you settle it or bonus appeal if you leave it alone.

I'd like to see a sort of route as a wonder. Like the Great Ocean road, can only be built on breath-taking tiles give you bonus culture when you lose a unit and gives tourism based on the tiles appeal.

Glacier Bay too, the glacier could expand and retract as the game goes along.

Top Bottom