what % of the time ar eyou at war?

I try to keep my wars short and sweet. Prepare. Attack. Peace. Repeat as necessary until the bad guys, (usually the Hated Babs in my games), are reduced to mere shadows of their former selves!

I like to plan war carefully, preparing and positioning my forces. Identifying the cities I plan on taking, the resources I will deny my enemies, possible allies, etc. When the time is right, I strike. Once my objectives are met, I sue for peace. This gives me time to consolidate my gains, reinforce the front lines, and begin the process anew by preparing forces for the next war.

So.....I spend times of peace preparing for times of war, and times of war preparing for times of peace. Simple, and usually rewarding.

Originally posted by SteveLS
I try to keep my wars short and sweet. Prepare. Attack. Peace. Repeat as necessary until the bad guys, (usually the Hated Babs in my games), are reduced to mere shadows of their former selves!

I like to plan war carefully, preparing and positioning my forces. Identifying the cities I plan on taking, the resources I will deny my enemies, possible allies, etc. When the time is right, I strike. Once my objectives are met, I sue for peace. This gives me time to consolidate my gains, reinforce the front lines, and begin the process anew by preparing forces for the next war.

So.....I spend times of peace preparing for times of war, and times of war preparing for times of peace. Simple, and usually rewarding.
oh so do I but sometimes the other civs just want nothing but war and I have to humor them or QUICKLY CRUSH THEM VIOLENTLY!
when I go to war its usually a huge thing Involving everyone I know!

--------------------------------->
oh so do I but sometimes the other civs just want nothing but war and I have to humor them
---------------------------------------------------------------->

I had a game with no wars into the 1370's. I've also had games where it's one war after another. As so many people have said - it depends on the game. 10%-50% sounds like the range I have seen.

Probably about 35% of the time. I usually spend the better part of the ancient/middle ages in a constant state of war.

If you are talking about the world as a whole then I would say about 70% most of the time.

If you are talking about the Civ under my control.... it used to be about 30% but lately its more like 50% or more (can't resist.....must crush them..... ;) ) And of course most of the war is started by MPP (gotta love them :D )

In fact, most of my recent games the war starts when I have knight and continue until I have tank !! :lol: Once it actually extended until I have modern armor :cooool:

currently 100% due to the civ im playing

im always after someone, i keep after em till i can extort some tech/gold and workers of them, then once the peace treaties signed i back of to let em recover and go pick on someone else (my nieghbours really luv me)

during this im also constantly expanding into areas vacated by razed cities

typically i go after captols first as it resets their culture when razed or taken (i think it does anyway, anyone verify this?)

constant warfare cripples the other civs and gives me the chance to get ahead tech/culture/population wise

course this is an extreme approach determined by what civ im playing (militaristic ones at the moment) and im currently trying to conquer before the start or end of middle ages

using this approach im relying on the civs wasting resources fighting me to gradually allow my constant trickle of settlers/gold/science/culture to overtake and then dominate everything else (or achieve the land mass needed to win or destruction of all the other civs)

does take a hell of lot of micromanagement though as im despotic so you need to check yer cities for growth rates and when its time to pop rush all the time (as im on huge maps)

About 95% of the time I'd say. There are 2 reasons why I wouldn't be at war with someone:

1. I want to move my armies as close to my enemy as possible, so when a war breaks out I will have 4-5 of their cities in 2-3 turns.

2. I exterminated all civs and have not made contact with more :D

My last couple of games that I have played, I have avoided war for very long periods. In fact in one game, I never had a war until 2000 AD, and to my knowledge none of the other civs had fought either. There are no map changes for thousands of years.

80%ish, maybe more. If I am not AT war I'm usually preparing for one.

I try to strike my big objective Civs in successive wars. Grab a few cities, negotiate peace for a few obscure to capture ones, restock my units, and charge in again.

When I have none of those going on, I like to pick on smaller Civs to get them out of the 'current' Civ list, just to make my foreign advisor screen easier. I'm not sure if that has been a good strategy, because it has allowed other nations to expand on their old territory and threaten my dominance, and I have less trading partners.

Probably only about 5% of the time, if I'm playing my usual style. I generally prefer to only fight defensive wars, and even then usually find it more convenient to pay someone to fight for me while I'm at war in name only.

I generally choose from two types of play for each game. In one, I try to stay out of war and build the wonders. In the other, I make sure nearly everyone is at war at all times. Generally, this depends on whether I am playing a militaristic civ. Also, if I want to experiment with certain units, I cause wars to slow down the tech advancement so that I have more time to experiment.

Infanta:

" typically i go after captols first as it resets their culture when razed or taken (i think it does anyway, anyone verify this?) "

I'm not sure what you mean by 'reset', but from what I've observed, the civ that loses it's capitol, loses whatever per-turn culture it was getting from that one city. All the culture points previously accumulated remain. It's remaining cities continue accumulating culture points. This can be seen in the histograph display.

I am always at war, that is the idea of the game. I might only be engaged in combat 25% of the time. War and combat are not the same thing. War is gaining an advantage over your enemy, eventually leading to his destruction, combat is only one part of doing this.

Quite often - around 60-70% of the time on average, stop every now and then after I have wiped out a civilization encroaching on my territory. Those buggers ask for it - sometimes I would like to build up in peace but generally it's kill or be killed I find...

Top Bottom