1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What other cultures would you like to see in the first three eras of Humankind?

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by Krajzen, Jun 21, 2020.

?

What cultures would you like in ancient, classical, medieval?

1. Sumer (Ancient)

18 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. Arameans (Ancient or Classical)

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  3. Hebrews (Ancient or Classical)

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  4. Armenians (any era)

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  5. Yemen (any era)

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. Etruscans (Ancient)

15 vote(s)
    48.4%
  7. Dacians (Classical)

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  8. Scythians (Classical)

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  9. Moors (Medieval)

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  10. Medieval Spain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Medieval Italians

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  12. Medieval Hungary or Bohemia

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  13. Bulgaria (Medieval)

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  14. Kievan Rus (Medieval)

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  15. Turks (Medieval)

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  16. Swahilli (Medieval)

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  17. Medieval Persian culture

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  18. Medieval Indian culture

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  19. Han Dynasty (Classical)

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  20. Tang Dynasty (Medieval)

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  21. Song Dynasty (Medieval)

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  22. Classical or medieval Korea

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  23. Classical or medieval Japan

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  24. Medieval Vietnam, Burma or Siam

5 vote(s)
    16.1%
  25. Medieval Indonesian culture

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  26. Any Nigerian early civilization

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  27. Caral (Andes, ancient)

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  28. Moche (Andes, classical)

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  29. Inca (Andes, medieval)

23 vote(s)
    74.2%
  30. Missisipi or Pueblo (medieval)

16 vote(s)
    51.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Title. Second poll would be for the second half of eras.
    Limited amount of choices to 10, to create priorities.

I have voted for
    - Armenians, very cool culture and fit any era (well you'd have to remake them Urartu to fit ancient era)
    - Etruscans, to create second European culture for the first era - yeah that's a bit far fetched, but only a bit more than Phoenicians being contemporaries of Harappa :p
    - Moors, Kievan Rus and Indonesian Culture for medieval, to represent certain Geographic extremes
    - Han Dynasty because it was basically counterpart of Roman empire and its unfair that India gets Maurya in this era
    - Nigerian culture in any era (this part of Africa is almost the only one remaining for first two eras anyway)
    - Three Andean civs for three eras are necessity

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    BuchiTaton likes this.
  2. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I'd love to see Humankind take the opportunity to include some cultures that are unlikely to make it to Civ, like the Mississippians, Aramaeans (or Chaldeans or Amorites), Etruscans, Elamites, and Urartu. I'd also like to see Classical Han and Medieval Tang, plus a Medieval Korean kingdom. As for Classical Eastern Europe, I think the Illyrians make more sense than the Dacians personally.

3. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

I voted for:
    Sumer, the cradle of civilization.
    Hebrews and Armenia early centers of religion. Not sure if it would be controversial though. Same for Tibet.
    Han, because it is weird that the only China culture we've had is the Zhou in ancient.
    Medieval Vietnam, Siam, or Burma and Indonesia. It would be nice to have more SE Asia cultures and I'm afraid only the Khmer and modern Vietnam will make it.
    Inca because they are the Inca.
    Having a medieval NA tribe would be nice. I like the Pueblo and I'm assuming it would be okay because they don't actually use real leaders.

I also want to throw out the Minoans as another ancient European culture, who I would have personally picked over the Myceneans.

BuchiTaton and Zaarin like this.
  4. BuchiTaton

BuchiTaton Warlord

Some ideas that could work:

- SABAEANS (ancient): Linked to Arabic and Ethiopian cultures.
    - NOK (classical): Little know, but is a interesting option as forerunner of a huge part of african cultures.
    - BALTS (medieval): Alternatively could be named Lithuanians. Would be great to fight back Teutons and become Polish on early modern.
    - TIBETANS (medieval): Could be named Tufans if chinese censorship is a problem.
    - CHOLAS (medieval): Or broadly Tamils. The best option to represent both medieval India and the dravidians cultures.

Classical Moches and Medieval Inca are also a must, but I would love to also have classical Zapotecs.
    About South East Asia Khmer are OK for medieval, Burma could be Early Modern and Siam Industrial. I count Indonesia separated so Majapahit for medieval, Malays for Early Modern and maybe Filipinos for Industrial?

Certainly the most difficult era to choose is Medieval, some regions certainly must be medieval the Berbers, Georgians, Khazars, Swahili, etc.

Akan (Ashanti), Yoruba (Oyo) and Kanuri (Kanembu) could be early modern, but Songhay need to be medieval.

About Hungary, there are not real reasons to choose between Magyars/Hungarians and Bohemians. Medieval Magyars/Hungarians are of more relevance and more unique than medieval Bohemians, if Bohemians are supposed to include the Great Moravia then they have more reasons, but still I see the Hungarians as a better option, considering western Slavs could have their representation on early modern Polish culture. Talking about medieval Slavs, what do you think about "Wends" for western catholic slavs and "Ruthenians" for eastern orthodox slavs? The use of these old fashion umbrella terms was similar to "Teutons", "Franks" (for all catholic western/europeans), "Saracens" or "Huns/Tatar" (for nomadic central asians). Not to forget the classical Celts and Mayans that are in like Teutons.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  5. SagarRathore

SagarRathore Chieftain

Though not in option,I will really love to get Vedic People in the game along with their chariots and militaristic,aesthetic culture.
    Even Mauryan r successor of Vedic Legacy.
    Vedic period in short is very important time in Subcontinent.
    Also I think Gupta period is very important but where will it fit in humankind timeline is a problem.Other Medieval options can be Cholas,Gujara-Pratiharas,Pala,Rashtrakuta etc
    Nd ofcours because of Indo-Aryan bias,I have special interest in Mitanni Kingdom also.
    In China,I think Han & Tang r very important.At least we should get one,though I won't mind both.Though I find Tang period very interesting with Chinese golden age.
    Other than that Armenians,Sumeria,Medieval Indonesia,Etruscans,Tibet sounds good.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Zaarin likes this.
  6. KnightModern

KnightModern Warlord

Han dynasty definitely a must for future expansion, and since we have phoenician -> chartage already, zhou -> han shouldn't be a problem

for Medieval "Indonesia", I actually prefer Srivijaya for Medieval culture, Majapahit for early modern since they're more suitable to be considered as "renaissance/early modern era" empire rather than medieval

I prefer them not to use "javanese" & "malay" for gameplay sake, since malay & javanese were basically "same era" culture, despite malay "transformation" during early modern era

unless devs want to include both "javanese" & "malay", then yeah, both should be in the same era

edit: if there's only one spot for Indonesia, I prefer "malay"/srivijaya, more suited toward medieval era, and malay was lingua franca for traders around the archipelago

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    j51 likes this.
  7. notNamed

notNamed Warlord

Why is Vietnam in the same spot as Burma and Siam? That's a bit like having Kievan Rus and medieval Central Asian khanates under the same option.
    Aaaaanyway...
    Han Dynasty is an obvious pick, given its position as the paramount "establisher" of East Asian culture (Zhou caused all the various people to settle in the lands we associate them with today, Han established the script, the court and all around the main points of these cultures and then Tang spread it to the not-so-barbarian barbarians around them).
    Both Classical Korea (Three Kingdoms) and Medieval Korea/Vietnam have some decent merit to them and would be fine if you want to avoid adding Tang/Song in.
    Sinosphere dealt with, the Islamic world comes next and definitely deserves more love than it has right now, Persia deserves more than being the guys who fought Spartans, Turkic people deserve more than appearing out of thin air as Ottomans, India definitely deserves more than recycling the Civ staples of Ancient India and an excuse for Taj Mahal.
    Other than these, Inca are a staple which is the only cultural tradition not even tangentially related to anything else that we haven't covered yet. Mississipians and Rus both being nice choices which mostly get ignored otherwise.

KnightModern and Zaarin like this.
  8. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

For me, it really depends on who's going to make it in in the following eras as well. If Early Modern Italy doesn't make the cut, then medieval Italy would be nice. If we get (a non-pirate based) Morocco in Industrial or Early Modern, I can live without "the Moors," that I would call differently anyway.

If I could add one that's not on your list: the Tibetan Empire.

mitsho likes this.
  9. conorbebe

conorbebe King

For the Ancient Era I’d like to see the Caral / Norte Chico Civilization, as an Agrarian culture. Finding an Emblematic Unit would be difficult, but you could always go with some generic Andean weaponry, or perhaps a fishing/naval unit. The Emblematic Quarter could be the shicra pyramid.

I’d also like to see Sumer, considering they are likely the earliest civilisation in human history and I feel like it would be wrong not to include them, despite their similarities to Assyria and Babylonia. They could be another Builder culture, with the war wagon as their EU, and the ziggurat as their EQ.

Not included on your list are the Minoans, who I’d too enjoy playing as in the Ancient Era, with labrys axemen and the anaktora.

Also not mentioned, but I’d like to see the Nabataeans in the Classical Era as a Merchant or Builder culture. Camel cavalry as their EU and rock-cut tombs as their EQ.

I’ll reserve my Medieval Era picks until after all 10 of the cultures have been revealed.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    j51, Guandao, Zaarin and 2 others like this.
  10. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

I'd definitely have voted for the Minoans if they were on the list, but instead picked the Etruscans. I'd also have voted for the Abbasids now that we know it's the Umayyads that are in. If there can be both the expansionist Franks and Teutons, they same can be said for scientist Umayyads and Abbasids.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    conorbebe and Zaarin like this.
  11. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Also, not enough people have voted for the Tang. Get on that!

Hawke9, Jkchart and Zaarin like this.
  12. Alexander's Hetaroi

So medieval Spain did get in with the Ummayads right? :mischief:

Jkchart, j51 and Siptah like this.
  13. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

because I voted Song instead.

j51 likes this.
  14. j51

j51 Blue Star Cadet

Booooooo! They couldn't even keep half their kingdom! :mischief: (Seriously though, it's a tough choice.)

Siptah likes this.
  15. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

So I picked the following:
    -Hebrews (Ancient or Classical) - they have never really been represented in mainstream 4x strategy and it would be cool to have.
    -Yemen (any era) - I really want Saba or Himyar, would make great Merchant or Agrarian civs. You could do a decent chain based on Yemen/South Arabia.
    -Kievan Rus (Medieval) - Really goes with the theme of cultural blending, with Norse, Slavic, and Byzantine influences in the civ.
    -Turks (Medieval) - Seljuks to Ottomans to Turkey sounds like a great option.
    -Medieval Persian Culture - because Persia/Iran is another one of those civilizations that should have their own entire chain from ancient to modern.
    -Han - because we need a classical China culture and Han is LITERALLY one of the names for Chinese people, if that doesn't scream cultural heritage, idk what does
    -Tang - because they would be a good Medieval china choice.
    -Caral - since we got Olmecs (YAY) we should also get a South American culture chain and we can use less-attested-to cultures with HK
    -Inca - because DUH
    -Mississippi or Pueblo - specifically Mississippi/Cahokia culture, I would love to have them as a North American native faction and create a culture chain for them.

Really, I hope we have a couple hundred cultures plus after DLCs. There's a lot of potential for growth with this game.

j51 and Zaarin like this.
  16. mitsho

mitsho Deity

That's really three threads in one:

For Ancient, I agree that Sumer seems to be the biggest one missing. But I also want to see the Etruscans, Minoans and Hebrews. As well as Troy as an independent nation :)

For Classical, the Han are a prime candidate, and why not have the Yamato? But I definitely want to see "one of the" Hellenistic kingdoms, Seleucids or why not a second "Egypt"? Also, Phrygians? Nabateans would also be cool as proto-Arabs.

For Medieval, the Inca are so obvious, as well as Mali (yes, we can have two similar cultures there - they don't necessarily need to be similar gameplay-wise). Just in general, something non-European fits here as well :)

So, we already see: There will be too many and they will have to do some cuts - even with expansions. Otherwise, the choice will vanish as the chance will rise you will get your preferred culture anyways.

17. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy The Gangster of Love

Hebrews (or Israel, or Judah, or even "Hasmonean Judea") would be my number one choice. Given how consequential their contributions to history have been, their continued exclusion from the Civilization series has been conspicuous, to say the very least. I don't really buy into any conspiracy theories - I think Oswald killed JFK, the Earth is round, and Armstrong landed on the moon - but I am convinced that Epstein didn't kill himself and Firaxis has reasons for excluding an Israel civilization that they aren't being open about.

I voted Inca, but I suspect we'll see them in the next era. Instead of grouping the Aztec, Inca, and Maya altogether in the Age of Exploration (or whatever Humankind calls it) as would be expected, they seem to be spreading them around the timeline to allow players to upgrade the various Mesoamerican civilizations into one another, and thereby remain thematically consistent. I'll certainly do a Mesoamerican playthrough eventually.

Etruscans would help differentiate a Hellenistic playthrough (Mycenaeans -> Greeks -> Byzantines) from a Roman playthrough (Etruscans -> Romans -> Byzantine/Franks/Teutons)

As far as the Mississippi, I don't think we'll see any Amerindian cultures in the base game, but expect we'll see six to twelve as downloadable content or in an expansion pass (possibly less if their cultural lines lead into modern nations in that later eras).

I'd love the Pueblo just to correct their exclusion from Civilization V. Just as I wouldn't want Congress of the President to be given a veto for America's inclusion or depiction in Civilization or Humankind, Firaxis shouldn't have caved to the opinions of a few individuals on a tribal council. They don't own the culture anymore than the American government owns apple pie, baseball, blue jeans, or rock n' roll.

18. Zaarin

Zaarin Chief Medical Officer, DS9

I'd consider them pretty much covered by the Hittites.

It doesn't exactly foster goodwill to deliberately go out of one's way to offend someone's religious sensibilities, especially in a circumstance where that essentially amounts to "kicking them while they're down."

j51 likes this.
  19. Alexander's Hetaroi

Inca's aren't Mesoamerican though. They are considered an Andean culture.
    If anything the Inca should be the Medieval culture in a separate Andean culture path like Norte Chico> Nazca> Inca.

j51 and Zaarin like this.
  20. mitsho

mitsho Deity

That is a distinction not often made by a casual gamer. After all, they use the same skins in Age of Empires II ;-)

See it this way: If we can have 30 strands in that culture tree, then it is absolutely necessary to differentiate the Andes Cultures from the Central American ones. If we only have ten such strands, the Inca are most probably the only representative of the Andes Cultures, so it makes sense to group them in with a larger "Native Central and South American Group" (no offense meant). Just look at how the "African" strand jumps all over the continent, and I do hope we will get (a lot) more variety there eventually.

Debateable, but a defendable opinion. However, me wanting a Troy "city state" is much more about the rule of cool than about actual fair historical representation. And Troy is a special candidate, right there between Myth and Reality. I wouldn't want Atlantis appearing with a special region in the sea, but Troy just might be cool to get.

TheSpaceCowboy and Elhoim like this.