1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What program(s) are you using to mod civ5?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Creation & Customization' started by Kyriakos, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

From my experience with civ3, and my little experience with civ4, i suspect that you could use 3dsmax along with something to place the building in the civ5 map.

I wish it wont take long for these modding mechanisms to become known and usable easily. I also would wish that civ5 can have far more detailed models, since i hate creating anything that is dead simple :)

2. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Windows Explorer and Notepad++ at first.:p When the SDK comes, maybe MS Visual Studio 2008 (or whatever it is the devs are recommending).

3. cyther

cyther Lord of the Dance

I'm gonna stick with notepad++ for most of my work. I'll probably use whatever compiler Firaxis recommends too. Might start up with Blender now. Trying to teach myself how to use that.

4. jaldaen

jaldaen Prince

Notepad++ was awesome for Civ4... I hope it is equally useful for Civ5... ;)

5. Dale

Dale Deity

Notepad, winmerge and visual studio.

6. Olleus

Olleus Deity

/\/\
    As usual, I'm agreeing with Dale.
    Its hard to stress how many days and weeks winmerge can save you when they release a patch.

7. Szpilman

Szpilman Void Co. Chairman

Which reminds me I downloaded WinMerge upon reading Dale's post but forgot to install. Nothing like reading it again.

8. Dale

Dale Deity

Winmerge saved me weeks of time during patch update season. :)

I seriously recommend it to every single one of you, even if you only mod XML files.

9. croxis

croxis Chat room op

Notepad++, bazaar or svn, blender.

10. ArgentumStudios

ArgentumStudios Warlord

As soon as I have the SDK in my hands I'll be using VS2008, Textpad, WinMerge, and SVN for the functional changes and LightWave, ZBrush, and Photoshop for assets.

11. PieceOfMind

PieceOfMind Drill IV Defender Retired Moderator

Hmm, yeah I forgot about winmerge. I hated merging Python with it though. Fiddling with settings to get the handling of whitespace correct was a pain.

12. Zen Blade

Zen Blade Warlord

Can someone describe Winmerge, its functions, and why it is useful during patches, etc...
    --This is the first time I have even heard of it.

13. Olleus

Olleus Deity

It allows you to open to copies of a file and compare them, and copy everything which is in one but not the other over, or highlight the differences between two files, ect..., ect...

Imagine that you edited UnitInfos.xml to make your mod. You changed one xml value for every unit in that file. The developers then patch the game, and the patch changes things all over the place. What you would normally have to do is open both files, and look through every line of the official patch version and copy the changes from your UnitInfos.xml to there's manually. Winmerge does it either completely automatically, or you can use it to highlight all the differences between the files at which point you can tell it to copy one over, or have both one below the other or many useful functions.

14. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

I wonder if nif files will be used again to place the models :)

Also i have come to create a bit simpler models, these for example range from 2000 to 20000 polygons. But even if 5000 polygon models are realistic in civ5 i can recreate such work with not very much noticable difference:

15. Lord Tirian

Lord Tirian Erratic Poster

Eh, considering the scale of Civ models (even in CivIV), you can usually get away with a lot less, as long as you're willing to paint details on the texture (or some fine structures as alpha channel). I'm keeping my building models ~500 polys to keep in line with Firaxis; but really, I don't see the need for considerable more than ~1000-1500 polys, even for the most complex buildings. I'd rather see higher resolution textures! :D

Hence, my tools will be notepad++ (for everything), VS2008, WinMerge, Photoshop/GIMP, Blender (+ anything you need to convert between formats).

Cheers, LT.

16. Kruelgor

Kruelgor Emperor

Yep, I've got Notepad++ sitting on my desktop and waiting for action.

17. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

I will continue to use VS.NET 2008 for all of my modding needs :)

18. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

mmhh...i think i'll setup a sticky until the time the game unlocks with some basic things, like the photoshop .dds plugin, a link to Blender, notepad++, etc (if not someone else does it :mischief:).

19. allypower

allypower Warlord

I'm using blender+maya atm to model my units. I have over 30 models that I plan to use. Most need fixing. All of them need re-coloring as well as animating.

I wonder what to use as for programming. Currrently trying to figure out Visual Studio. I often use notepad for xml editting. Any recommendation?

20. TheLopez

TheLopez Deity

Use visual studio for XML editing as well. As long as you have the schema in the same directory you will get access to intellesense. Its really neat!