1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What race do you play and why?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Davor, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Davor

Davor Prince

What civ do you play and why? I am just over whelmed and I do not know who to choose.

I was going to pick one race, but they don't do any religon so I didn't choose them. That would feel like too much Civ V which I wasn't too impressed me.

So what civ do you guys play and why?

2. Pickly

Pickly Prince

3. Goodwill

Goodwill Warlord

Play them all and have fun and you will learn as you play. Many of them have really unique gameplay, and if you ever want even further uniqueness then check out the mods. But you can't really go wrong your first few times, they,re all fun and powerful in their own ways. I often just set it to random myself. Some of them are more different than others though and require very different thinking. If you want more vanilla to start out with I would recommend Bannoror Ljosofar or Hippus or Lanun off the top of my head. While they are each unique, they encompass many of the common elements of the civs in fall from heaven.

4. Nor'easter

Nor'easter Emperor

I always play a random civ with all random civs as opponents.

5. Annex

Annex Tyranny and Mutation

For me the Mercurians and Infernals have been the most fun to play.

However I agree with Goodwill. If you are new to the game, the Bannor or Hippus would probably be the best choices.

6. Jarrema

Jarrema Master Voter

When I still was new at FfH, I enjoyed Khazads most, because the most complicated aspect of FfH is spelcasting, and Khazads have this aspect of game simplified

7. Breunor

Breunor Deity

Like Noreaster, I recommend trying as many as possible, I think it adds tot he enjoyment of FfH. These Civ's are different and they play with various best strategies, and the game's diversity is a great feature.

Best wisehs,

Breunor

8. Dumanios

Dumanios MLG

Infernals are my favorite mostly because of how fun it is to pwn the whole world when you rush Infernal Pact.

9. kumquatelvis

kumquatelvis Prince

For a new player the vampires (Calabim) are a good race because they feel really different than vanilla Civ.

10. Verdian

Verdian King

I play as the Kuriotates because I like having a few very large cities. I also like the fact that I can change my traits, so I can try different strategies if the civ starts to get stale. Horsemen capable of getting defensive bonuses are a nice treat, too. ;)

11. Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco Callous Calling

Hippus and Elohim. Hippus for Pwnage. Elohim for lots of Great people and extra builder safety!

12. Darkphoenix

Darkphoenix Warlord

Pretty much brand new FFH player here, the games I have played (yet to complete one... but that's just normal for ALL my civ games... :goodjob: ) have been a Calabim (Vampires... there's just something cathartic about eating your own cities), a Grigori game (Heroes rule), and my current game, a Sval... Svarti.... Svartalara... bugger it, the Sinister Elves of Sinisterness. Who kidnap all my... friends... great people.).

Though I am behind in tech and hurting for stacks, and surrounded on all sides by enemies. Even with there only being about 4 squares total where they can get to me (Erebus), they seem to be able to support a lot more units. And they have Iron. I was a couple of turns away from losing when by chance I discovered that a unique feature in my territory gave me the power to instapeaceout with everyone.

I really reccomend Calabim as a first race simply because they feel so different, you know? It wasn't boring at all, although I perhaps got carried away with my feasting...

13. AngelGabriel

AngelGabriel Warlord

I really like necromancer civs. Thus Sheaim and Calabim are the ones I mostly prefer. While Sheaim do have Pyre Zombies, Calabim have vampires - and even though they don't seem to be the classic undead vampire I simply put that aside and acknowledge them as dark, fierce, undead and evil.

If I want total pawnage I like to play elves - which ones doesn't matter. I really don't see any big flaws with the elves - they have health (as they don't need to destroy their forests), they have big cities with lots of production and/ or people growth and the only real drawback are those damn slow laboring workers.

14. Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco Callous Calling

The disadvantage of the Elves is lethargy. High settler and worker cost, long times for elves to work tiles, and lack of good Leader Traits

15. cabbagemeister

cabbagemeister Please wait...

A large majority of FFH races are a blast to play. Better to ask, Which races do you NOT play? Personally, I've never finished a game with the Bannor or Doviello. I'm not a huge fan of the "flood the world with mooks" strategy that characterizes their games.

16. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Follower of Tytalus

Scions of Patria (from the major modmods).

Because it's like... like... like someone designed a civ with all of my preferences in mind.

And because they're so different from the other civs. My liking of a FFH civ pretty much tracks with how different it is from standard play. I tend to alternate between Revolutions DCM - for when I want to maximize a game's challenge - and FFH, when I want something novel. The Illians, with their Ritual-based victory condition, is currently my other favorite. I worked my way through many of the civs, exploring it over many games and then moving on to another. I still occasionally play a completely Lore-centric game as just about any civ, depending on what I'm in the mood for.

A nice thing about FFH is that there's generally a civ (or civ/religion combo) for whatever whim you feel like indulging. I'd say look over the basic 'pedia entries and just go for whatever looks fun at the moment.

Not counting the Scions I've probably played the Svalts (I'm often in the mood for evil sneakiness), Calabim (vamp mechanics and fun lore) and the Khzad (low magic) the most.

17. Jarrema

Jarrema Master Voter

Who can it be??
    :mischief:

18. Robochimp46

Robochimp46 Chieftain

Neutral / Evil civs for me :p
    im not too picky really, i used to like to play good civs but i feel that i have been corrupted with the power that alot of Evil civs (and the Hippus / Grigori) can offer me,
    when i started playing FFH back on vanilla Civ the very first civ i played was the Sheaim and i am still very dedicated to them, yes... their leader traits are the 3 traits i hate most on FFH but i do love the planar gate, and the power the AV has to offer with the Meshabber of Dis (armageddon world unit) as well as a dragon, but like i said put me with a evil civ and im more than happy :p, but as many people have stated for somebody new to FFH the hippus is a nice starting area (if your a military person Tasunkee would be best to play as)

but civs unable to adopt religion (e.g. Illians / Grigori) usually have something to make up for it
    Illians - Get a dragon / hero and Auric Ascended which brings new meaning to the term "really powerful"
    Grigori - can end up with more than 2 / 3 heros

19. badtim

badtim Chieftain

i'm with cabbagemister, doviello and bannor are not really my thing (though my very first game ever was with bannor). amurites and elohim seem a bit underpowered to me, but really? all the civs are good (except doviello, still haven't played them).

my favorite civ seems to always be the one i'm currently playing. it's been grigori for the last two months. just too bad i don't enjoy any of the modmods, since i also think grigori needs more adventurer generation in vanilla. but still good.

20. Breunor

Breunor Deity

Well, the Bannor are my favorties! I love building up to the Crusade. Very hard to do it right, but when you get it ...

Best wishes,

Breunor