What rights (if any) does Animals have ?

Ahovking

Cyber Nations
Im Interested in knowing does Animals have rights if any, and what type of right are they ?
do they have the same rights and we humans have or do that have less or even more ?

Are you drunk ?

Anyway to answer the question seriously, animal rights is a tricky issue because I think most people are not comfortable with torturing and needlessly killing animals but at the same time it's a totally accepted practice to kill them for food or hunt them for sport. It's all a bit hypocritical. I'm definitely not a vegetarian and eat meat pretty much every day so I buy into the hypocrasy myself but I do recognize it as such. I guess one explanation is that eating meat is such a part of our society that it can't really be done away with but we try to minimize the suffering of animals as much as possible.

Depends on the animal. I'm not going to give an ant and an ape the same considerations.

I think humans don't have the moral right to cause unnecessary suffering to animals (based on total cognition levels). What that means for animal rights is up for debate.

Animals don't have rights. But humans don't have the right to do certain things to animals. And that gives animals a small measure of protection under certain circumstances.

"Rights" are not real things that are out there somewhere. Unless you believe in some entity or mystical force that's the ultimate arbiter of them, which I don't. At best, they're statements about what individual or collective behavior is ethical.

A "right" means one of two things:
* You have a reasonable expectation that if you do X, nobody will hinder you
* You have a reasonable expectation that nobody will do X to you

By that standard, of course animals have some rights. If you're cruel to your dog, you may well be hindered.

Animals have rights, in the human sense, related to how close they come to sentience. A dolphin has more 'rights' then a sea cucumber, despite both being alive. A chimp has more 'rights' then the finch that flew right into my window.

Animals have rights, in the human sense, related to how close they come to sentience. A dolphin has more 'rights' then a sea cucumber, despite both being alive. A chimp has more 'rights' then the finch that flew right into my window.

I would say potential rights, not rights per se. They aren't rights unless they are codified somehow.

Sure, rights don't spring out of holes in the ground.

I don't think we have the right to make animals suffer. Animals eat other animals (or at least some do), there's nothing morally wrong with that, but I'm against the way our meat industry treats animals and am against animal testing.

I don't think we have the right to make animals suffer. Animals eat other animals (or at least some do), there's nothing morally wrong with that, but I'm against the way our meat industry treats animals and am against animal testing.

Man, you would hate the things I've done to mosquitoes. I have lured, tortured and killed them, including through use of chemical weapons.

Man, you would hate the things I've done to mosquitoes. I have lured, tortured and killed them, including through use of chemical weapons.

I leave mosquitoes alone if they leave me alone - they bite me, I bite back :crazyeye:

I leave mosquitoes alone if they leave me alone - they bite me, I bite back :crazyeye:

Leaving them alone allows them to bite someone else.

Top Bottom