What Sadist chose the Modern Era Music?

neriana said:
1000 times 0 is still zero ;).

LOL! that's great.

Is ALL the modern music in the game John Adams? I think it is, but...

And how can you not like a song that says "behemoth pulls the peasants' plow"?

When I first got to the modern age I thought, "Man, there's going to be a riot over this music." I must admit it was not completely pleasant to be yanked from feeling like Napoleon carrying on a campaign in the east to the sophisticated sounds of Brahms and Dvorak to what I thought was Phillip Glass--minimalist, repetitive, drawn out, obscure pieces I wouldn't listen to except in a very special mood.

But as I played the next 50 turns or so, there was one song that had slowly grown into something truly beautiful. It was as if there were two songs going on simultaneously--not quite clashing, yet sharing no traditional harmonic bond as with classical counterpoint (the Chconne). Though I still prefer Dvorak and Bach's interweaving, I was impressed. Then the song about the peasants was interesting, but I didn't know if it was an existing work or not. I learned it was from "Nixon in China," the lyrics carrying a Marxist content in an amusing way when set in Civ 4.

I would never have known about John (Coolidge) Adams if it hadn't been for this game, so I have to say I'm glad it was inflicted on me so I could be exposed to a new, talented composer outside my normal taste.

My complaint is that I wish they had included more variety. I agree with whoever said Bartok and Shostakovitch, and I'd add Prokofiev, Janacek, arvo part, and some newer composers I've never heard of. Oh, and Gustav Holst's Jupiter or something like that would probably fit well.

I also agree with those that wanted some jazz and blues, though I'm not sure what would sound epic or 'civilizationy' enough. Same with rock or techno, but by now you're getting into angering some and being forced to exclude all kinds of good stuff from one genre or another (not to mention having to pay all kinds of rights if they included a widely varied selection).

Still, the nod to Lou Reed was nice.

The modern music is not half as bad as the "new age" african chanting at the Classical period.

Why can't it be some decent music in the Ancient era? Is it because they think most people stay so close to their cities that they actually listen to the national theme or what?

I try to extract the Civ2 music and put it in the Ancient+Classical folders.

The music from Civ2 was the best :thumbsup:

A lot of the music is great but there is some modern era piece of music or battle music that grates on my nerves in a bad way, and is the main reason I have the game music totally disabled. That and if I hear the main menu music one more time I might snap.

Zhahz said:
A lot of the music is great but there is some modern era piece of music or battle music that grates on my nerves in a bad way, and is the main reason I have the game music totally disabled. That and if I hear the main menu music one more time I might snap.

I think the menu music is catchy :lol:

Now the civ 3 modern music--that was a true abomination. Bet the baby jesus is still crying every time it plays.

Mauritania said:
I have to say I would like to hear 'Blue Danube' played with a Theramin when you see the spaceship victory film. Just for the hallaroity of it!

Now that is an idea! I should ask my friend, who plays Theramin, how feasable it would be to play... or if you'd need several players to get it right...

There should of been some jazz in the Modern Era.

Top Bottom