What should be the next promotion for siege units?

geofelt

Warlord
For siege units, which I use mostly for attacking cities, My first three promotions are city raider, 1,2,and three.
After that, though, should it be drill to preserve the unit, or barrage to do more damage?
My inclination is drill.
Thoughts???

As dmoc says, you are doing something wrong if siege weapons survive that long...or you play below the difficulty you should ;)

Barrage is for disposable siege, the fodder you throw in first to soften them up a bit. Quality siege after CRIII uses drill. :evil:

I usually go CR1,2,3, barrage for city attacking seige.
Barrage 1,2,3, drill1, shock for seige use out of city.

Spain, Cyrus (CHA/IMP), and other CHA or IMP leaders who fought alot to earn the GGs and are using Theo/Vass civics to have highly promoted units, can easily these. Especially, with Great Wall. Also, when you have cannons, and have out teched the AIs.

Boudica and Genghis are good at this too.

As dmoc says, you are doing something wrong if siege weapons survive that long...or you play below the difficulty you should ;)

Actually it is pretty easy to have them survive that long on deity. One common method is to tech AL (build Pentagon and infantry) -> artillery (build 10 xp arty everywhere, more with ggs)-> flight (build fighters) -> bombers -> MARTY. You can start at 10xp and easily get a handful over the hump merely build barraging down the city first, hitting the defenders with air (airships, fighters or bombers), and then dropping CR3 siege on the place in reverse order of xp.

That being said, I don't think it matters what promos you give siege after CRIII.I've made it to drill III a couple of times and I've played around with barrage. Neither has been impressive and most of the time I just don't promote the suckers until I need an insta-heal.

Top Bottom