• Deus Ex

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Sins of a Solar Empire

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Baldur's Gate Series

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Other: (Post in the thread)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Nerd, go buy something productive you lazy ass.

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BalanceofTerror

Chieftain
Well, I recently bought Crusader Kings 2, (yeah, heh heh, by that I mean the day I posted this thread, before I bought the game)

I had a big long complicated list on the games that I have listed above, however, because I'm such a clumsy lazy ass, I deleted it, and I don't want to post it again. but I'll give you a brief summary.

I have purchased Crusader Kings 2, the original Half Life, and the Witcher. I have $12.00 left on a gift card I received. Most, if not all of the games listed on here I can buy. (thanks to Amazon and Steam) (Except CK 2, which I already bought) If you're going to vote for a particular option, you'll need to inform me on why you like the game and why you think I should buy it.

Great picks already with The Witcher 1 and Half-Life 1 :)

Crusader King's II is really good, although I myself have yet to pick it up but others here can go into more detail on why.

I haven't played NWN yet either, although it has been highly recommended to me (and I think the best place to get it is probably GOG.com).

I also haven't played L.A Noire yet either but from what I've seen and read it will more than likely be well worth a measly $5.

Playing Portal was one of the most amazing ~3 hour experiences of my life and I highly recommend getting both Portal 1 & 2, but they will go on sale on Steam for much less than the current prices this summer (late June iirc is when they hold their big summer sale event and they will possibly go on sale before then too). The atmosphere, voice work and dialogue in the games are hilarious and top notch, and the puzzles are a lot of fun.

LOTRO is 'free2play' now so you won't need to spend money on it to play it (although I think there is a limit, I'm not sure exactly, Kan might know more but he has a lifetime sub).

I really enjoyed Trine and (surprise surprise) haven't picked up Trine 2 yet and it was recently on sale so it probably won't go on sale until the summer again. I have not heard much about it since its release, but I have also not heard anything negative about it and plan on picking it up in the summer.

I highly recommend Deus Ex, it is also $9.99 on GOG.com although the modding guide (really easy, basically a high res texture pack and a mostly bug fixing mod) works with the Steam version too. The game has very interesting plot based off of various conspiracy theories and a mixture of stealth and action gameplay as well as multiple routes through many levels and interesting details. The only two things I didn't like was the sound of the wind and the guns can be a little awkward due to the age of the game but it was a very rewarding experience.

I've heard great things about Sins but I haven't played it myself since I am not really that interest in that type of RTS.

DA:O is a very enjoyable game, but is not nearly as good as the Baldur's Gate games. Hundreds of unique NPCs to talk to, dozens of which have very involved stories of their own, and a very rich world to explore. There is a "true to the original" major update-thing with added content being made by Beamdog (see this thread for more info) but it will not be out for a while and no one knows how it will turn out (thankfully Bioware doesn't have anything to do with it anymore). As you have luckily found, you can get it pretty cheap and the 4 disc set is a nice find (they are also available on GOG.com (BG1 & BG2).

There are also hundreds of mods and user created additions to the game (which can be a little overwhelming with the mod guide I followed) but a few mods like a wide screen fix and porting BG1 into the B2 engine were totally worth going through it.

EDIT: Feel free to ask any more specific questions about the games, and what are you looking for in a new purchase the most?

EDIT2: Why delete the OP? There is nothing wrong with asking about various games here :/

-SNIP-
Why delete the OP? There is nothing wrong with asking about various games here :/

I deleted the OP because I decided to buy CK 2. (It appears it has won the poll so far as well) However, I still have $12.00 left. So I could buy most of these games. I'll consider your ideas.

Aw damn it. I had it in copypasta but I replaced it with something.

My personal choices would be between BTS, LA Noire, and Sins. BTS can produce several dozen hours of fun, LA Noire looks amazing (in fact I am getting it soon), and Sins is a pretty fun game too, although the short time I played it it didn't seem that there was really all that much to do besides repeatedly building ships and throwing them at enemies.

Neverwinter Nights is also very traditional caliber in crpg terms and its sequel
If you looking for a space 4x game Sins of Solar Empire should be a top choice
Civ4 the most complex civ sofar, by most fans better liked than successor civ5

Okay, so it's only the cheap options remaining right?

Neverwinter Nights is an excellent RPG engine (apparently a pretty faithful recreation of the D&D rules for computer), but the main quest is pretty awful. The expansion questlines are quite good, though. Main reason to get this one, though, is that it has probably the best and biggest collection of additional user-made quest content of any game (as in entirely stand-alone quest modules). There's some really diverse and high-quality stuff there.

As Maniacal has said, the Baldur's Gate games are awesome, and on a very similar note I would also direct your attention to Planescape: Torment, which is quite possibly the best game ever made.

I imagine the original Portal is going for less than $12 these days, and that would certainly also be a worthwhile way to spend the money.

I was also thinking of buying the Civilization III pack on Steam for $4.99. Is it better or about the same level of awesomeness as Civ IV?

I was also thinking of buying the Civilization III pack on Steam for $4.99. Is it better or about the same level of awesomeness as Civ IV?

It all depends on who you ask. Personally, as a player who went from Civ IV to Civ III, Civ III was much harder and just not as fun. That's just my opinion though, you'll find people here who say the exact opposite.

Civ4's resource system is great, the rest of the game wasn't particularly memorable and they managed to make the combat in Civ even worse. Civ3 is neat but I couldn't get into it, the civ games just have too many problems.You're better off spending the money on some of the other games.

Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a superb game. It's still in beta and will be released this summer.

why not civ5? you played any civs either?

I don't like the ideas of Civ V, and I've heard the community doesn't like it as much as the other Civ games. I trust the community more than the big name game reviewers.

So basically I'll either buy Portal or BTS. Decisions... Decisions.

Or what about Empire Earth? I've heard that's a pretty good game.

Oh, and Die by the Sword. It's $5.99 on GOG.com. I've heard it has a cool way of fighting with a sword by moving your mouse. Kind of like Mount and Blade.

I don't like the ideas of Civ V, and I've heard the community doesn't like it as much as the other Civ games. I trust the community more than the big name game reviewers.

So basically I'll either buy Portal or BTS. Decisions... Decisions.

Oh, and Die by the Sword. It's $5.99 on GOG.com. I've heard it has a cool way of fighting with a sword by moving your mouse. Kind of like Mount and Blade.

Civ V is still pretty popular. Daily, it's one of the most played games on Steam.

So basically I'll either buy Portal Or what about Empire Earth? I've heard that's a pretty good game.

I haven't played Empire Earth (although for some reason I have it on GOG.com, must have been free at some point last year) but I have heard good things about it too, but as I'm not a big fan of most RTS games I'd say go with Portal :) Despite 'only' three hours to get through the story (there are other maps (including community made ones) and challenge modes) but it achieves more in those three hours than some games do in 9 or more.

'K. So I've narrowed my choices down to three. Let's take a look at the pros and cons that I've heard about from reviews.

CIV IV: BEYOND THE SWORD: PROS: Great mods, (Fall from Heaven, Rhye's and Fall, dozens of others) that are much better than the original game. It has very innovative features and loads of new content. It has the most votes in the poll along with Portal and CK II (which I have already bought) CONS: It will empty my wallet and I won't be able to buy any more games, plus I'm just paying for an expansion.

PORTAL: PROS: Probably one of the most innovative and unique games of all time. Great reviews by everyone. It has a cool premise. CONS: Short length, not my style of gaming really. (I like strategy and RPG more than artsy games, but I play them sometimes)

DEUS EX: PROS: Awesome story, innovative and a variety of styles of gameplay. Unique and awesome plot. Very positive reveiws. CONS: I just have a weird feeling that it might feel like a glorified first person shooter, which I don't really like. I'll try the demo.

Of those three, Deus Ex 1 for sure. It is not a glorified FPS (shooting isn't the strongest feature) and its reputation as one of the great gaming classics is well deserved and most of the game still holds up well after all these years (the only awkward part was getting used to the shooting).

Even the new Deus Ex: Human Revolution is pretty good and despite having a much more modern shooting mechanic I found myself foregoing lethal weapons most of the time.

I know I'm too late, But Empire Earth 2 is a great game, especially if you're into Role Playing. The rotation and building system in the game makes for great city environments and you can easily change between friend and foe to simulate combat between two people.

The game itself is pretty damn fun too.

Top Bottom