What should i buy?

Stigma

Chieftain
Hello friends! I wanted to start a strategy game and after some research i think Civ 6 will be my pick.
This game has every aspect that i like in a game and i m thinking to give it a shot.

So what should i buy?
There seems to be Sid Meier's Civilization VI and also Sid Meier's Civilization VI platinum edition.
The second has 3 expansions and 6 scenario packs. What are those? Are they required to play? i mainly want to learn the game and focus on multiplayer. so the question is do i need the platinum edition in order to play the game?

First of all, welcome to the Civ 6 community and forums. :D Second, I recommend you get the Platinum Edition if your budget allows it. It's a good investment for the long run, but it's not necessary to play the game.

I like all of them. One warning though, the more expansions you play the more complicated the game might be for a new player. So it might be easier to start with the base game and add new things as you learn.

The second has 3 expansions and 6 scenario packs.

Platinum has 2 expansions, NFP is NOT included.
I would get the platinum if you want to play MP games. I can't talk about other groups but the groups I play with all use GS (one of the expansions) since it rounds the game alot. Also you don't need the NFP to play MP games as long as the host owns the NFP (you still cant pick the civs that came with NFP but you can enjoy all of the game modes that came with it).

If you wanna play singleplayer and just see how this game is buy the base game and save money . But this game is better in multiplayer and you will need rise and fall and gathering storm expansions in order to play 99% of multiplayer games (unless you have a group of friends that play vanilla) . The expansions add the loyalty and climate changes mechanics that make the game spicy . Well worth the money in my opinion.

Platinum has 2 expansions, NFP is NOT included.
I would get the platinum if you want to play MP games. I can't talk about other groups but the groups I play with all use GS (one of the expansions) since it rounds the game alot. Also you don't need the NFP to play MP games as long as the host owns the NFP (you still cant pick the civs that came with NFP but you can enjoy all of the game modes that came with it).
I think the 6 scenario packs the OP is talking about are the DLCs released between the base game and R&F, so like Poland, Macedon, Khmer, etc., which are included in the Platinum version.
Hello friends! I wanted to start a strategy game and after some research i think Civ 6 will be my pick.
This game has every aspect that i like in a game and i m thinking to give it a shot.

So what should i buy?
There seems to be Sid Meier's Civilization VI and also Sid Meier's Civilization VI platinum edition.
The second has 3 expansions and 6 scenario packs. What are those? Are they required to play? i mainly want to learn the game and focus on multiplayer. so the question is do i need the platinum edition in order to play the game?
You can wait for the game to be on sale (which is very frequent) to get yourself the platinum version. The base game is quite bare, but it does help you get used to basic game mechanics.

Reactions: PiR
It really depends on how confident you are that you will enjoy Civ. If you can, play a game at a friend's house or something, see if you like it first. It can get quite expensive, fast, but if you enjoy the genre and how it works, it's worth every penny.

If you know that you'll enjoy it or you're just loose with your wallet, get the platinum edition, no ifs, buts or maybes. The expansion packs massively increase the quality of the game, and I believe it would be cheaper onto get the platinum even if you're not fussed about the DLCs.

If you're not sure, Epic Stores (and probably Steam, but I'm not sure if they do, I don't use them) do a platinum upgrade. It's probably more.expensive than getting it one swoop, but may well be a compromise if you want to test the waters.

If you don't go down the platinum route for any reason, I'd be careful about the DLCs. They won't individually contribute that much and the cost adds up. Only buy them if you particularly want each one for a reason - the game is full enough without them, so no need to buy them to pack the game out.

NFP will come separately and I wouldn't bother buying it at first. Play with the base game and/or expansions etc, and if you really enjoy it, consider getting NFP. Again, so your research, work out if you want enough of the individual packs to warrant buying the season pass.

As for playing, the game is very complex. Personally, I recommend what I did. Play the base game first (you can disable the expansion packs, DLCs can stay enabled if you wish, they don't matter) and get used to shown the game works. Once you're comfortable, enable the expansion packs (do both at the same time). They'll change up the game quite a bit and make it more complicated, but with the grounding that you've already gotten, It will be more manageable.

Good luck.

Reactions: PiR
Civ 6 is the first in the series or the first of this type that I've played and have not regretted any of it. I bought the full set of expansions and NFP, but I'll echo the suggestion someone made above to ease into it. I played the base game for a while, then played R&F for a while, then finally built up to Gathering Storm.

Have you played Civ before? Have you played 4x games before?

I recommend Base Game Delux Edition + Gathering Storm (2nd expansion). That's all you need to enjoy the game in its current state. (Gathering Storm includes all mechanics from the 1st Expansion).

Deluxe Edition: 17€
Base Game costs about 13-14€. If you buy Deluxe Edition you get an extra 7 Civilizations for only 3€.

Gathering Storm : 8.60€
Brings you up to current ruleset and you take advantage of all monthly updates.

Cost: 26€

Nothing else is necessary. Don't buy Platinum. It costs 35€ and the only difference is that it also includes Rise & Fall (First Expansion. It adds 8 new Civs and some new Wonders and City-States).

Thing is, you can always buy Rise & Fall later, for 9€... bringing the cost to 35€ anyway, so there's zero reason to buy Platinum.

I'll echo what other people are saying and say to get the main concepts of the game you only need the Base game, or Deluxe Edition to get the other DLCs cheaper, and Gathering Storm expansion.
Start by playing with the base game rules first and then when you feel comfortable try the Gathering Storm rule sets.

Then if you enjoy it I would get the NFP next which adds in more playable civilizations and alternate game modes that you can try out.

Last but maybe least would be Rise&Fall if not for more civilizations and wonders. :mischief:

Last edited:
For me I would dive in all out. I would not buy the scenarios unless they are included in s bundle. I have played since Civ 1 in 1993. I want the most up to date version and all DLC.

That said buy base game and in a few games you will know if if this is your type of enjoyment to relax and have fun. If it is then start upgrading to NFP. Remember to wait for Spring Sale on Steam. You can save a ton of money when going from base game to NFP. Especially if you are in England where the prices seem higher than U.S.

If you love the game enjoy until a Steam Sale and upgrade as much as you can.

Brew God

If you wanna play multiplayer you may have to get certain content that other people play with in order to join those games. Gathering Storm expansion for sure.

Gathering storm include all the latest balance tweaks and also a good part of the earlier expansion if you don't have it. I don't recommend you buy anything more, at least not in the beginning.

I think the 6 scenario packs the OP is talking about are the DLCs released between the base game and R&F, so like Poland, Macedon, Khmer, etc., which are included in the Platinum version.

Yeah, those are the DLCs but he mentioned 3 expansions next to the DLCs as well. Maybe its a typo but I just wanted to make sure that he knows NFP is not in the plat version :)

Wait for a steam sale, and then get the best choice value wise. Definitely get the Australia DLC though.

Wait for a steam sale, and then get the best choice value wise. Definitely get the Australia DLC though.
You mean "Waltzing Matilda" is all worth it? :cooool:

You mean "Waltzing Matilda" is all worth it? :cooool:
It also comes with Uluru natural wonder. :p

I would say if you had to choose between one buy the Persia and Macedon DLC first because it brings back a favorite civ and everyone's favorite leader. :mischief:

There's a Steam and Epic Stores sale now for Civ 6 and the various XPs etc including NFP. Might be worth seeing what you're willing to pay for now.

Top Bottom