1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What should I read next?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bozo Erectus, Feb 5, 2006.

?

Which one?

1. The Longest Day -Cornelius Ryan

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. Guns Germs and Steel -Jared Diamond

20 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. Citizen Soldiers -Stephen E Ambrose

3 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. I Was a Teenaged Radioactive Monkey -Dumb Pothead

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  1. Danghis Khan

Danghis Khan Your Friendly Pillager

I agree with the book choice (I'm about to start reading Collapse). For another good one try On the Origin of Species - of course you may have trouble finding a copy if you live in Kansas. :D :nuke:

I was thinking of starting a thread on good civ-related books and Guns Germs and Steel would be my number 1 choice.

2. Sparta

Sparta Chieftain

Btw, [Americans] with interest in GG&S - PBS is apparently doing a documentary on it (starting?) tomorrow night at 7 Central Time, IIRC (tomorrow night (2/7) for sure). I'm still torn as to whether I should watch it immediately, or tape it to save for when I finally finish the book, and will of course have hopelessly lost the original tape ...

3. Swiss Bezerker

Swiss Bezerker Chieftain

radioactive monkey for the win :thumbsup:

4. CartesianFart

CartesianFart Chieftain

5. elfangor801

elfangor801 So cold....

We watched the documentary version in AP World a few months ago and it seemed pretty good. It was only the movie and I know movies always come up short, but yeah, I got the feeling that his explanation is just a smidgen too easy.

On a sort of related topic rises and falls of groups of people, I recently starting reading the Bell Curve....there's an interesting one. Like halfway through and wowie

6. bad_ronald

bad_ronald All Knowing

Since the copyright has long since expired, you can view it free here. The Descent of Man is available at the same site.

An excellent choice! If you enjoyed it, you may find the following interesting: Race Differences in Intelligence: An Evolutionary Analysis by Richard Lynn and Race, Evolution and Behavior: A Life History Perspective by J.P. Rushton (abridged version available online here - large PDF file).

I also suggest the following classic: Heriditary Genius by Galton. He begins...

Galton's own genius is made even more amazing when one considers that Friedrich Miescher had only just discovered a substance he called 'nuclein' (DNA) in the same year it was authored.

7. elfangor801

elfangor801 So cold....

Yeah I remember both of those being referenced in the book I'll look into it :).