What should the US do now about Iraq?

What should the U.S. do now about Iraq?

• TROOPS OUT NOW!!!

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Lets wait until the end of 2006, if no progress has been made then pull out.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • STAY THE COURSE, stay AS LONG AS IT TAKES!

Votes: 36 58.1%

• Total voters
But what happens if they cannot? That is the question.

Then whatever happens, happens. If they cannot make a country for themselves, then us staying and holding their hands for the next 20 years won't help one bit. It will only waste American and Iraqi lives, not to mention American taxpayer's money, to delay the inevitable.

Democracy does not "come to those who love it," it comes to those who earn it, whether they earn it through blood or sweat.

Stevenpfo said:
Not American.

I hate that war but you don't make a mess and not clean it up.

I kinda agree with that. Everybody told the US govmt not to go there, told them their motives were balooney, and warned them about the risks. Now the US government should at least have the decency of not leaving before their job is done.

Speedo said:
Then whatever happens, happens. If they cannot make a country for themselves, then us staying and holding their hands for the next 20 years won't help one bit. It will only waste American and Iraqi lives, not to mention American taxpayer's money, to delay the inevitable.

Democracy does not "come to those who love it," it comes to those who earn it, whether they earn it through blood or sweat.
So if Iraq becomes a failed state like Afganistan, that would not bother you?

mazzz said:
well i see people like Cindy Sheehan (pull out now) as the far left

most of the American people according to scientific polls (significant troop withdraws by mid to late 2006) as center

and President Bush/loyal republicans (Stay the course)

Do you have any idea what you're saying? Polls are not scientific. Even if that was true, though, "significant troops withdrawls" ≠ "pull out entirely."

Whether it "bothers me" or not is irrelevant. The issue is out of our hands.

Speedo said:
Whether it "bothers me" or not is irrelevant. The issue is out of our hands.
How is it out of your hands? You may not believe this but your rep listens and above all reads letters.

Kayak said:
How is it out of your hands? You may not believe this but your rep listens and above all reads letters.

.... (10 chars)

Speedo said:
The only people now capable of making Iraq a stable country are the Iraqis.

What are you guys discussing down here? Do you get what it is all about? This is not a picnic or a walk in the park, it's a war. The Rubicon is crossed, the time to choose has passed. The USA has only two options - to win or to accept defeat (with all its cosequences). There is no middleground as the wussy US "leaders" suggest (Iraqi troops taking over and all that kind of crap). And that's not Vietnam - a forgotten corner of the world with symbolic strategic importance.

The_Harbinger said:
What are you guys discussing down here? Do you get what it is all about? This is not a picnic or a walk in the park, it's a war. The Rubicon is crossed, the time to choose has passed. The USA has only two options - to win or to accept defeat (with all its cosequences). There is no middleground as the wussy US "leaders" suggest (Iraqi troops taking over and all that kind of crap). And that's not Vietnam - a forgotten corner of the world with symbolic strategic importance.
I don't think anyone compared the situation in Iraq to a picnic or a walk in the park. :hmm: The USA has more than two options, and yours are not the ones. There is going to be a withdrawal of US troops in the future. Wether this future is close or not is the question.

What's your idea for a solution? Kill everyone and never let the Iraqis rule their country? Even Dubya makes more sense that that.

mazzz said:
I have the far left, centerist, and far right options

But you lack the option: change your tactics as the current ones aren't working well. And I disagree that 'stay' is a far right option. Any responsible person would say stay since we are already there and put the country in the current state that it is. Sen Lieberman had a great proposal yesterday regarding forming a bipartisan war council.

The only reasonable option the US really had and probably still has is to increase its troops levels in Iraq to some reasonable ratio of say 1 soldier to 10 - 20 local population, as Russians did in Chechnia, to impose basic law and start "rebuilding" from there. I strongly believe this would save a lot of Iraqi lives! The current strategy is just pathetic in every aspect!

A lot of it, of course, will be contingent on how well armed, trained, and motivated the Iraqi Army and police- so far, it's not looking good. Despite the Administrations assertions that they are more and more ready, the commanders on the ground say they are unmotivated, undisciplined, and unready. We'll be there in 10 years time with about 25-50% of current troop strength.

In 1937 when the allied forces negotiated between themselves what to do with Germany, one of the options was to perform Quick Assault Strategy. If it had been chosen, it wouldn't have died over 50.000.000 people.

Maybe it's the same thing with Iraq?

The middle one seems the sane option, if only due to the lack of block capitals and exclamation marks.

Stay until the jobs done, i didn't like the idea for the war, and don't expect any foreign help but America made the mess and they would clean it up

Install me as puppet dictator. I'll take care of the insurgents. On a related note: anyone know were I can find a good supply of mustard gas?

Evil Tyrant said:
On a related note: anyone know were I can find a good supply of mustard gas?

Come by my house in an hour or so. I'm eating a couple of hot dogs and they are simply awash in grey poupon.

Moving on to the legitimate part of my post. We obviously cannot 'cut and run'. I actually think we're on the cusp of potentially vast improvements. The third election in the country is coming up here in 8 days. This one will institute the first true constitutionally-based government in the country. Call me crazily optimistic, but I think that will be a huge turning point after which things really start falling into place.

Kayak said:

Speedo said:
The only people now capable of making Iraq a stable country are the Iraqis.

And back round the circle...

Kayak said:
But what happens if they cannot? That is the question.
Could we really go if Iraq really becomes a haven for terrorist? Terrorist who can then develope the reach to strike at other countries?

deusdies said:
In 1937 when the allied forces negotiated between themselves what to do with Germany, one of the options was to perform Quick Assault Strategy. If it had been chosen, it wouldn't have died over 50.000.000 people.

Maybe it's the same thing with Iraq?

In 1914 Germany Launched a "pre-emptive" strike on France which was viewed as "self defence". Maybe If they hadn't ww1 (and ww2) could have been prevented

there is a massive shortage of poll options, i would say in the next 2 and a half months, not depending on whether progress has been made.

Top Bottom