What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?

Slip de Garcon

Warlord
What single feature/gameplay element/bug annoys you most about this game? But please make it something specific, not just "the AI" or some such.

I'll preface this by saying I love Civ VI. But...

I'll tell you what mine is, and it's enough to make me swear when I'm already having a bad game: the way the interface moves to the next unit to be moved half a second AFTER you have clicked on a different unit you want to deal with first.

Do you know what I mean? Example: you are attacking a city and it's a close fought thing.

First unit the game wants you to move is a builder doing something near your capital.

As you deal with him, you notice an archer you've just built in your capital, so as soon as you've assigned the builder you click on him to move him towards the enemy city you are hitting, the interface registers that you have selected him... THEN moves to a badly damaged archer in the combat zone, just in time for you to then inadvertently move him in to danger.

So you then have a choice of losing him, or going to make a cup of tea while the game reloads.

<Screams>

Finally: I'm sure this has been done before but I gave up forum search functions for New Year 2010.

the way the interface moves to the next unit to be moved half a second AFTER you have clicked on a different unit you want to deal with first.

I resisted for as long as I could, but in the end I just disabled the unit cycling feature. I was hoping they would fix it, but it was never really fixed. So it's disabled. I actually like the way the game flows better this way. I should have done it much sooner.

I resisted for as long as I could, but in the end I just disabled the unit cycling feature. I was hoping they would fix it, but it was never really fixed. So it's disabled. I actually like the way the game flows better this way. I should have done it much sooner.
I agree with the OP, that is so incredibly annoying. Up until now, I've also resisted disabling that unit cycle feature, but maybe I'll try it now.

I agree with the OP, that is so incredibly annoying. Up until now, I've also resisted disabling that unit cycle feature, but maybe I'll try it now.

Can you just disable it with a setting?

Can you just disable it with a setting?

Yes, and it remembers for all future games.

I disabled unit auto-cycling partway through my first game of Civ 6. Through all the patches and R&F, I've never had to disable it again, the game has always remembered that it's turned off.

I love the game dynamics of Civ VI, and it those terms it has the potential to be better than Civ IV (and clearly better than Civ V), but the game is so ugly in visual terms that I can barely bring myself to play it. Civ isn't about the graphics but in the case of Civ VI they are so bad that it destroys the immersive nature of the game.

For me, without a doubt, it's dealing with the constant useless "leftover" movement points for each unit before I can end the turn.

I hit "space" after finishing the unit's move, then the game won't come back to the unit. Still a keystroke, of course.

The slow update cycle. When an update breaks or bugs something (like alert units not waking up) we're stuck with it for months.

Yes, and it remembers for all future games.

I disabled unit auto-cycling partway through my first game of Civ 6. Through all the patches and R&F, I've never had to disable it again, the game has always remembered that it's turned off.

I just tried it and TBH it was just as bad but in a different way. Oh, choices.

The other thing that's comically bad about the unit cycling in Civ VI is when it constantly almost selects a certain unit, then moves to another. So for example you'll get a missionary for 0.25 of a second then it goes to worker. You assign the worker, the missionary flashes up... and it goes to an archer. It usually gets to this flashed up unit last of all. Bizarre.

The lacking gameplay explanations in the Civilopedia for me (especially regarding how tourism is calculated), and a close second is unfortunately the graphics, which seem too plasticky to me despite the great leader animations (even though some leaders appear made of plasticine). And don't even get me started on the leader backgrounds. Civ V and Civ IV at least had more unified art styles.

That a single continent can be massive. I was watching a streamer on twitch and he was playing on a small map which has 6 Civs. 5 of the 6 Civs spawned on a single continent and the other Civ had it's own continent. Crazy.

Plus I know from first hand experience how massive Continents can be. And TBH I reckon when I see a Continent split near my starting location more often than not I see THREE continents rather than two, if I zoom all the way out. I hope Firaxis addresses this issue in the future.

That a single continent can be massive. I was watching a streamer on twitch and he was playing on a small map which has 6 Civs. 5 of the 6 Civs spawned on a single continent and the other Civ had it's own continent. Crazy.

Plus I know from first hand experience how massive Continents can be. And TBH I reckon when I see a Continent split near my starting location more often than not I see THREE continents rather than two, if I zoom all the way out. I hope Firaxis addresses this issue in the future.
This really annoys me, Continents have no real seperation either like a mountain range, large sea or even a large river, they are just seperated by what seems to be a grid generated over the map at the start of the game with names assigned to zones.

How late Great Musicians come into play only to slap you with cringe-inducing MIDI samples. :cringe:

For me at the moment it is everything around the Culture Victory

The religion victory. I find it one of the most stupid design decisions of the entire franchise (yeap, even more stupid than global happiness). I cannot help but think that it was introduced for the sake of "changing what was there before" (and worked perfectly fine): the diplo victory. Instead of expanding/bettering the diplo victory and system, they created this pseudo-magical idiocy where monks summon lightning strikes on each other. Meeh..

The religion victory. I find it one of the most stupid design decisions of the entire franchise (yeap, even more stupid than global happiness). I cannot help but think that it was introduced for the sake of "changing what was there before" (and worked perfectly fine): the diplo victory. Instead of expanding/bettering the diplo victory and system, they created this pseudo-magical idiocy where monks summon lightning strikes on each other. Meeh..
The idea of a religious victory is good. The implementation of the entire Civ5 and Civ6 religious system, on the other hand, is horrible. Religious doctrine is not a zero sum game, apostolic wizard duels is a horrible visual for theological debates, theological debates rarely have much impact on the lay folk anyway, and really just the entire thing is a very poor reflection of how state and church interact (hint: rulers are more than happy to claim divine endorsement of their rule but rarely have a good relationship with the actual ecclesiastic hierarchy, viz. the entire history of the Middle Ages--investiture conflict, Cluniac reforms, crusades to keep those mindless nobles off the Church's doorstep, the martyrdom of Thomas Beckett, etc.).

Top Bottom