1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

What single thing annoys you most about Civ VI?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Slip de Garcon, Aug 28, 2018.

1. acluewithout

acluewithout Warlord

I like the Religion system a lot. The main thing that would make it better is getting rid of the Relgious Victory, with Religion then being just another way to help build economy, diplomacy and steer to another victory condition. Making Religion a victory type has meant Religion had to be very carefully balanced with other victory types, and I think has resulted in Religion mechanics being too underpowered and or restricted. Just one example: because of RV, if you haven’t founded a Religion, you are very much disincentivised from “adopting” someone else’s Religion as your own or helping them spread their Religion (eg for diplomatic reasons).

If they introduce a Diplomatic Victory, I hope they use that as an excuse to get rid of RV.

2. Eva-kun

Eva-kun Chieftain

I believe they invest far too much into religion to ditch the victory type.

I didn't mind religion in Civ5, but religion seems crippling at times since it's requires a district. So, instead of building a campus or theater, you build a holy site. While some beliefs help with culture and science, I rather spend time building the other districts first. Scaling cost of missionaries and apostle doesn't help the situation. Also, don't forget holy site generate no points to any type of great people after you obtain your prophet, which should be address next expansion. You should be able to earn religion based great person after your religion is founded.

Aramanesh likes this.
  3. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

That is indirectly true. It had an effect on who I do NOT worship (whoever Firaxite came up with the idea).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  4. Human Crouton

Human Crouton Chieftain

The religion victory really is stupid. It gives an incentive for no other civilization to ever spread a religion other than its own. Add to that the very mediocre follower beliefs, and religion is pretty much stagnant.

Religion should be something that helps you, and those spreading it, win the game in other ways.

5. Aldor

Aldor Chieftain

Without a doubt it is the always way-too-close-starting AI, which then also decides it has to forward settle you. I really wish there was a slider for "Start distance to other AI" in the game options...

6. KayAU

KayAU Chieftain

It is going to take some self-discipline to choose just one, but I will try: The fact that tall cities provide so little benefit compared to smaller ones bothers me greatly. In my opinion, a single size 16 city requires more effort to create, and should be better than 4 size 4s. This ties into the way districts work, as was touched upon by kryat previously. Districts are the main resource generator in Civ 6, and provide both yields and great people. It is unfortunate that, for example, the Commercial Hub in a tiny town provide pretty much the same amount of gold and Great Merchant points as the Commercial Hub in your capital. There is a tiny bit of synergy for larger cities in that they can place districts together for adjacency bonuses, but this amounts to so little, it is really not worth the effort of getting another 3 population to reap the extra +0.5 adjacency bonus.

There are so many ways they could amend this. Increase the yields for district workers, and make them generate Great People Points. Add/increase synergy bonuses for having a higher population or higher number of districts. Gate off higher tier district buildings based on population. Perhaps create a 4th tier of district building as well, limited to particularly huge cities.

I personally enjoy closely managing a smaller number of cities, and Civ 6, with it's new district and wonder placement mechanics could have been great for that.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  7. rlw33

rlw33 Chieftain

Clicking next turn, it begins doing its thing, and then the exclamation mark appears because apparently your turn wasn't over after all.

Ondolindë, Xur, ZubieMaster and 2 others like this.
  8. Halcyan2

Halcyan2 Chieftain

The artwork / art style, especially the ugly, cartoony leaders.

Quintillus, SelmanV, cinattra and 2 others like this.
  9. Ozisl

Ozisl Chieftain

1) Sean Bean. Not Sean himself, just the voiceover itself every time.

But really

2) Religious unit bombing

Xur likes this.
  10. Lord Lakely

Lord Lakely Unintentionally a feminist.

When you become the suze of a City State and then one of your Major Civ allies DoW's that City State and conquers it. :mad::mad::mad:

I also hate it when I click the "Auto-explore" hotkey (E) with my scout selected, ONE OF MY OTHER UNITS, THAT I HADN'T EVEN SELECTED, ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MAP, STARTS EXPLORING INSTEAD. wtf.

11. ezzlar

ezzlar Chieftain

How the difficulty is always highest during the early game and then drops as the game progresses.

Atlas627, Elhoim, Buckets and 6 others like this.
  12. marius_kaparius

marius_kaparius Chieftain

My biggest annoyance is lack of railroads on the map. I want to see little choo choo trains going back and forth :)

SelmanV, Elhoim, Aramanesh and 2 others like this.
  13. WorldWarIV

WorldWarIV Captain

How little the developers seem to be hyped by their game.

SelmanV and MisterBoomBoom like this.
  14. Mojo85

Mojo85 Chieftain

How a units move will cancel if anothe unit 20 blocks away moves into its pathway. It’s going to move the next turn, just keep ^}*ing walking!!!

Zuizgond, Tech Osen, Xur and 2 others like this.
  15. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

That a civ can attack a city state without automatically going to war with the city state's suzerain. That a civ can be at war with a city state that an ally is suzerain of.

Most annoying consequence of this (in combination with the stupid AI) is when you have to completely surround a valuable city state with your units while your ally brings it down to zero hit points every turn. For millennia.

(There may be other things ultimately more annoying to me, but that's the one I'm having to deal with in my current game.)

cinattra, Zuizgond, King Rad and 10 others like this.
  16. Hawke9

Hawke9 Chieftain

The ugly map.

17. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

I hate going back and forth across the screen from one screen to the next because the 'x' is in different corners each time. It's like this is their first UI.

18. Vandlys

Vandlys Chieftain

No supported, properly functioning worldbuilder. : (

19. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

It will be very hard to only pick one thing that annoys me. But since no one else has mentioned it (and most people seem to have the completely opposite opinion), I'm going to go out on a limb and say I just don't care for Districts. It was an interesting idea, but I don't like how it works in practice.

I think the devs said they wanted to do it so that not every city will have all the same buildings in them. But why not? A city in civ is not equivalent to a city IRL, it's more like a "greater metropolitan area" instead. And it's hard to find a real life GMA that doesn't have at least one of everything in the Civ 6 districts.

That, and they wanted to make the map more important. You are supposed to make important decisions on where you place stuff and plan for the long term. Instead it just makes me hesitate to place anything because I'm always paranoid that I'm going to realize later in the game that I placed a district in a spot where I should have placed something else. And you can't destroy a district and replace it, so you're screwed if you make a bad choice.

Sadly, I haven't even played the game in a few months. The last time I did play, I did so out of a sense of obligation, not because I truly wanted to. For the first time in the more than 26 years I've been playing this franchise, I've gone back to the previous iteration and started playing Civ 5 again.

20. Eliminator_Sr

Eliminator_Sr Chieftain

Probably that there is a very clear and easy formula for victory: Survive the first 50 turns, build/chop an army (upgrade as needed), crush a neighbor or two and cruise to victory. Magnus and chopping overflow are a very close second.

Stringer1313 and ZubieMaster like this.