What social class are you?

What social class would you/your family describe yourself as?

• Total voters

ComradeDavo

Formerly God
Inspired by a conversation earlier where my mum (who does alot of research into our family tree) described our family as never being well off (aka always working class), I thought i'd ask what 'social class' you people here at CFC think of yourselfs and your family as being.

Divided it into 5 options for the poll, aka I sperated middle class into 3 sections to represent the divides there.

In before the "working class" semantic complaints!

I'm upper-middle-class income with lower-middle-class lifestyle

In before the "working class" semantic complaints!
Yeah I understand that many would divide that further (as on the wiki article for social class where you see splits between 'working class' and 'the poorest') but I just combined them into 'working class' to make the poll more straight forward.

I can't not work. But I know many people who are much worse off than my family is. Discounting my parents, by myself, I'm definitely at the bottom. But I live with them right now.

Hell, I don't know.

I'm middle class. Or at least my family is middle class. :)

A few vacations before becoming a university student class. Since right now i am more of a leech and my income comes from my parents one could say bottom of the chain. However i am getting a personal income from them (Call it a donation) and i am doing very well with it. Simply money is not an issue because i would rather miss something that i want than stay out of money. I like to program my expenses and that means that i will manage on the transitioning period until i would be able to fully sustain myself.

Based purely on income, working class. Based on where I will be once I'm done with college, firmly middle class.

you're doing it wrong! :lol:

That is, of course, unless he's throwing most of it into savings, in which case his frugalness sets him above the vast majority of Americans.

Moderator Action: Anymore spam and we'll have a problem. Answer the question or else...

One thing that intrigues me is why the politically correct movement, in its noble crusade to protect us all from offensive terms, has not taken issue with the term "working class" in the context that it is used in most countries.

Basically it is used as a synonim for "lower income". The obvious implication is that the rest of society does not work, or at least does no "real work", and rather lives on with their rents and stocks. If that is not offensive to a doctor that works 6 days a week and over 12 hours a day (like several I know), then I don't know what is.

I like the very Gaussian nature of the results. Cool that that actually worked out.

I'm between middle and upper-middle. I'm a college student. I work full-time in the summer and part-time during the school year to pay for part of my public college tuition. Scholarships and my parents pay for the rest of it. A few people work two jobs in the school year and over full-time in the summer, but they weren't born on first base like I was, or third base like a lot of people at my college.

What's 100k per year living in an apartment in California?

I put lower middle class because the apartment part.

My family qualifies for food stamps, but we don't take them because we have what we need and don't want for much.

Former working class stiff turned middle class stiff.

Working class would be a more specific term to classify unskilled laborers entirely dependent upon physical labor for a living. They may have similar incomes to middle cass individuals, but the middle class is typically said to be composed of skilled workers with a limited degree of economic independence.

Top Bottom