1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

What social class are you?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ComradeDavo, May 26, 2008.

?

What social class would you/your family describe yourself as?

1. Working Class

12.0%
  2. Lower Middle Class

15.3%
  3. Middle Class

34.0%
  4. Upper Middle Class

25.3%
  5. Upper Class

7.3%
  6. Dunno?

6.0%
  1. Arwon

Arwon

That's because in the UK class is more complicated than just money, though money is a part of it. In the US "class" does basically mean "income level".

2. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Absolutely Sane

There you go, bringing class into it again!

Lower-middle or Middle class I think. But not sure what to base this on)

I based it on: middle management/lower than usual salary. But I have no idea if that's right.

3. soul_warrior

soul_warrior Termite!

right now im lower middle class.
    i work, and i cant afford to stop for anything longer than a month.
    but i do IT work, not "backbreaker" work.
    im well on my way to middle middle class, with expected raizes in my paychecks soon (in the next 2-3 years i expect to double-triple my income)

i have enough cash on hand to want for nothing, even if i dont go on a twice yearly vacation, nor eat out at fancy places too often.
    but i do plan on taking 6 weeks off to travel australia in about 6 months....

4. Richard Cribb

Richard Cribb He does monologues

I would have commented on his rant but for the fact that I no longer address people with troll avatars and/or sigs.

In short, a belief that the 19th century is indefinite and timeless.
    And consequently, a belief that said class' moral, ethical and political values as well as their social formation should somehow be universal and superior. Exhibit A; this forum. Estimatedly 95% here seem to think in this way and sometimes when I go here I get the feeling of having arrived on Mars.
    Since my name is not Pierre Bourdieu, I leave it with this for the moment.

5. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

I'm in the smartest class :smug:

(Actually, upper-lower middle class)

6. holy king

holy king Deity

lumpenproletariat.

7. obliterate

obliterate Warrior Monk

I don't believe in class stratification.

8. Hygro

Hygro soundcloud.com/hygro/

stop posting at 3 am Hygro

9. Princeps

Princeps More bombs than God

I'm probably an upper-middle class limo-lib

10. aneeshm

aneeshm Deity

I'm classy enough not to equate class with only money. ;)

Income-wise, I'm a college student who is having his education funded by his parents.

I can expect an upper-middle class lifestyle as soon as my education is over.

What does that make me?

11. classical_hero

classical_hero In whom I trust

Thankfully I did not take Social Studies when I was younger, so I am now in no class at all. Yeah I know it is a terrible joke of the different meanings of those two words.

Anyway, I would say that right now I am definitely working class, but I know that my family is much more middle class or even upper middle class.

12. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

My parents are working class and I have been working class all my life, but I hope to escape soon.

13. linfeixb27

linfeixb27 Warlord

It is quite interesting that the result is just like normal distribution,which I learned weeks ago.

14. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

Dude, it's just the most common term here for the 'lower' class. I base it on European/British models, as thats what I know best.

Well I can't truely say for the USA, but in the UK these distinctions exist and are very visable. Aka lower middle class get by but stuggle occasionally, middle class are always well off but not as much so as the upper middle class which are the very rich and enjoy many luxuries. Then theres the upper class which today consists of celebreties just as much as the 'capitalists' and 'aristocracy'.

As I say, I am basing it largely on European/British terms, because that is what I know. Here outside the big cities (e.g London, Birmingham, Glascow etc) the finanicial distinctions between working class and lower middle class have withered, so it's as much based on background as it is current situation. In those big cities though the distinctions remian apparant.

Of course I understand that this differes from country to country, and 'unskilled laborers' is a good term perhaps for the Americna working class, the 'blue collar workers' as such.

Ah sorry I did not remember it!:blush:

Really? You can afford to go on month long cruises of the Carribean on a whim, for example? If not then I wouldn't say upper!:crazyeye: My defintion of upper middle class are those that 'loaded' and have lots of cash to fling around! Perhaps it is different in Switzerland?

Yes, it to me is as much about background and status as it is money!

Ah that is indeed intresting, where did you learn that?

15. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

Well, I think that this requires a long explanation in my case:

- My dad was a master in his guild (textile machines repairing or something like this), and he gets right now the highest pension I've never heard off (over 2000 € monthly).

We're 3 brothers and 3 sisters:

- one of my sisters works as accountant

- one of my sisters works in a plastics factory

- the last sister works as baker

- one of my brothers works in a chemical factory

- the other brother is currently working in a factory only to save money to emmigrate to the USA (Hollywood) to work as a photographer & cameraman. We already know people there (A part of our family is working there, look for Sidell Chase in the IMDb ;))

- I'm studying at the university (translation from german & chinese into catalan & spanish)

- My mother has always been an housewife.

So I guess that we're an example of lower middle-middle class. Even though 4 of my brothers are clearly lower middle class (they are not strict blue collars because the have an education that allows them to be promoted), three of us (my accountant sister, my father and me) are clearly examples of middle class. And my mother can't be placed in any class, because there's housewifes in every class. So the answer is:

My family is lower middle-middle class, but I'm middle class.

16. gangleri2001

gangleri2001 Garbage day!!!

17. Grisu

Grisu Draghetto Retired Moderator

that's the problem with all these class stuff...it's so relative :) month long cruises on a whim would be an upper class thing for me. specifically the term loaded is one that I would associate with upper class :) I could afford one or two such cruises at the moment, but that's it...maybe I'm lower upper middle class ;)

My definition of middle class would be the average person, who lives without many monetary sorrows, but who still has to watch his finances. He can go on a vacation once or twice a year.
    At the moment, I am financially beyond that since both me and my gf are working full-time at rather good paying jobs. Of course that's gonna change as soon as the kid's here, then our income will be almost halved :run:

to be honest the thing that made me finally decide for one class was the graph posted by elta, and there I'm firmly in the upper middle bracket. Although I have to admit I have no idea how accurate said graph is.

but that said, the concept of 'class' is somewhat foreign to me, since around here people aren't usually divided into it. aristocracy was never an issue here, and money isn't really a divider in our society. I've got friends in all possible income classes from unemployed through low-income jobs up to rather rich people, and I think the same could be said of most swiss people.

18. Elta

Elta 我不会把这种

On top of the monetary conversion it is a much different issue with a country of immigrants. Even very different for different parts of my country.

Over 90% of the population of Clark County was not here just 22 years ago. Nearly everyone is new here so culturally we are all very alike. The only thing left is the money issue.

19. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

I see!

''who lives without many monetary sorrows, but who still has to watch his finances. He can go on a vacation once or twice a year.'' - Thats defo lower middle class to me. Upper class I count as celebrities and buissness owners and so forth, the likes of Alan Sugar and David Beckham! Upper middle class are thus those who aren't famous as such, but do have alot of cash to spend freely, middle class are those who are wealthy and do fine, lower middle class that whioch i just quoted and working class those who have always historiclaly struggled to keep on going, who in the modern world can afford the occaisionally holiday and a games console but nothing too fancy!

Elta's garph is very US focused, I think in Europe it has always been very different, for a start we had feudalism in the past and they don't really have much of a past! (aka they never had serfs/peasants, though they have farmers it is different).

20. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

Working class, if I lived by myself I would struggle. My family is also working class a long line of working class types, working down the mines and stuff